IGNORED

Alex Scott

kiwicolin

20 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

So you are right, he will not be going anywhere if no one is close to those figures. 

…and I don’t think anyone will pay that this summer.  They’ll test the water like with Semenyo in January.

Bet Southampton are kicking themselves though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think we will want more than £10m, nobody will offer what we want, and he will still be here next season.

I hope you are right, Dave. 
He’ll be worth (much) more than £10m in a year or two when we will eventually have to sell him because of the demand for him.

Edited by firstdivision
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TomThumb84 said:

Under contract until 2025, swat away all the vultures and build a side round him.

2023-24 season he swaggers us into the Prem, gets a Euro 24 call-up in a World Champion England side and then signs a new deal with us before Liverpool at home on August 17 2024 for our first game back in the top flight.

Can anyone tell I am in a positive mindset? Any comments about delusion will not be absorbed.

You redsssssss!

About 10 pints worth of positive mindset TT! :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, firstdivision said:

I hope you are right, Dave. 
He’ll be worth (much) more than £10m in a year or two when we will eventually have to sell him because of the demand for him.

Apparently City value him around £25 million with add-ons plus a sell on clause? City know the kid is being watched by some of the premiership big boys
Pearson definitely doesn’t want to sell!

• Like 2

All this talk of us having the power to keep him because of his contract length.  For me, im not sure that means that much anymore. 

All it will take (if we reject offers and hold out for what we should ask for - resulting in him staying here) is his agent to turn his head with stories about the PL lifestyle and cash he can earn and we could end up having an unsettled player to manage. 

Unfortunately the power is with the Agent and the player. Modern football

• Like 4

5 hours ago, bs3 said:

Why do fans of this club can’t wait to sale our past young . Here a thought maybe just maybe we try to hold on to our best players and build a team which is capable of challenging for promotion.

We have always been a selling club and this is why a club of our size has never played in the Premier League.

They is only one time in our history we held on this our best players and that was in the early and mid 70s.

Its surely inevitable we will sell him isnt it? We have to sell someone to cover the cost of all the crap weve signed over the last few years, which left us with a near million pound a week loss from the last set of accounts.

Still think he’ll go personally, but we will keep him on loan for next season. Would love to keep him permanently, but ultimately think that NP will want the cash to fund signings in elsewhere.

Semenyo is the really interesting one to watch this summer imo. Given we had to fight off a bit of a barrage of bids on deadline day in Jan, will be interesting to see if clubs swarm in straight away in the summer or we have another bidding war on summer deadline day if he starts well 

• Like 1

People are saying about having to sell people if our FFP threshold is in danger, isn't that exactly the situation for us?

One, maybe even 2 of the bright young things may have to go, sadly.

Out of the 3, who do you keep if it's only 1 staying? Semenyo for me.

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SPAZZA said:

20-25 is far too much, people will want to see him consistently playing in his best position before spending that.

Unless you have FFP issues he won’t be going anywhere as no one will pay what you want this season.

I think it boils down to your last point - if Leeds and Spurs (also rumoured to be in for him) think he can cut it in the Prem then he’s worth more than £10m, even in the post covid market.

If Spurs or Leeds won’t pay that much, then he’ll stay for another year.

Knowing our luck he’ll do his ACL in August….?‍♂️

4 hours ago, SPAZZA said:

20-25 is far too much, people will want to see him consistently playing in his best position before spending that.

Unless you have FFP issues he won’t be going anywhere as no one will pay what you want this season.

I think it boils down to your last point - if Leeds and Spurs (also rumoured to be in for him) think he can cut it in the Prem then he’s worth more than £10m, even in the post covid market.

If Spurs or Leeds won’t pay that much, then he’ll stay for another year.

Knowing our luck he’ll do his ACL in August….?‍♂️

23 minutes ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Lloyd Kelly didn't play at all in his preferred position for us, iirc and will stand corrected but was played as left back and not centre back, where he is now. 

Appreciate your post think this will be ball park figure though Others have also said 18-22. It's not far off tbh. 

I am sorry that I don't have the memory to be able to say when, but Kelly definitely played as a centre back in at least two games the season before we sold him. One of those games he was so good, (I think it was against one of the ex prem clubs) I thought it was probably the display that got him his move.

5 hours ago, bs3 said:

Why do fans of this club can’t wait to sale our past young . Here a thought maybe just maybe we try to hold on to our best players and build a team which is capable of challenging for promotion.

We have always been a selling club and this is why a club of our size has never played in the Premier League.

They is only one time in our history we held on this our best players and that was in the early and mid 70s.

Unfortunately we might have to sell someone or we might get into FFP trouble next season- it's a relatively new concept to football and it's wholly new territory for us.

Don't get me wrong, rather we kept everyone we intend to keep- not just limited to the young players either, but it's not so simple.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Unfortunately we might have to sell someone or we might get into FFP trouble next season- it's a relatively new concept to football and it's wholly new territory for us.

Don't get me wrong, rather we kept everyone we intend to keep- not just limited to the young players either, but it's not so simple.

Perhaps we should ask Derby fans for advice - they have much more experience of dealing with ffp  than us.

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

I am sorry that I don't have the memory to be able to say when, but Kelly definitely played as a centre back in at least two games the season before we sold him. One of those games he was so good, (I think it was against one of the ex prem clubs) I thought it was probably the display that got him his move.

It was against Boro, where he marked Assombalonga and did it with aplomb.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Think that is entirely right. Would love to keep him...but if it’s a good price, maybe a good sell on and loan back, than in one swoop FFP goes away and NP has some space to trade. 

Must also go through any club like ours minds as well ‘one really bad tackle/injury...’

Clearly players we would rather move on to create than space, but we may end up with imperfect choices.

10 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Clearly players we would rather move on to create than space, but we may end up with imperfect choices.

…and I guess that’s why it might not be until next summer we really get to see a squad moulded but Nige.  Hopefully he can move on the right players this summer.

• Like 2

My worry is, if we can't make a big improvement , and I mean toying with playoff's, we will lose all the young talent.
It feels like a "sweet spot" moment with Semenyo, Scott and HNM. Will might be able to hold them for next year, but I can't see us keeping any of them past that without a massive improvement .
That IMO would be a real shame, not to see those 3 showing how good they can be. Yes we could sell all three for £50m, we could then rebuild. But I would be disappointed not to see our academy boys make a real impact for us. Bryan did, partly. Reid showed glimpses, Kelly looked classy, but left before he made a name with the fans here. That's what I would like to see, but feel it won't happen. 

If we have to sell, HNM would be the choice, a shame all the same. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Interesting to know values, but if Alex is worth 20m plus, how much do you value Harry Wilson?

I think if serious big money will come in for anyone it will be Semenyo 

From memory Harry Wilson will move to Fulham for £12m…Fulham had obligation to buy if they got promoted.

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yep. I think we can't lose more than £8mill next season otherwise points deduction. 

12 minutes ago, kiwicolin said:

Yep. I think we can't lose more than £8mill next season otherwise points deduction. 

Wow- that's potentially worse than my estimates if true! £8m is the magic number then- unless you mean FFP losses which of course are after Youth, Community etc.

If it's accounting losses we're worse off than I assumed.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Wow- that's potentially worse than my estimates if true! £8m is the magic number then- unless you mean FFP losses which of course are after Youth, Community etc.

If it's accounting losses we're worse off than I assumed.

My estimates based on revenue of £26m this season / £28m next season is that we can make a loss of £14.5m next season.  However based on attendances this season, I think my estimates of this season are conservative. But all guesswork.