IGNORED

Championship players out of contract

Mr Sno

I would also suggest Reading wise that Holmes and Laurent have their attributes.

Both under 30, Holmes a CB who got significant gametime when they nearly made the playoffs. 22-23 IIRC.

Laurent I know little about but believe he can play CDM but also chip in with a few goals. Midfielder.

Both had interest from Nottingham Forest in last 6-12 months.

The other thing to remember with Reading is that in addition to the £16m wages cap I mentioned, it's £21.1m this season meaning a fall of 20-25% will be required. Offers opportunities to other clubs.

28 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Think contracts can be offered subject to EFL approval, within parameters, Business Plan etc.

No more than £16m on Player Remuneration next season, squad not exceeding 25 Permitted Players IIRC. Plus the overall loss limit etc.

Yep, I was t inferring they couldn’t make signings / offer contracts, just that must meet conditions.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I would also suggest Reading wise that Holmes and Laurent have their attributes.

Both under 30, Holmes a CB who got significant gametime when they nearly made the playoffs. 22-23 IIRC.

Laurent I know little about but believe he can play CDM but also chip in with a few goals. Midfielder.

Both had interest from Nottingham Forest in last 6-12 months.

The other thing to remember with Reading is that in addition to the £16m wages cap I mentioned, it's £21.1m this season meaning a fall of 20-25% will be required. Offers opportunities to other clubs.

Laurent = no thrills but would be a good acquisition. Again there will be suitors.

There are plenty of Championship players out of contract this summer, but I do feel that our financial situation will prevent us competing for the ‘top tier’ free agents, such as Lawrence, Nyambe, Jed Wallace etc. 

We might have a shot at some of the lower tier ones at other struggling clubs, Laurent, Rinomota as examples there, but there are also a few which you’d think we could probably afford but maybe they wouldn’t drop to the opposite end of the league (Cornick an example there). 

I do wonder if it’s not worth spending the £10k-£15k pw on these lower tier agents, and instead focus all of our efforts on the best youngsters from leagues 1 and 2 (I’ve just posted my top L1 & L2 player list on the transfer forum under the EFL team of the year thread.) 
I’d much rather we put any available money in that direction. 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 7

Wasn't Vassell at Birmingham supposed to be a potential star? I think he had quite a bad injury didn't he?

I'd like to say a couple of the Derby players but we will surely be outbid.

I've always thought Swift at Reading is a good player too.

Edited by Ska Junkie

4 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Wasn't Vassell at Birmingham supposed to be a potential star? I think he had quite a bad injury didn't he?

I'd like to say a couple of the Derby players but we will surely be outbid.

I've always thought Swift at Reading is a good player too.

Vessell has fallen off a cliff and destined for League 1, Swift is well out of our price range and will go to a top tier champ or lower prem side.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Harry said:

There are plenty of Championship players out of contract this summer, but I do feel that our financial situation will prevent us competing for the ‘top tier’ free agents, such as Lawrence, Nyambe, Jed Wallace etc. 

We might have a shot at some of the lower tier ones at other struggling clubs, Laurent, Rinomota as examples there, but there are also a few which you’d think we could probably afford but maybe they wouldn’t drop to the opposite end of the league (Cornick an example there). 

I do wonder if it’s not worth spending the £10k-£15k pw on these lower tier agents, and instead focus all of our efforts on the best youngsters from leagues 1 and 2 (I’ve just posted my top L1 & L2 player list on the transfer forum under the EFL team of the year thread.) 

Lawrence and Wallace are well out of our league, both will go to top championship clubs probably those with parachute payments, Wallace turned down Besiktas over Christmas.

No issue with this, the swindon winger Mckirdy I would be in for, relatively local and offers us width.

Rimonata and Laurent are both no thrill signings but both young yet experienced and offer that level of physicality in the middle of the park that we lack, would be happy with eithrr or both.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Harry said:

Think we need a mix of the two myself.

If you take RB for instance, our only natural one is Tanner, who is 22 & has only started 12 games at this level, bringing in (say) Wilson of FGR then gives us two completely inexperienced kids competing for the same shirt.

However in central midfield, assuming that HNM & Bakinson both leave, we would still have James, Williams & probably King, so could much easier accommodate a L1/L2 youngster there to compete with Scott & Benarous.

The other thing at our level is the obvious wage disparity, so Luton, Millwall & Coventry players will be on much lower money than at the likes of Cardiff, Blackburn or Birmingham, so OoC players from the first of those clubs are going to be far more realistic.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Think we need a mix of the two myself.

If you take RB for instance, our only natural one is Tanner, who is 22 & has only started 12 games at this level, bringing in (say) Wilson of FGR then gives us two completely inexperienced kids competing for the same shirt.

However in central midfield, assuming that HNM & Bakinson both leave, we would still have James, Williams & probably King, so could much easier accommodate a L1/L2 youngster there to compete with Scott & Benarous.

The other thing at our level is the obvious wage disparity, so Luton, Millwall & Coventry players will be on much lower money than at the likes of Cardiff, Blackburn or Birmingham, so OoC players from the first of those clubs are going to be far more realistic.

Although Blackburn's wages seem to be on the slide, £25m wage bill in 2020/21 IIRC, that's including everything, bit do largely agree with your point.

Cardiff FFP wise by my estimates could be in a similar position to us going into 2022/23.

• Like 1

FWIW I wouldnt be against trying to sign Michael Morrison on a 1 ir 2 year deal. I was disappointed we weren't in for him when he left Birmingham and we have seen with the likes of Davies and Jagielka that CBs in their mid 30s and even older can do a job.

Either way Reading are going to he raided in the summer and certainly certainly number of their players will make us stronger.

2 hours ago, Mattredrobin said:

bowler at blackpool but imagine higher placed sides would be in for him.

Blackpool have a year option on his contract I believe. Either they do it to keep him for another year or do it to gain a profit on disposal. Or even with a view to extend him for longer, to buy a bit of time.

Nyambe and Lawrence I expect will be going to clubs, doesn't even just have to be financial, just better placed on the pitch I expect.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

James Bree?

Pending Luton don’t go up, obviously. Championship experienced versatile right back & OOC in summer. Only 24 so plenty of room for improvement still. Has had a very good season & chipped in with a few assists.

I know he was on 30+k at Villa so must of took a massive pay cut upon signing for LTFC. Could do a lot worse IMO. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, redcherryberry said:

James Bree?

Pending Luton don’t go up, obviously. Championship experienced versatile right back & OOC in summer. Only 24 so plenty of room for improvement still. Has had a very good season & chipped in with a few assists.

I know he was on 30+k at Villa so must of took a massive pay cut upon signing for LTFC. Could do a lot worse IMO. 

Not a bad shout- although as others said treat Luton contractual status with caution.

Did not realise but he's only 24 too!

On 25/04/2022 at 18:15, Mr Sno said:

I think at 24 there will be bigger suitors... I would happily take Yiadom, Rimomhata and Honeyman.

Worth noting Rinomhota is a decent box to box / ball winning midfielder. Really solid option on a free.