IGNORED

The grass isn’t always greener.

Major Isewater

Our starlets may be tempted by the riches of Prem clubs but they should just remember that many players in the past have left the City on a high and then never had the same enjoyment out of their careers as if they had stayed. I 

I hope we can keep Semenyo, Scott and Massengo and they can fire us to the play offs and more perhaps . They will have great fun, improve their chances of choosing where they want to eventually play and become legends in Bristol. 
For every Kelly there are five who disappear along with their hopes of glory. Money is fine but it won’t bring you the pleasure of glory and togetherness that a promotion or cup win will.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

5 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Our starlets may be tempted by the riches of Prem clubs but they should just remember that many players in the past have left the City on a high and then never had the same enjoyment out of their careers as if they had stayed. I 

I hope we can keep Semenyo, Scott and Massengo and they can fire us to the play offs and more perhaps . They will have great fun, improve their chances of choosing where they want to eventually play and become legends in Bristol. 
For every Kelly there are five who disappear along with their hopes of glory. Money is fine but it won’t bring you the pleasure of glory and togetherness that a promotion or cup win will.

That’s bollocks.

Stay at comfy old Bristol city OR move to a club that will pay you 5x your current salary.

No brainer.

• Like 11
  • Confused 1
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

That’s bollocks.

Stay at comfy old Bristol city OR move to a club that will pay you 5x your current salary.

No brainer.

Depends how you look at things.

Massengo could have gone to much bigger clubs than us, probably much more money. He came here because he was promised games.
Yes you can go to Chelsea on big money, never play for the first team . You might get loans but if the rule changes come in that could be harder, end up playing U23 football or dropping down the League . Some players genuinely want to play and they know if they play well they will get your move & money. 

We just have to hope our young guys think that way.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Naive if that's really your view!
Whilst that might be true from a romantic point of view, any player confident in his own ability will say they CAN go on and make a name for themselves in a premiership club.
That's certainly what his agent will be telling him.

If you get the chance to go and earn silly money while young and still have the chance to step back down to the original level if you don't make it then you've got to be barking not to.

• Like 2

It’s completely understandable that players’ heads get turned when a premier league club comes calling, especially with the high wages. But I also think that players like Scott, Semenyo and Massengo benefit massively in terms of their development from the number of games they play, which might not be the case if/when they move. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

You old romantic major. 

Never going to happen. Every player wants to play at the highest level, and mostly, earn shed loads of cash. 

As much as I’d love them all to stay here, they’re not going to fulfil those ambitions at a club like ours. 

Let us be clear, I am not saying that these players should stay with us all their careers.

I am also completely aware that these lads are professionals, ie getting paid to do a job. 

My angle is that perhaps staying and playing regularly another season or two in our first team can benefit not only their long term prospects but also the club’s. 
They will command higher fees and wages if they have some honours and or experience at this level and also improve their choice and quality of club for the future. 
How many talented youngsters have left their ‘ home’ clubs too early and seen their careers ruined by years out on loan or languishing in the new club’s reserves?
They won’t look fondly back on the time they earned 40/50,000£ a week but if they get a promotion or a good cup run , that’s what they’ll talk about with their friends. That’s what will warm their hearts in their old age. 

8 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Do you think any of our players have actually enjoyed this season?

Yes. 

• Flames 1

9 hours ago, Henry said:

Tell Josh Brownhill that the grass isn’t greener.

Indeed. Brownhill and Webster have both gone on to become regulars in the Prem. Reid, Kelly and Bryan are all about to have another taste at the big time aswell..

This notion that players leave here and never get game time in the Premier league is absolute rubbish to be honest.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bris red said:

Indeed. Brownhill and Webster have both gone on to become regulars in the Prem. Reid, Kelly and Bryan are all about to have another taste at the big time aswell..

This notion that players leave here and never get game time in the Premier league is absolute rubbish to be honest.

Read my post before you reply. No one said that players leave here and ‘never get game time ‘. However youngsters leaving here too early rarely get first team action straight away , if at all, Rolando Aarons, Herbie Kane, Jacob Maddox to name three.

As for Reid and Bryan, I believe they struggled to get first team action for Fulham in the Championship this season and I wouldn’t be surprised to see both released in the summer. 

3 minutes ago, gary s said:

Imagine if you told your wife and kids you had the chance to do the same job you do now but for a vast amount of more money but decided to turn it down 

Imagine if you told your wife and kids that you’re enjoying your job and if you stay another year you will more than likely have the chance of a bigger company on better terms. 
Imagine if your wife and kids are happy living where they are. 
Life isn’t all about money. 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Do you think any of our players have actually enjoyed this season?

Those that got regular starts did for sure. AW, his best goal scoring season, AS established himself as a starter, plus the lads that made their debuts.

Those that had injuries wouldn’t have enjoyed it tho. 

11 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Yes, but think of all that money and the things you can buy?

Just now, Major Isewater said:

Imagine if you told your wife and kids that you’re enjoying your job and if you stay another year you will more than likely have the chance of a bigger company on better terms. 

That applies to some players. Le Tissier springs to mind. Lampard stayed in London with West Ham and Chelsea no need to uproot the family. Gerard stayed at a Liverpool all his career. Any of them could have played for pretty much any club.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Those that got regular starts did for sure. AW, his best goal scoring season, AS established himself as a starter, plus the lads that made their debuts.

Those that had injuries wouldn’t have enjoyed it tho. 

I would argue that most of our players would have enjoyed playing for Luton more than us, I would also argue that most of them would have enjoyed playing for Wigan more than us.

Take the rose tinted glasses off and what this is basically saying is that any player playing for Cardiff/Preston/Hull/Birmingham should think about turning down a move to a lower prem side and continue playing for there existing club because the "grass isn't always greener" - the grass isn't particularly green here in realty.

13 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

And you think they'll get either of those things at Bristol City?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

“More likely”? How many players turn down big moves, and get bigger moves after?

If our kids had the opportunity to join Leicester, West Ham etc now, they aren’t going to get offered Arsenal, Liverpool etc the season after.

No, life isn’t all about money. But to have the opportunity to play in the Premier League may only come around once. To train alongside far better players, and have better coaches, facilitates etc. Most, if not all, Premier League clubs are set up better than us. I cannot see one reason not to move to be honest. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AshtonGreat said:

And you think they'll get either of those things at Bristol City?

Stranger things have happened.

In fact , no they haven’t. 

Joking aside we were 90 minutes away from the Prem under GJ. 
There is another thread running saying get the defence sorted and we could be contenders. It’s not false. 
If the lads are enjoying their football and bonding as a team they could very well have some success next season. We are on the up and if we can keep the best players here and happy then who knows ? 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

That applies to some players. Le Tissier springs to mind. Lampard stayed in London with West Ham and Chelsea no need to uproot the family. Gerard stayed at a Liverpool all his career. Any of them could have played for pretty much any club.

Lampard that stayed at Chelsea when they were on top most of the years he was with them, earning a massive wage. Who then went to the USA and Man City, who both would have paid him a fortune? 
Plus quoting premier league players v championship players is not really the same. 

Edited by RedorDead BCFC

46 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Lampard that stayed at Chelsea when they were on top most of the years he was with them, earning a massive wage. Who then went to the USA and Man City, who both would have paid him a fortune? 
Plus quoting premier league players v championship players is not really the same. 

It’s the principle confirming the Majors point - not all players chase the money. Some are content to stay where they are essentially for family reasons.

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It’s the principle confirming the Majors point - not all players chase the money. Some are content to stay where they are essentially for family reasons.

Can you give examples?

Most of those are at the end of their careers, or one club wonders.

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

I can’t think of any player that has left us for bigger things and would have regretted it.  There must be one or two I guess but then there are tons that are much better off playing at better clubs 

Marlon Pack?