IGNORED

Match Report: City save their best for (almost) last

Olé

13 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Cheers Rob, always good to read your reports. I wonder what impact on Bell’s confidence/progression these mistakes will have. 

It’s harsh but I don’t think we will see him for a while. Earlier in the season he was ‘double subbed’ and has slowly managed a come back but I think that’s it now. He made at least 2 errors that would have been punished by a team with more confidence.

I wanted Bell to do well but he was just making me increasingly nervous. I hadn’t appreciated we had an extra sub due to Scott’s injury but to be honest it sadly was a relief when Bell was subbed off.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Cheers Rob, always good to read your reports. I wonder what impact on Bell’s confidence/progression these mistakes will have. 

He's a youngster who is a forward not a defender, it showed before and it showed yesterday.

Not his fault (other than the dreadful passes he made) and that's what he'll be told - forget it and now concentrate on your forward game. He'll put it behind him soon enough.

Playing Benarous as LWB is also asking a lot of him, especially when Pring is available (I assume he is). But he had a good game tbf.

Both will love being involved and would be desperate to play anywhere.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

I would imagine he will be buzzing to have got 54 minutes in a 3-1 away win, and will be being told to focus on the positives in his performance playing at RWB, whilst working on any flaws in training.

Imagine the team bus home, Wells and Conway with no minutes, versus Sam with 54, and some good contributions first half have down the right.

Most, if not all young players want to play in the first team (at any level of football) and will take whatever minutes they can get, in whatever position.  You just want to be part of it.

Think too much much is made of a “sub being subbed”.  Had he came on at h-t and been subbed off that’s a bit different.  But he came on first half (23 mins) for an injury.  Had he started and got 54 minutes nobody would’ve batted an eyelid.  It was a tactical sub.

When Pearson could’ve easily picked Vyner or a returning Tanner on the bench, he chose Bell yesterday, and several other games too.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Playing Benarous as LWB is also asking a lot of him, especially when Pring is available (I assume he is). But he had a good game tbf.

I hate to say this in respect of Bell, but there is no comparison. Benarous (like Scott) has a different level of composure and technical ability and therefore can look comfortable wherever he is played, even out of preferred position.

Bell strikes me as someone like Wes Burns before him, who simply has a standout natural attribute (pace) but confidence will quickly get eroded in the wrong position. Doesn't mean he can't have a good career, borne out of hard work. 

@RedMis spot on. I want all our young players to thrive but I'm a nervous wreck watching him play now, he's always got a mistake in him, opponents pick on him, and I was also relieved when he went off. Could have been 2-2 before long.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 1

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I would imagine he will be buzzing to have got 54 minutes in a 3-1 away win, and will be being told to focus on the positives in his performance playing at RWB, whilst working on any flaws in training.

Imagine the team bus home, Wells and Conway with no minutes, versus Sam with 54, and some good contributions first half have down the right.

Most, if not all young players want to play in the first team (at any level of football) and will take whatever minutes they can get, in whatever position.  You just want to be part of it.

Think too much much is made of a “sub being subbed”.  Had he came on at h-t and been subbed off that’s a bit different.  But he came on first half (23 mins) for an injury.  Had he started and got 54 minutes nobody would’ve batted an eyelid.  It was a tactical sub.

When Pearson could’ve easily picked Vyner or a returning Tanner on the bench, he chose Bell yesterday, and several other games too.

I’m not slamming him, but there is always a bit of a stigma that sticks when a sub is subbed due to errors. But I did say yesterday, and forgot to add it into my post, that he did indeed get 54 minutes and at his level of development that’s probably about all that would be expected of him anyway.

• Like 2

The kid is a good player. The fact he is tried out of position is a testament to the kids ability and what the staff is trying to do. Give them games. 

The lad is a professional and we all know who is father is, so I don’t buy any theory regarding his confidence being damaged as he has been around professional football all of his life and he’s doing the one thing he wants…play…albeit not in his preferred role yet. 

Edited by REDOXO
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Olé said:

I hate to say this in respect of Bell, but there is no comparison. Benarous (like Scott) has a different level of composure and technical ability and therefore can look comfortable wherever he is played, even out of preferred position.

Bell strikes me as someone like Wes Burns before him, who simply has a standout natural attribute (pace) but confidence will quickly get eroded in the wrong position. Doesn't mean he can't have a good career, borne out of hard work. 

@RedMis spot on. I want all our young players to thrive but I'm a nervous wreck watching him play now, he's always got a mistake in him, opponents pick on him, and I was also relieved when he went off. Could have been 2-2 before long.

Burns was the exact comparison I made a few weeks ago when people were slagging off Nige for playing him there.

Funnily enough Burns is now one of the best RWBs in Lg1, possibly gonna get Ipswich’s player of the year.  He might never have had the career he’s had if he’d insisted on playing as a forward.

I don’t like being critical of our youngsters (because they all develop differently and at different rates), but I don’t see the same level of ability in Bell as I do Conway for example…but as you say, he has pace.  Pace can get you a long way in the game.

Bell 311 mins, Conway 69 mins.  That flexibility ain’t doing him any harm imho.

• Like 2

I thought Benarous was very good yesterday. I thought Bell did some good things, but can struggle positionally, but that exact thing happened when Scott was WB with ( I think )Benarous in front of him. They got ran and found it difficult, which is understandable playing a new position with different responsibilities . Bell has a lot about him, whether it's enough I have my doubts. For me , technically and positionally Conway is the most exciting. It's a real shame he had the injury, and he's missed out on minutes due to others injuries. I hope he gets a run in the final 2 games. 
I want to see Bell in a more forward role, nearer to his "natural" position, before I criticise too much. Unfair to judge when he's only filled in positions. Wes Burns at least had a few games up front before he went wider, and he had more games altogether . 

• Like 1