IGNORED

Chris Martin

Mr Sno

11 minutes ago, Mr Sno said:

I know he isn't everyone's cup of tea but I don't think we should underestimate what a clever player he is and I think he is very important to the way we play. Weimann and Semenyo get the headlines but I question whether they would be as effective without Martin winning those flick ons and making runs to create space.

For me he is a forward that we have lacked since maybe Jon Stead (I see them as similar ish others may disagree). 

I enjoy watching Martin play and in my view we are a far better side with him in it than on the bench. I know he is getting older now so maybe not starting 46 games next season, but for me he has proven to be a good signing and an important player for us.

True professional not sure why people knock him to be honest.

• Like 5

Martin has been a very decent forward for several seasons and I’ll always remember Flint when asked who his toughest opponent was he replied without hesitation “Chris Martin”.

At the time Martin was at Derby……I was delighted when he joined City and even more delighted when he bagged 10:for the season so far. He may get a couple more yet……who knows?………:dunno:

3 minutes ago, Street red said:

True professional not sure why people knock him to be honest.

Who knocks him?……….:dunno:

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 2

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Martin has been a very decent forward for several seasons and I’ll always remember Flint when asked who his toughest opponent was he replied without hesitation “Chris Martin”.

At the time Martin was at Derby……I was delighted when he joined City and even more delighted when he bagged 10:for the season so far. He may get a couple more yet……who knows?………:dunno:

Quite a few 

There’s a particular one on every match day thread , who posts every time he makes what the poster perceives as any form of error or shortcoming

The same poster who used to focus his drivel at Andi Weimann until he shamed him and ridiculed his opinions with his performances

So he turned his attention on Chris Martin ...

If it wasn’t so embarrassing it would be hilarious

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

11 minutes ago, Robbored said:

A few of our fans have since his time with us.

We spent much of the season lumping long balls up to him. For me, that gets old pretty quick. Probably necessary for this season but it is something I’d like to see phased out as a staple of our play. Ideally, he’d be playing half as many minutes next season and if he is playing week in and week out again, I fear it won’t be a successful season. I would have preferred moving on after this season in a perfect world. 

I agree though that he is clever and played a big part in many of our wins. I back him to finish chances against anyone else at the club. I think when he does end up leaving, I’ll look back on him relatively fondly. 

1 hour ago, Sheltons Army said:

Technically a very good player, knows his own strengths and weaknesses

In some ways not too dissimilar to an excellent footballer back at the Gate today - Nicky Morgan, who also lacked a yard of pace but made up for it in his thinking , game awareness, and technical ability 

Why was Nicky Morgan back at the Gate? 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Really? Which interview was that? I recall a Flint interview with a national newspaper when he was asked ‘who was his hardest opponent’ he replied “Andy Carroll and Peter Crouch” ...

2 hours ago, Mr Sno said:

I know he isn't everyone's cup of tea but I don't think we should underestimate what a clever player he is and I think he is very important to the way we play. Weimann and Semenyo get the headlines but I question whether they would be as effective without Martin winning those flick ons and making runs to create space.

For me he is a forward that we have lacked since maybe Jon Stead (I see them as similar ish others may disagree). 

I enjoy watching Martin play and in my view we are a far better side with him in it than on the bench. I know he is getting older now so maybe not starting 46 games next season, but for me he has proven to be a good signing and an important player for us.

Thought he was v.good today.

Weimann 20g / 9a

Semenyo 7g / 10a

Martin 10g / 5a

Thats a pretty potent forward line.  I do think Semenyo’s return in December made a big difference, as we now have a really complimentary set of skills between them.

Ideally Martin would’ve got a bit more rest this season, but I thought that although the possession stats overall didn’t show it, we actually played some controlled football in their half, and that’s when you get Martin at his best.

Glad he’s got another year.  If he’s not doing his badges he ought to, although a recent interview suggests, like Alby, he’s keen to play as long as he can.

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

We spent much of the season lumping long balls up to him. For me, that gets old pretty quick. Probably necessary for this season but it is something I’d like to see phased out as a staple of our play. Ideally, he’d be playing half as many minutes next season and if he is playing week in and week out again, I fear it won’t be a successful season. I would have preferred moving on after this season in a perfect world. 

I agree though that he is clever and played a big part in many of our wins. I back him to finish chances against anyone else at the club. I think when he does end up leaving, I’ll look back on him relatively fondly. 

I agree, Pearson wants to turn us into a more possession-based side and if we can develop that Martin will come into his own.  The side of 17/18 post-Xmas would’ve suited him nicely.

42 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Really? Which interview was that? I recall a Flint interview with a national newspaper when he was asked ‘who was his hardest opponent’ he replied “Andy Carroll and Peter Crouch” ...

Yep, definitely said it.  RR is correct.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Quite a few 

There’s a particular one on every match day thread , who posts every time he makes what the poster perceives as any form of error or shortcoming

The same poster who used to focus his drivel at Andi Weimann until he shamed him and ridiculed his opinions with his performances

I don’t remember seeing any posts criticising Martin or AW for that matter - that’s why I asked the question.

5 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yeah, really……..:cool2:

It was at Senior Reds.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Quite a few 

Can we line up each under performing player as this poster appears to have a magic form inducing keyboard ?

9 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Technically a very good player, knows his own strengths and weaknesses

In some ways not too dissimilar to an excellent footballer back at the Gate today - Nicky Morgan, who also lacked a yard of pace but made up for it in his thinking , game awareness, and technical ability 

He is a very honest player when interviewed. He is down to earth and he knows  what he is good at. A great signing and let us hope he is with us season next season.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dynamite Red said:

Doesn't get the recognition he deserves.

Yes we could do with another player so we don't have to flog him to death but he has been instrumental in a front 3 that has nearly scored 40 goals this season which for a struggling team is decent.

You have hit the nail well and truly in a sweet spot.

I've seen seven relegations with City and in almost every case, the major cause has been a dearth of goals.

This year's problems have been at the other end of the pitch. Just five or six fewer goals conceded at crucial moments would have turned us into a top ten side and given a totally different view on this season.

Recently, with a stable back three, has shown an improvement plus some terrible misses by opponents have created hope for a better next season.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

When he plays well the whole team plays well. 

When he's not having a good day Weimann and Semenyo see a lot less of the ball and we are much less efficient. 

I think thats the main reasoning for the comments robbored is querying. He’s obviously not quick, and was brought in at a not particularly great time in the clubs recent history. And more importantly he was flogged to death last season in a very physical role, which led to people querying whether he was the right striker that we needed. With weimann back and firing, and semenyo in to share the physicality, hes kinda played to his strengths a lot more. Guy can obviously finish too, which helps!

• Like 1

As a 3 (2+!) they work well, Martin is an intelligent player with a decent touch, that having runners like Weimann & Semenyo helps massively. He knows and sees his runs early, he just doesn't have the pace to make the ground now, so Pearson flogging him to death in games has made no sense, and I think that has lead to some of the feeling against him. We have had options in games where he has looked like he's running through treacle, completely spent, but kept on. It does mean fans will get at him when it's not his fault necessarily . 
He does look a better player when the balls to him are a few feet lower than the punts he has got at times.
We need another striker to share the load IMO, other wise next year could be a step too far.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RUSSEL85 said:

His hold up play is also fantastic, bit like Adebola, won’t score a tonne of goals but really helps create them. 

I do rate Martin this season, but in his advancing years, he will always need another striker alongside him to provide pace.

That limits us in terms of formations, 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Yeah, really……..:cool2:

It was at Senior Reds.

May I ask what you think that weird little emoji means, because to me it says "smug self-opiniated dick", but maybe it's something else because you seem to use it in different ways. 

Either way it's extremely annoying.

• Haha 1
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Lordofthebling said:

I do rate Martin this season, but in his advancing years, he will always need another striker alongside him to provide pace.

That limits us in terms of formations, 

It's something that's worked for years in football, teams have used players like Sheringham or Crouch or Dublin as a focal point. Mixing and matching different talents into different formations is fundamental to coaching and Management. I don't see that as limiting at all.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

May I ask what you think that weird little emoji means, because to me it says "smug self-opiniated dick", but maybe it's something else because you seem to use it in different ways. 

Either way it's extremely annoying.

In this case it means ‘are you really questioning me?’………….:dunno:

Just now, Roger Red Hat said:

I know who you mean, and it IS hilarious. The mount of times the particular poster has stated 'we need to get Martin off'...........and  then CM scores must be very game CM has scored, at a minimum!

And Mr Flappy has been very quiet of late. Can`t think why................................................

• Like 2