IGNORED

Championship players out of contract

Mr Sno

I have put this here as I don't believe that signing someone on a free equates to a transfer - some very interesting potential signings on this list.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/championship/endendevertraege/wettbewerb/GB2/jahr/2022/land_id/0/ausrichtung/alle/spielerposition_id/alle/altersklasse/alle/plus/1#/

Anyone here who we think are realistic options?

Nyambe and Lenihan are two excellent free agents but also feel unrealistic. Brooks and Swift another two who would not be feasible.

Some players such as Byrne, Yiadom, Rinomhota could be.

Josh Laurent maybe? Was voted Reading's Player of the Year in what was a near playoff campaign. CM, 26 years old. Unsure he'd be on major wages as he joined on a free from Shrewsbury. Can also slot in at CB.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

11 hours ago, Nugget said:

Don’t think it’s fully up to date as some of these have re-signed etc but putting the championship manager hat on there’s a fairly good bunch available. Maybe a wheeling & dealing Summer on the cards ? 

Spot on.

Also mentioned this previously that Luton (as is their prerogative) are secretive about the contract situation of many of their players, they rarely announce the length of contracts or when players have renewed, meaning lists like this often include loads of their players who aren’t actually OoC.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Its been considered that 28 was the optimum age for a footballer for many years. I'd suggest with modern training methods and how players now look after themselves, that the age may have gotten older. 

It's been noted that yoga and Pilates helps with the longevity of a professional playing career. 

I guess due diligence would have to be taken when signing an 'older' player in how they are training and looking after themselves. 

Also the desire to play...rather than just plod for a pay cheque.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

image.png.17d5bc6222afcfbb232b04a8146cd8c6.png

I bet half of these aren’t OOC, or at least have one year options.

I think Cornick & Naismith are out of contract, from what I’ve heard on the grapevine, and them being 2 players I’ve previously taken interest in. 
I’d still take Cornick. Naismith not so much now. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

I'm intrigued by the OPs theory that signing someone on a free doesn't equate to a transfer.

Because they are not being transferred from one club to another, they are a free agent. I thought it was pretty obvious.

3 hours ago, spudski said:

Its been considered that 28 was the optimum age for a footballer for many years. I'd suggest with modern training methods and how players now look after themselves, that the age may have gotten older. 

It's been noted that yoga and Pilates helps with the longevity of a professional playing career. 

I guess due diligence would have to be taken when signing an 'older' player in how they are training and looking after themselves. 

Also the desire to play...rather than just plod for a pay cheque.

I had this convo with a mate the other day. Both agreed peak age now is around 30-31 due to modern day methods and fitness. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That’s a seriously long list. I’m actually quite surprised for some reason.

I see Marlon Pack is there. He still lives in P’head I think. I wonder if he’s Nige’s type of defensive midfielder?

There’s a reason why he’s out of contract at Cardiff

38 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That’s a seriously long list. I’m actually quite surprised for some reason.

I see Marlon Pack is there. He still lives in P’head I think. I wonder if he’s Nige’s type of defensive midfielder?

I think Marlon is heading to L1. His legs have gone.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Mr Sno said:

I have put this here as I don't believe that signing someone on a free equates to a transfer - some very interesting potential signings on this list.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/championship/endendevertraege/wettbewerb/GB2/jahr/2022/land_id/0/ausrichtung/alle/spielerposition_id/alle/altersklasse/alle/plus/1#/

Anyone here who we think are realistic options?

Ryan Nyambe...yes please.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mr Sno said:

I think at 24 there will be bigger suitors... I would happily take Yiadom, Rimomhata and Honeyman.

Honeyman has a year option ☹️.  Allegedly the player who covers the most km per match.  We will probably see that on Saturday.

Yiadom a bit of a blindspot for me.

Rinomhota definitely an option though.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Also at Blackburn, Lenihan and Rothwell haven't yet renewed but similar to Nyambe in that sense?

Yea both of these are no chance, lenihan linked to the prem and Rothwell apparently already going to Bournemouth.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Honeyman has a year option ☹️.  Allegedly the player who covers the most km per match.  We will probably see that on Saturday.

Yiadom a bit of a blindspot for me.

Rinomhota definitely an option though.

Yiadom is very physical and direct, proper athlete.....can't think of a full back we've had in his mould tbh. A pearson type for sure.

11 minutes ago, Mr Sno said:

Yiadom is very physical and direct, proper athlete.....can't think of a full back we've had in his mould tbh. A pearson type for sure.

30 though & been a regular all season (38 starts) at Reading.

Now they’re safe I can see them offering him another contract.