IGNORED

Antoine is His Name

Port Said Red

35 minutes ago, Olé said:

He'll be gone this summer I'm afraid.

You'd have to be pretty optimistic to think he will still be with us next season given that he is likely to be playing for a reasonably major team at the World Cup Finals. He may even see a move as integral to his national team standing.

You only have to look on Twitter at Ghanaian media and fans who rave about him each week and see him as the future of their side. I've also noticed recently Fenerbache fans are all on about signing him and this stuff normally gathers pace.

According to my son, Ghanaian social media reckons their own Prem Lg is better than Champ, and Antoine should be nowhere near the National side!  Farmers league they reckon!!!

14 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Firstly , Massive credit to the lad himself who took the opportunity whilst injured to analyse his game and where he needed to improve

Also , No coincidence for me that he has two top pros (Though often derided on here ) in Chris Martin and Andi Weimann , alongside him

Both great pros , played at highest level and Internationals - two great mentors I’d suggest

Antoine himself mentioned how valuable the time was he spent talking with them whilst all were out injured

For all the criticism of signings like the two mentioned , the King’s etc  , even Simpson  - sometimes their value comes out in other ways 

When I look back only a few years to the player who was recalled from Newport County, it is almost Bobby Reidesque transformation.

That player, was all over the place; couldn't read the game; and was completely bypassed. Culminating in his sending off against Derby for over eagerness.

I'm sure fans at Sunderland now, can't believe that the Semenyeo they had on loan is the one touted as one of the hot prospects in the division above them.

He's added pace, power; and at times composure (not always of course). He must be an absolute nightmare to play against. Looking at the Sheff Utd defenders, most of whom had been in the PL a few years earlier. They breathed a collective sigh of relief when he went off injured.

Unlike players like Eze, we're still talking about 6 months of play with him; and any potential purchase (like Scott) would be about potential. But Scouts can help by being impressed by what he demonstrates. Still a lot to learn, under contract for another 2 years at least. I think it would take a decent 8 figure bid for us to consider parting ways with him.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

According to my son, Ghanaian social media reckons their own Prem Lg is better than Champ, and Antoine should be nowhere near the National side!  Farmers league they reckon!!!

Strange that Jojo Wollacott starts for their national side then...

27 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

When I look back only a few years to the player who was recalled from Newport County, it is almost Bobby Reidesque transformation.

That player, was all over the place; couldn't read the game; and was completely bypassed. Culminating in his sending off against Derby for over eagerness.

I'm sure fans at Sunderland now, can't believe that the Semenyeo they had on loan is the one touted as one of the hot prospects in the division above them.

He's added pace, power; and at times composure (not always of course). He must be an absolute nightmare to play against. Looking at the Sheff Utd defenders, most of whom had been in the PL a few years earlier. They breathed a collective sigh of relief when he went off injured.

Unlike players like Eze, we're still talking about 6 months of play with him; and any potential purchase (like Scott) would be about potential. But Scouts can help by being impressed by what he demonstrates. Still a lot to learn, under contract for another 2 years at least. I think it would take a decent 8 figure bid for us to consider parting ways with him.

I think you have to bear in mind that at 18 with no academy background he was going to be very raw, and behind in certain aspects of his game. But certainly I remember that Derby game and AS was nowhere near the required level. In fact I've been a little unsure whether he had the tenacity and belief to make it over the last couple of years. He's clearly come on massively this season since seemingly having an epiphany - half way through a game (Millwall away?). If he can sort out his finishing (see Andi Weinmenn) and decision making a bit over the next season then he will be ripe for a big move.

51 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

If he can sort out his finishing (see Andi Weinmenn) and decision making a bit over the next season then he will be ripe for a big move.

It must be transformational to play alongside Weimann - he sets such a huge example on effort and application. Semenyo had a tendency to drift out of games or be less sure of his role, but he's relentless now and Weimann must help set that standard.

Towards the end yesterday Idehen skewed a ball down the right channel and even Chris Martin gave chase somewhat optimistically! Martin has been about our most consistent player in the second half of the season where I thought he looked wasteful earlier in the campaign - again I've no doubt that Weimann's efforts make it much easier for Martin to thrive. I know this is a thread on Antoine, but when you look at how all these other pieces are enhanced and improve, Weimann will probably be the most outstanding and deserving POTS in my lifetime.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

There was some stuff like that before but all the well followed people who I assume are media commentators talk him up. I thought I saw a reference (via translate) in one tweet today to Germany as the farmers league but I might be mistaken. They talk about him more so than our mate Nketiah despite his form at Arsenal (though obviously he is not yet declared, and knowing him will change his mind just before the World Cup!)

• Like 3

20 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Yes they would be the ones slagging him off when he was a teenager. 

I never ‘slagged him off’, but I have to admit that I couldn’t see what the fuss was about when LJ recalled him from Newport. 
I think one of his first contributions was to get himself sent off. I was seriously underwhelmed. 
However, I’m delighted to admit I was wrong and I’m also delighted with the player he’s become - and I agree there is more to come from him. 
Loving the humble pie - yum yum. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Yet frighteningly some of our fans still don’t rate him…

Our most exciting player for years. Great with his back to goal, possessing Houdini-like qualities to escape defenders. Terrific uper body strength, pace and a decent shot. Available for £50 million. ?

4 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

He's added pace, power; and at times composure (not always of course).

Im not sure about power and pace, he’s had that since the first time I saw him v Preston (a).  He was very raw though, still is to an extent.

Playing him centrally with scope to go / float left or right, knowing Martin will take care of being more rigidly positioned is a big boon for him. Means he can find space.

I saw little benefit of constraining him to one wing (as a wide forward) when you want him on the ball as much as possible. 

4 hours ago, TBW said:

Strange that Jojo Wollacott starts for their national side then...

I know, just saying social media can be a bit bonkers. 

56 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Im not sure about power and pace, he’s had that since the first time I saw him v Preston (a).  He was very raw though, still is to an extent.

Playing him centrally with scope to go / float left or right, knowing Martin will take care of being more rigidly positioned is a big boon for him. Means he can find space.

I saw little benefit of constraining him to one wing (as a wide forward) when you want him on the ball as much as possible. 

I know, just saying social media can be a bit bonkers. 

Fair point @Davefevs

Maybe I should have phrased it as purpose, and application to his pace; and power.

It's now directed in a way that is having positive results.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Fair point @Davefevs

Maybe I should have phrased it as purpose, and application to his pace; and power.

It's now directed in a way that is having positive results.

Yes, absolutely.  In some regards you want him to retain that raw element….same with Kodjia, that unpredictable nature is what makes them what they are.  Sometimes frustrating, admittedly.

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, absolutely.  In some regards you want him to retain that raw element….same with Kodjia, that unpredictable nature is what makes them what they are.  Sometimes frustrating, admittedly.

I thought his involvement in the opening two goals showcased his progress perfectly Dave

The control with his studs to kill an awkward ball at pace , then a fantastic  pass as he turned  , both in vision and execution allowing Chris Martin to deliver that great ball on the half turn for AW

Then , his goal , picks his moment to close down Stearman , like a stalking Leopard , tackles Stearman so cleanly and decisively , off on his run towards goal , a rollover , a step over and.....bang

Two showcases of real quality , in a series of actions 

However promising he’s looked that’s not Antoine of 12-18 months ago , to put together those pieces of skill in the same game , besides many other moments is encouraging to say the least 

Consistency is his next target

• Like 3