IGNORED

Antoine is His Name

Port Said Red

I was watching a stream of the Rams TV and they were all about Semenyo, what a handful he was, almost unplayable at times and they were right. 

If he can just get a little more clinical in front of goal......... But 7 goals and 10 assists in 29 games suggests he is getting better and better 

And Rams TV his name is Antoine not Anton or Antony, both of which I heard today. :)

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 3

Thing is

There will be some very big clubs looking at him and if the price is right we will sell

Im not sure what AS earns a week but as a local lad starting at the club my guess would be 5k tops

Unless City up that to 20k and that’s what a decent striker can earn in the championship he will have his head turned by other clubs  

Shame

Ad he could light the club up next season 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Clevedon Red said:

I really hope he stays Massengo, Scott, Pring happy if they go ahead of the beast.

We’ll struggle to replace Massengo and Semenyo, think we can live without Scott and Pring.

Unfortunately it’s Massengo and Semenyo who are most likely to leave.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Dolman Block B said:

Thing is

There will be some very big clubs looking at him and if the price is right we will sell

Im not sure what AS earns a week but as a local lad starting at the club my guess would be 5k tops

Unless City up that to 20k and that’s what a decent striker can earn in the championship he will have his head turned by other clubs  

Shame

No idea if true but heard he’s on significantly less than that currently. 

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No idea if true but heard he’s on significantly less than that currently. 

I know it's easier said then done but we really should be offering all the youngsters the best wages possible in the summer. They're all key first team players.

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

49 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Yes they would be the ones slagging him off when he was a teenager. 

I'll put my hand up and say I was sceptical about whether he'd develop to be good enough because the cameos we saw from him before this season were usually not that impressive.  We know from experience that some young players can seem very promising, but never kick on to quite make it at second tier level. Antoine looked OK at hold-up play and had some nice touches, but in front of goal he was like a rabbit-in-headlights. 

But I wasn't slagging him off. The point is unless you coached him day in, day out and knew the young man well you probably didn't know his full potential and it's also very true that some young players who can seem a bit lost in their debut First XI appearances can mature, develop, learn and end up bloody good. You're a fool if you write youth teamers off when they are still developing their game.

It's bloody brilliant how Antoine has come on leaps and bounds  this season to be one of our most exciting young players for years. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KegCity said:

We’ll struggle to replace Massengo and Semenyo, think we can live without Scott and Pring.

Unfortunately it’s Massengo and Semenyo who are most likely to leave.

If this club has an wish to build a team they have to stay. Give them offers, not stupid, but will be worth staying for. And tell the bigger clubs to **** off there not for sale. They are still young , needing more development . Their time will come for the big offers and everybody wins then . But selling now is so short sighted and would make me really worry about how the club is being run.

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That’s why he’s already in contract talks. His agent Tony Finnegan doesn’t seem to be in a rush to move him on. 

I hope we can hang on to him for another year. He's got all the qualities to play in The Prem and would be the most difficult to replace (in my opinion)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Agreed.

That is what the Pearson era has become. A time when we bring youngsters through.

Firstly I would say that Semenyo has come on leaps and bounds under Pearson and the bloke deserves credit for that, yes one could argue ‘it’s maturity’ but that takes away credit to the current staff, who ‘have’ brought a lot more out of the boy. 

The same or similar needs to be said of Scot who will play for England. Also Our MoM today Atkinson, the bloke Cundy who most of us thought was a figment of our imagination, the two/three lads who played out of position at full/wing back today. Plus the lad that came on and made his debut for 15 today that made a spectacular tackle in his own penalty area etc etc etc! 

This forum is sometimes spectacularly myopic regarding our team and what is developing in front of their eyes, particularly when we lose. The trashy tweets, comments on Radio Brizz and other media can be mind numbing!

Either way, as you allude to succinctly, player development takes time. But it also takes ability from both the player and the staff and no matter what ever the ‘I’m not renewing my season ticket’ rattle throwers think, this City squad has more potential than I’ve seen since 73 which is a combination of a long term club policy and a guy/management team  that doesn’t throw money into the khazi!

What an excellent post.

• Like 12

Firstly , Massive credit to the lad himself who took the opportunity whilst injured to analyse his game and where he needed to improve

Also , No coincidence for me that he has two top pros (Though often derided on here ) in Chris Martin and Andi Weimann , alongside him

Both great pros , played at highest level and Internationals - two great mentors I’d suggest

Antoine himself mentioned how valuable the time was he spent talking with them whilst all were out injured

For all the criticism of signings like the two mentioned , the King’s etc  , even Simpson  - sometimes their value comes out in other ways 

• Like 13

Without revealing my source, I can say that Klose, King, Wells and Weimann are particular favourites of the younger players for their help advice and support, Martin apparently is great off the pitch but a bit of a moaner on it. James is the one that everyone thinks will be a Manager though. :)

I have to say that Martin has been excellent in the last couple of games, the work he has put in and the way he has been linking play is as good as I have seen since.....  well ever really.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dolman Block B said:

Thing is

Shame

FYI I don't think he's local but from London - I believe he was attending SGS Filton when he was recommended to City.

He signed a 4+1 deal a while ago (deal), and the four years are up at the end of next season, so we don't need to sell him yet, and shouldn't unless it's silly money (or comes with a year loan back). Given the length of his contract, signed after we turned down Chelsea's approach for him, I wonder whether his salary might be slightly higher than your upper estimate - or at least potentially higher with incentives based on appearances and/or goals - remember it was signed under Mark Ashton's 'watch', so could be anything.

I think another year of improvement with City would suit everyone: AS will then be attracting better suitors and have a higher earnings potential and we'll be further up the league than we would be otherwise and get a significant transfer fee.

Edited by Sleepy1968
  • Like 1

My main concern was, had recalling him from Newport mid loan spell stalled him?

Still can argue maybe it did stall him a bit, but fortunately we now are seeing his undoubted talent come to the fore.

7 goals and 10 assists despite several months out injured or a few anyway across 2 periods is some going for a young player. Took his goal nicely today, has strength, technique,  contributed nicely to the opener too.

Nothing better for me than seeing youngsters in a team.  The more the merrier and I’d happily be in league one if it meant watching a team full of kids playing good football with desire.  Hopefully Idehen is another one to add to a growing list.   Well done Nige for playing them.  I would love to see the next two games line up like this

O’Leary

Cundy. Klose. Atkinson 

Tanner.   Williams.  James    Idehen

Weimann 

Conway     Semenyo  

He'll be gone this summer I'm afraid.

You'd have to be pretty optimistic to think he will still be with us next season given that he is likely to be playing for a reasonably major team at the World Cup Finals. He may even see a move as integral to his national team standing.

You only have to look on Twitter at Ghanaian media and fans who rave about him each week and see him as the future of their side. I've also noticed recently Fenerbache fans are all on about signing him and this stuff normally gathers pace.