IGNORED

Championship players out of contract

Mr Sno

9 hours ago, redcherryberry said:

James Bree?

Pending Luton don’t go up, obviously. Championship experienced versatile right back & OOC in summer. Only 24 so plenty of room for improvement still. Has had a very good season & chipped in with a few assists.

I know he was on 30+k at Villa so must of took a massive pay cut upon signing for LTFC. Could do a lot worse IMO. 

I dont think he was on that much at Villa, they signed him on a fringe/backup playtime contract. Most resources I can see online estimate a figure of circa £8-12kpw at a Villa Park and £4-6kpw at Luton.

Entirely realistic that we could offer him £6-8kpw, and keep the change from O'Dowda's wage. Hell we could get him and Kane Wilson in if needed for Callum's wages almost (less signing-on fees).

On 24/04/2022 at 22:15, Mr Popodopolous said:

Of those a handful stand out as possible very good options for our financial position, did my own browsing also.

If I was shortlisting for recruitment (Ha, I wish!):

- Goalkeeper: Michael Cooper (22, Plymouth), Only if Bentley is sold.

- Right Fullbacks/Wingbacks: James Bree (24, Luton) Free, Kane Wilson (22, FGR) Free. Andy Yiadom (30, Reading) Free.

- Central Defenders; Eirin Cashin (20, Derby), Tom Holmes (22, Reading), Elliott Moore (25, Oxford) all free agents end of season, latter may have an option (?).

- Wingers; Femi Azeez (20, Reading) Free.

- Midfielders; Andy Rinomhota (25, Reading) Free.

The issue I have with some names mentioned - Wages. Byrne, Lawrence, Pack, are all on decent wedges, other clubs will be able to easily compete with us if said demands are lower, with said clubs have higher ceilings than we have (Parachute, Sponsorship, Turnover).

I also realise Nige isn't a fan of loans, but if we can get one or two in where we only pay a proportion percentage of wages and minimal fees  there are some superb options who can act as cover while we scout replacements (Massengo) and rotate with players who need time to develop, I.e. Charlie Patino, Alfie Devine, Tommy Doyle, whose wages match outgoings assuming contract situation remains unchanged and a buyer comes forward.

It would then mean we could offset fees received for the year to benefit our FFP outlook, provided we get rid of the deadwood and higher earners (Moore, Kalas, Baker, Wells, Palmer, King, Bakinson, O'Dowda) and give us breathing room to allowa stronger negotiating position (Scott, Semenyo).

This is all personal conjecture and means nothing, but just sharing for the sake of discussion. Feel free to debate.

Edited by Fuber
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Fuber said:

I dont think he was on that much at Villa, they signed him on a fringe/backup playtime contract. Most resources I can see online estimate a figure of circa £8-12kpw at a Villa Park and £4-6kpw at Luton.

Entirely realistic that we could offer him £6-8kpw, and keep the change from O'Dowda's wage. Hell we could get him and Kane Wilson in if needed for Callum's wages almost (less signing-on fees).

Of those a handful stand out as possible very good options for our financial position, did my own browsing also.

If I was shortlisting for recruitment (Ha, I wish!):

- Goalkeeper: Michael Cooper (22, Plymouth), Only if Bentley is sold.

- Right Fullbacks/Wingbacks: James Bree (24, Luton) Free, Kane Wilson (22, FGR) Free. Andy Yiadom (30, Reading) Free.

- Central Defenders; Eirin Cashin (20, Derby), Tom Holmes (22, Reading), Elliott Moore (25, Oxford) all free agents end of season, latter may have an option (?).

- Wingers; Femi Azeez (20, Reading) Free.

- Midfielders; Andy Rinomhota (25, Reading) Free.

The issue I have with some names mentioned - Wages. Byrne, Lawrence, Pack, are all on decent wedges, other clubs will be able to easily compete with us if said demands are lower, with said clubs have higher ceilings than we have (Parachute, Sponsorship, Turnover).

I also realise Nige isn't a fan of loans, but if we can get one or two in where we only pay a proportion percentage of wages and minimal fees  there are some superb options who can act as cover while we scout replacements (Massengo) and rotate with players who need time to develop, I.e. Charlie Patino, Alfie Devine, Tommy Doyle, whose wages match outgoings assuming contract situation remains unchanged and a buyer comes forward.

It would then mean we could offset fees received for the year to benefit our FFP outlook, provided we get rid of the deadwood and higher earners (Moore, Kalas, Baker, Wells, Palmer, King, Bakinson, O'Dowda) and give us breathing room to allowa stronger negotiating position (Scott, Semenyo).

This is all personal conjecture and means nothing, but just sharing for the sake of discussion. Feel free to debate.

Fair examples and I woild agree with all of these bar Femi Azeez. A good young player but I just don't see him getting into our side, perhaps a decent sub but he isn't someone who could perform Martins role.

He can do a job our wide cutting in but I don't see us playing with wingers while WSM are performing so well.

2 hours ago, Mr Sno said:

Fair examples and I woild agree with all of these bar Femi Azeez. A good young player but I just don't see him getting into our side, perhaps a decent sub but he isn't someone who could perform Martins role.

He can do a job our wide cutting in but I don't see us playing with wingers while WSM are performing so well.

He is a quick option who can play wide or central in the forward areas. 

Currently we don't really have anyone who can take on his man, Semenyo aside. Especially if the latter gets injured. Maybe Edwards but that's it, and the latter really needs consistent game time in League One.

2 hours ago, Fuber said:

He is a quick option who can play wide or central in the forward areas. 

Currently we don't really have anyone who can take on his man, Semenyo aside. Especially if the latter gets injured. Maybe Edwards but that's it, and the latter really needs consistent game time in League One.

True, I just can't see NP signing players for the bench - which is what FA would be an example of.

Yiadom reportedly set to sign a new deal at Reading.

Bit surprising given a) He might be relatively sought after on a free and b) The fact that Reading are mandated to cut player remuneration by £5.1m in 2022/23. They still have likely high earners such as Moore, Ejaria, Joao, Puscas which eats into the £16m...?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I've decided I'm doing a Robbo and only watching the OS this summer. 

If they don't announce it, it didn't happen :nono:

With one eye on Roy DeAlien of course, who seems to have disappeared lately. Abducted ? ?

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Bit surprising given a) He might be relatively sought after on a free and b) The fact that Reading are mandated to cut player remuneration by £5.1m in 2022/23. They still have likely high earners such as Moore, Ejaria, Joao, Puscas which eats into the £16m...?

Where did you see the Reading rumours Mr P?

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Where did you see the Reading rumours Mr P?

The72 Dave- dunno how reliable that is, assume you mean about Yiadom signing a new deal?

https://the72.co.uk/272748/reading-star-andy-yiadom-set-to-pen-new-contract/

Perhaps his wages at Reading aren't that big. :dunno:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

God, how many times did he "fall over" against us in the home game?

Left a bit of a bad impression on me, with his antics. I think he went down badly looking for a penalty as well at one point.

My usual disclaimer here is that IF we are projected to overspend next year as reports have suggested in recent months- then I think, with a combination of the new monitoring and the forward projections then this thread will be moot while there is still an upcoming breach- as in we will need to fill the hole before we sign anyone and then remain within limits thereafter balancing ins and outs. Or if we forecast X and the EFL are quite insistent on Y for Covid costs then there will be an impasse and again we won't be permitted to sign anyone while that is ongoing.

Just IMO of course.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

My usual disclaimer here is that IF we are projected to overspend next year as reports have suggested in recent months- then I think, with a combination of the new monitoring and the forward projections then this thread will be moot while there is still an upcoming breach- as in we will need to fill the hole before we sign anyone and then remain within limits thereafter balancing ins and outs. Or if we forecast X and the EFL are quite insistent on Y for Covid costs then there will be an impasse and again we won't be permitted to sign anyone while that is ongoing.

Just IMO of course.

If the general consensus is that massengo is leaving, and just for example we sell him for 5 million, how far does that go to correct our ffp position?

9 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

If the general consensus is that massengo is leaving, and just for example we sell him for 5 million, how far does that go to correct our ffp position?

Think it corrects it and leaves a limited amount for strengthening. I have a few different models, one would give us £3-4m breathing room, some it would get us about level depending on the model.

Ideally a nice big move or two- Webster and Kelly- and this concern would be moot.

It is interesting that Gould said our budget would be the same next season which can only mean one or any combination of three good things, pre any sales I am assuming. Unless the Massengo deal is already lined up and factored in.

1) Our savings this season were bigger than reported/expected.

2) Our revenue bounced back more quickly than expected.

3) The EFL have permitted greater Covid leeway than the reports in mid Feb.

Or- the bad thing.

4) We are going in with our claimed losses and are set for a problem set against the EFL voted on limits.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

God, how many times did he "fall over" against us in the home game?

Left a bit of a bad impression on me, with his antics. I think he went down badly looking for a penalty as well at one point.

Most of them did.

As for out of contract, factoring in realism and cost...

RB- One of Byrne, Smith, Yiadom- we could do worse.

Holmes is a CB at Reading out of contract, quite young and linked with Nottingham Forest earlier this season.

Plus at Reading quite like Laurent and Rinhamota in CM.

Bela at Birmingham is left sided, in and around peak years and until this year had a useful end product- was quite exciting at times. Barkhuizen at Preston had end product from the right and versatility, 28 not too old or young although injury a big question mark.

Players such as (to name a few) Nyambe, Lenihan, Swift, Rothwell, Wallace are suffice to say beyond us on and off the pitch at this time IMO.

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The72 Dave- dunno how reliable that is, assume you mean about Yiadom signing a new deal?

https://the72.co.uk/272748/reading-star-andy-yiadom-set-to-pen-new-contract/

Perhaps his wages at Reading aren't that big. :dunno:

Not sure how accurate it is but Silly Season site has these figures .

2040853192_Screenshot2022-05-10at19_17_08.png.ebdad84022150402e2283f0eb0d54c79.png

1 hour ago, Simon bristol said:

£5 million???

I hope you're right but, according to Pearson, we haven't had a bid of £1 for him yet, never mind 5 million times that amount.

For a player that played brilliantly at Preston and also.... er, well that might just be it.... I'd venture that £5 million is wildly optimistic.

But, like I say, I hope youre right.  

• Like 3

One more thought is that as far as inbound players are concerned, this can vary and is by no means a given but a combination of potential P&S breaches forecast or divergent numbers between us and the Football League and the new regulations permitting a Business Plan to make sure a club complies ahead of a breach, it could be the case that we literally have to clear the deficit before we are cleared to add/register anybody new. This can drag.

With some other clubs under the old regs it took until mid July to early August which would surely have a seriously detrimental effect.

Just one other factor to consider.

In layman's terms, you have to sell Massengo eg BEFORE signings are permitted.

17 minutes ago, maxjak said:

So great to see Pearson pursuing a youth policy, and the pursuit of upcoming bright young things like Curtis Davies?..................If the Bristol Beano is to be believed?  Ha!!

We already have 3 young centre backs in contention (Atkinson/Cundy/Idehen). 1 signed by Pearson, 2 given their chance by him. Something the previous regime wouldn't have done.

The only experienced one that is ours is Kalas, assuming he stays.

I'm sure you can grasp the need to have a mixture of youth and experience in central defence.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, chinapig said:

We already have 3 young centre backs in contention (Atkinson/Cundy/Idehen). 1 signed by Pearson, 2 given their chance by him. Something the previous regime wouldn't have done.

The only experienced one that is ours is Kalas, assuming he stays.

I'm sure you can grasp the need to have a mixture of youth and experience in central defence.

There's experience.............and then there's past experience, my faith in Pearson recruiting older heads evaporated after the signings of Simpson and King, although Klose is a possible exception?  ( yet we failed to tie him down to a reasonable contract?)   Perhaps i am being unfair?  But Time and again, we never seem to get contract lengths right.....as i think Klose will be off?  .................Though,  Hope i am wrong?     

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, maxjak said:

There's experience.............and then there's past experience, my faith in Pearson recruiting older heads evaporated after the signings of Simpson and King, although Klose is a possible exception?  ( yet we failed to tie him down to a reasonable contract?)   Perhaps i am being unfair?  But Time and again, we never seem to get contract lengths right.....as i think Klose will be off?  .................Though,  Hope i am wrong?     

Nobody knew if Klose would be fit enough and/or would fit in. So the arrangement suited both us and him.

What if we had given him a 2 or 3 year contract from the outset and it didn't work out for either party?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Nobody knew if Klose would be fit enough and/or would fit in. So the arrangement suited both us and him.

What if we had given him a 2 or 3 year contract from the outset and it didn't work out for either party?

I would have settled for 18 months?

13 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I would have settled for 18 months?

Maybe but as I say it would have been a risk for both parties. We could have been stuck with a player we didn't want or he might have been stuck at a club he didn't like.

Let's hope he signs now though.

14 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Maybe but as I say it would have been a risk for both parties. We could have been stuck with a player we didn't want or he might have been stuck at a club he didn't like.

Let's hope he signs now though.

And if he’d not worked out or got injured the same mitherers that moan and moan about Simpson , King and even James would be screaming and moaning why we gave him 18 months