IGNORED

FOREVER BRISTOL CITY PODCAST - Has a corner been turned, are we heading in the right direction?

Curr Avon

https://foreverbristolcity.podbean.com/

A solid 3-1 victory at Pride Park against the Rams extended the unbeaten run to 4 games.

Ian, Mark & DaveP discuss the match action and debate whether we have turned a corner and are, at last, heading in the right direction.

We also discuss whether wage assisted loan outs of the "unfavoured" are one way to get the wage bill down.

39 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

https://foreverbristolcity.podbean.com/

A solid 3-1 victory at Pride Park against the Rams extended the unbeaten run to 4 games.

Ian, Mark & DaveP discuss the match action and debate whether we have turned a corner and are, at last, heading in the right direction.

Absolutely we have ‘turned the corner’ recent results show that - maybe the team getting booed after the Posh draw has had a positive impact on the squad………...:dunno:

Nige is nearing the end of his first full season and it’s taken him this long to implement what he wants from his players despite injuries to his experienced players. I don’t think he’s been able to pick his strongest 11 all season.

For me he’s done the job that I was expecting - mid table.

The silver lining is that he’s had to ‘blood’ youngsters and many of them have made the step up and that has to be a positive for all concerned.

I’m looking forward to next season already!

• Like 7
  • Robin 1

37 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Absolutely we have ‘turned the corner’ recent results show that - maybe the team getting booed after the Posh draw has had a positive impact on the squad………...:dunno:

Nige is nearing the end of his first full season and it’s taken him this long to implement what he wants from his players despite injuries to his experienced players. I don’t think he’s been able to pick his strongest 11 all season.

The silver lining is that he’s had to ‘blood’ youngsters and many of them have made the step up and that has to be a positive for all concerned.

Exactly! 

We are showing and have shown a lot of upside, without hanging  onto leads all season. Which has been tough for all of us. 

sometimes the poddy is decent others it’s been woe is me/everything with some of the regulars. I’ll give it a miss until next season now and perhaps The OP can get a few new/different non manic depressive perspectives to keep it fresh!

10 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Exactly! 

We are showing and have shown a lot of upside, without hanging  onto leads all season. Which has been tough for all of us. 

sometimes the poddy is decent others it’s been woe is me/everything with some of the regulars. I’ll give it a miss until next season now and perhaps The OP can get a few new/different non manic depressive perspectives to keep it fresh!

The podcasts that I’ve heard are largely negative in nature prompted largely by Ian Gay who can’t seem to see anything positive regarding City. Guys that I car share with turn off RB if he ever comes on - he’s sooo negative.

I’ll give this one a miss as Mr Dreary is on it.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Mr Sno said:

An interesting listen until Ian Gay mentioned extending the year on ODowdas deal. Absolute lunacy, another potential year on pre-covid wages on one of our biggest disappointments would be a terrible decision in my opinion.

Wasn’t the rumour he’d been offered a new deal on hugely reduced terms? Either way, I hope we shake hands and part ways in the summer. 

Just now, SBB said:

Wasn’t the rumour he’d been offered a new deal on hugely reduced terms? Either way, I hope we shake hands and part ways in the summer. 

Well he may have been but Ian was saying trigger the 1 year deal - that would mean he would be on pre covid wages, which he just isn't worth 

• Like 2

I don’t think we can say that a corner has been turned. But we’ve made some progress in an expected scrappy season. The biggest plus has seen a number of youngsters being given a chance and generally stepping up, at least in attitude if not talent as well.

I think it really is that we’ve reached the end of stage 1 of change. This summer and next season I see as further demolishion work to be done and building/reinforcing the foundations for a rebuild. I would then hope the season after we might be in a better position to confidently compete at the other end of the table.

What I do hope is that our building this time is more measured and realistic than under Mark Ashton. Less bullshit and ideas of grandeur, more Coventry, Luton, Millwall. I don’t mean in style of play, but more a sense of building a competitive team to a plan. Still ambitious, yes. But as I said realistic, doable, measured. I actually think NP realises this and there are signs that it might just work. But if we are expecting the narrative of the last 5 years, sleeping giant crap, etc, then forget it. It failed despite the flirtations with the top six, we didn’t possess the mentality to get over the line.

Interestingly enough though, season 2016-17 we ended on 54 points in 17th place. All in all a bloody awful season apart from Tammy’s goals and, to be fair, a decent end to the campaign including that win over promoted Brighton.

I’d hope we can trouble the top ten next year with greater consistency and a side taking shape, so that we only need to add a few pieces to a jigsaw the following season to then mount a challenge for top 6. Instead of ripping up a squad every 2 years and starting again.

Whether NP sees this through who knows, but I think as fans we’ve got to hold our nerve at the minute, cos I just get the feeling that NP might just be the person to at least start building a more gritty and competitive mentality as he builds a squad. It won’t be an easy ride, and I do think that someone else may finish the job. As fans we are going to have to be patient sadly, cos we can’t spend our way to success, hence a more measured approach like Coventry, Luton, etc.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Mr Sno said:

An interesting listen until Ian Gay mentioned extending the year on ODowdas deal. Absolute lunacy, another potential year on pre-covid wages on one of our biggest disappointments would be a terrible decision in my opinion.

Presumably he said this mistakenly believing we could then get a fee for him?

Absolutely bizarre suggestion, best all round if he moves on & we have at least some room for manoeuvre in the transfer market as a result.

1 hour ago, Mr Sno said:

Well he may have been but Ian was saying trigger the 1 year deal - that would mean he would be on pre covid wages, which he just isn't worth 

It shows a complete lack of understanding of the financial situation / market, or more likely his refusal to accept it and then give him an angle to blame Pearson for a bad signing!  

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It shows a complete lack of understanding of the financial situation / market, or more likely his refusal to accept it and then give him an angle to blame Pearson for a bad signing!  

He blames Nige for everything. Repeatedly referring to ‘facts’ without any context whatsoever…………...:facepalm:

9 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Absolutely bizarre suggestion, best all round if he moves on & we have at least some room for manoeuvre in the transfer market as a result.

But why would ODowda accept a deal?  Sit for 12 months and wait until he is a free agent where he will cost £0 which will benefit the available wage for him + a signing on fee, also not forgetting he will be able to pick and choose which club to go to. 

If you take up the option you are banking on 1) a club willing to pay when he is a free agent in a year 2) him accepting when he could just wait.....these kind of 1 year extensions are only really viable with players that have value and track record e.g Brereton, Carvalho.....for someone like ODowda it would be a silly decision. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mr Sno said:

But why would ODowda accept a deal?  Sit for 12 months and wait until he is a free agent where he will cost £0 which will benefit the available wage for him + a signing on fee, also not forgetting he will be able to pick and choose which club to go to. 

If you take up the option you are banking on 1) a club willing to pay when he is a free agent in a year 2) him accepting when he could just wait.....these kind of 1 year extensions are only really viable with players that have value and track record e.g Brereton, Carvalho.....for someone like ODowda it would be a silly decision. 

I have no idea.

I was trying to understand his logic, but I’m not sure there was any to begin with.

• Like 2

Does Ian Gay know what wages O Dowda would be on if the year extension was triggered. I suspect it would barely cover any fee we might get for him next January. We also would have a player hanging around the squad with no chance of playing for the next 6 months. Clueless thinking. Get rid and save on those wages.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

Fed up of hearing how we should break up our most successful forward line for years. All three of you seem hell bent on getting Martin out of the team. No one mentioned that a few weeks ago NP said it's obvious where we need to strengthen and that the spine of the team was the most important with a CB as top priority 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Fed up of hearing how we should break up our most successful forward line for years. All three of you seem hell bent on getting Martin out of the team. No one mentioned that a few weeks ago NP said it's obvious where we need to strengthen and that the spine of the team was the most important with a CB as top priority 

I’m glad that I haven’t listened to it. I’d feel as frustrated as those that have heard it. Not so long ago Ian Gay was slagging off AW, never included him in any of his line ups - look how wrong he was.

I do wonder if he’s just another bluffer who talks a good game but doesn’t understand the complexity of the beautiful game but thinks he does.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

For the record, I mentioned releasing O'Dowda as he isn't brave enough.

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

I think hell-bent is too strong. I've suggested that that playing without Martin could force us to play the ball on the ground, by pushing Weimann into the central striker' srole with Scott in behind. Its just an opinion and you're very welcome ask to join the Podcast and challenge it.

Edited by Curr Avon

6 hours ago, Robbored said:

We could well lose some of the players that are making us optimistic about our prospects next season, I will reserve judgement until I see who is still actually at the club come the start of next season, let's hope your and our optimism is not miss placed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

I think hell-bent is too strong. I've suggested that that playing without Martin could force us to play the ball on the ground, by pushing Weimann into the central striker' srole with Scott in behind. Its just an opinion and you're very welcome ask to join the Podcast and challenge it.

I am glad you said that. I think making it known more widely that the poddy is not a closed shop will help. Problem is you don’t know what head bangers you are going to get of course!

9 hours ago, SBB said:

Totally agree. 

I was thinking the other day... odowda has been with us for 6 years... say for arguments sake he'd been on an average of 10k per week (approx 0.5m per year).

Those 6 years have cost us circa £3m in wages, and a £1m transfer fee if I recall correctly. 

If there's one player that personifies our overpaying for players to sit in their comfort zone (by not developing), it is odowda. 

Get rid. LEARN FROM IT. Move on.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, GrahamC said:

This is the same bloke who says most weeks "it's all well and good fans saying sell palmer/ wells, but someone needs to want to buy them"

Ian needs to heed his own advice - surely the same applies to odowda? who's going to want to buy him for anything like decent money?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

The current front three have done pretty well this season as our goals scored shows - why fix it if it’s not broken?

Plus Martin adds extra height when defending in the same way that Famara did.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pillred said:

We could well lose some of the players that are making us optimistic about our prospects next season, I will reserve judgement until I see who is still actually at the club come the start of next season, let's hope your and our optimism is not miss placed.

I’m optimistic at the start of every season pillred. I have been for over 50 years………….…:disapointed2se:

• Like 1