IGNORED

FOREVER BRISTOL CITY PODCAST - Has a corner been turned, are we heading in the right direction?

Curr Avon

10 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Fed up of hearing how we should break up our most successful forward line for years. All three of you seem hell bent on getting Martin out of the team. No one mentioned that a few weeks ago NP said it's obvious where we need to strengthen and that the spine of the team was the most important with a CB as top priority 

That's not strictly true.

Naming a best 11 for the opening fixture of 22/23 Martin did not feature in any of our preferred line ups as it was purely a case of trying to shape a formation using our best players, assuming we get no one better than what we already have as we cannot afford them and that all our stars remain.

Bentley

Kalas / Klose  / Atkinson

New signing / Williams / Scott / James / Pring

Semenyo / Weimann

The above assumes the one ESSENTIAL new signing at RWB and accommodates Scott in a much stronger midfield [how many times in games have we been overrun in this area?]. Based on form that just leaves space for Weimann & Semenyo.

One comment on Martin in this thread concerning Martin's heading ability in defending corners - I might be blind but his headed clearances are not in the same league as Fam used to do when helping out.

I agree with all the posters on here re. COD and I will challenge Ian in our next episode that we can get some value out of COD by offering an extension to his contract in order to get a fee for him. Totally flawed argument and a further waste of money  - no one came in for him before he signed his latest deal and they are even less likely to now. A TOTAL disappointment over 6 seasons bar less than a handful of champagne moments. I don't see a single word of support for him on here which I must admit I find amusing when on those rare occasions he featured on the pitch I was slated for "having it in for him". Where are all of you COD lovers now?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

The current front three have done pretty well this season as our goals scored shows - why fix it if it’s not broken?

Plus Martin adds extra height when defending in the same way that Famara did.

If you listen to the Podcast, (and why not?) its based on the case for accommodating Alex Scott behind the strikers. Its all about opinions and you're very welcome to contribute to the debate.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

I think hell-bent is too strong. I've suggested that that playing without Martin could force us to play the ball on the ground, by pushing Weimann into the central striker' srole with Scott in behind. Its just an opinion and you're very welcome ask to join the Podcast and challenge it.

In all fairness the podcast has said multiple times that Martin is a good player who’s not being used in his best roll. I don’t think ‘getting rid of him’ has ever been mentioned… correct me if I’m wrong but it’s more about giving the poor bloke a rest from being the battering ram of the team every week. This wouldn’t be the worst idea surly? If we play Martin against tougher defences to hold up the ball a bit more and use our quicker players against slower/ less agile defences. I think Martin is a very good player and is mentally and technically astute but he would be better if he could have a rest every now and then. I think he was only rested one game this season and came back the next with a MOTM performance? I’d happily keep Martin until he decides to retire if he continues like he has this season I just think a rest every now and then would do him and the team good

Edited by london_Cider_red
  • Like 1

I get the need to generate debate but I wouldn’t be that optimistic we will be able to hold on to both Semenyo & Scott.

Secondly I’d be absolutely amazed if our line up for the opening game of next season includes just 1 new player.

Next, I like Kalas but it is highly likely that we will look to move him on.

Finally, Pring over Dasilva? Really? 
The latter has been our best player of late, the former isn’t someone I am convinced is in Pearson’s plans.

I reckon a maximum of 7 of that side starts our first league game of 22/23.

• Like 1

Out of interest, why the desire to play Alex Scott behind the strikers?  Most of his age group appearances (both City and England) are in the centre of midfield.  Is it because there is a thinking that “flair player must be a number 10”?

My view is that you want to get Alex Scott on the ball as much as possible and in when their third you want him facing forward.  Playing him as a number ten limits how much you get him on the ball, and he’ll spend a fair bit of of his ball receiving positions back to goal or on half-turn.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Out of interest, why the desire to play Alex Scott behind the strikers?  Most of his age group appearances (both City and England) are in the centre of midfield.  Is it because there is a thinking that “flair player must be a number 10”?

My view is that you want to get Alex Scott on the ball as much as possible and in when their third you want him facing forward.  Playing him as a number ten limits how much you get him on the ball, and he’ll spend a fair bit of of his ball receiving positions back to goal or on half-turn.

I agree with this 100%

I think his best game all season was the home game against Coventry when he played in the middle. Didn’t put a foot wrong all night, was the best player on the pitch by some distance! 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, super slick said:

I agree with this 100%

I think his best game all season was the home game against Coventry when he played in the middle. Didn’t put a foot wrong all night, was the best player on the pitch by some distance! 

Him and Han did well together in those couple of games they played together too.

2 hours ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Agreed largely, we've been lucky for the first time in ages, we've also had barring a crazy half, an inspirational number of excellent saves from Bents that have kept scores against down and some woeful finishing has also helped. We've also been clinical in front of goal, which has helped massively 

Yes, we have had wins and they're great, however some of the play such as vs 10 men or the mid section of the Derby game has been utter rubbish and wins or decent results against end of season teams in the main can flatter to decieve. 

I like what we're trying to do, and has been that way since Preston. It doesn't always click though and I'm not filled with the optimism that others are, though I am enjoying watching football again. 

There was nearly some positivity from you there. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, TomF said:

Is it possible to transfer fans as well as players at the end of the season?

Yes. Australia would be nice, or maybe the Bahamas. 

25 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

Josh Owers watch. 

27 minutes. 

Ian is always Joshing.

(see what I did there?)

2 hours ago, headhunter said:

That's not strictly true.

Naming a best 11 for the opening fixture of 22/23 Martin did not feature in any of our preferred line ups as it was purely a case of trying to shape a formation using our best players, assuming we get no one better than what we already have as we cannot afford them and that all our stars remain.

Bentley

Kalas / Klose  / Atkinson

New signing / Williams / Scott / James / Pring

Semenyo / Weimann

The above assumes the one ESSENTIAL new signing at RWB and accommodates Scott in a much stronger midfield [how many times in games have we been overrun in this area?]. Based on form that just leaves space for Weimann & Semenyo.

One comment on Martin in this thread concerning Martin's heading ability in defending corners - I might be blind but his headed clearances are not in the same league as Fam used to do when helping out.

I agree with all the posters on here re. COD and I will challenge Ian in our next episode that we can get some value out of COD by offering an extension to his contract in order to get a fee for him. Totally flawed argument and a further waste of money  - no one came in for him before he signed his latest deal and they are even less likely to now. A TOTAL disappointment over 6 seasons bar less than a handful of champagne moments. I don't see a single word of support for him on here which I must admit I find amusing when on those rare occasions he featured on the pitch I was slated for "having it in for him". Where are all of you COD lovers now?

As per your highlighted line. Playing the best players was the downfall of many an England manager, not least Sven. A cohesive team is better imo than just shoe horning your 'best' players into the eleven.

Not sure that I agree Scott would make the midfield stronger, thus eliminating it being overrun. Unfortunately him and Weimann ideally occupy roughly the same position (No.10). They are both useful in a starting 11 so Scott has to sacrifice his favoured position, as Weimann currently 'has the shirt.'

The question then becomes can Scott play in a midfield 2/3 behind the front 3. (imo a role that would suit him better than the no.10 touted on the podcast)

No doubt we will find out in July.

Edited by Sir Geoff
extra text
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

As per your highlighted line. Playing the best players was the downfall of many an England manager, not least Sven. A cohesive team is better imo than just shoe horning your 'best' players into the eleven.

Not sure that I agree Scott would make the midfield stronger, thus eliminating it being overrun. Unfortunately him and Weimann ideally occupy roughly the same position (No.10). They are both useful in a starting 11 so Scott has to sacrifice his favoured position, as Weimann currently 'has the shirt.'

The question then becomes can Scott play in a midfield 2/3 behind the front 3.

No doubt we will find out in July.

I agree 100% re England: Lampard or Gerrard, not both.

Using the same criteria of my selection, which excluded Martin, what would be your 11? Btw, as someone else commented on this thread, Martin needs a rest but I fully expect him to start our final two games

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

The current front three have done pretty well this season as our goals scored shows - why fix it if it’s not broken?

Plus Martin adds extra height when defending in the same way that Famara did.

One of my reservations is can Martin and Weimann reproduce the form for next season. They have both come back from injury and played  most minutes of most games. Will their bodies be up to it? 
It could get broken. 

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

It also bumps out Weimann from his favoured and most productive position. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Agreed largely, we've been lucky for the first time in ages, we've also had barring a crazy half, an inspirational number of excellent saves from Bents that have kept scores against down and some woeful finishing has also helped. We've also been clinical in front of goal, which has helped massively 

Yes, we have had wins and they're great, however some of the play such as vs 10 men or the mid section of the Derby game has been utter rubbish and wins or decent results against end of season teams in the main can flatter to decieve. 

I like what we're trying to do, and has been that way since Preston. It doesn't always click though and I'm not filled with the optimism that others are, though I am enjoying watching football again. 

Totally agree, our finances are not good, we won’t be able to compete for top players, and sales money will mostly go on debt reduction. Reality check needed, it will just be a case of hoping we can offload a few, then looking for a few low budget signings and letting the kids develop.

42 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Using the same criteria of my selection, which excluded Martin, what would be your 11? Btw, as someone else commented on this thread, Martin needs a rest but I fully expect him to start our final two games

Realistically;

Bentley

New RB, Kalas (Klose if TK sold), Atkinson, JD

New DM

Weimann, James, Scott, Semenyo

Martin

• Like 1

1 hour ago, headhunter said:

I don't have a preferred 11, but am more than happy with the front 3. If Wells leaves then we need someone in to replace him. I am more than happy to let NP make the decision of where Scott plays and the medical team to assess how many minutes Martin should play.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

I don't have a preferred 11, but am more than happy with the front 3. If Wells leaves then we need someone in to replace him. I am more than happy to let NP make the decision of where Scott plays and the medical team to assess how many minutes Martin should play.

My view is that it’s a squad game, and I try not to get drawn too much into “best eleven” type debates.

We have seen this season that Nige has never had a full compliment to pick from, whether that be Semenyo missing early season, Baker for a large chunk, Williams and James sporadically, etc. etc.  sometimes you do have to change for the opponent also.

What I do hope to see next season is more progress towards a playing system (not necessarily formation) and whatever recruitment we do, be aligned to it.

I think we have made progress, although not all of it is easy to spot.  Knowing which players you don’t want is equally as important as knowing the ones you do.  I think Nige has sorted this bit….getting them out of the club is the hard bit.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

If you listen to the Podcast, (and why not?) its based on the case for accommodating Alex Scott behind the strikers. Its all about opinions and you're very welcome to contribute to the debate.

I’ve e already explained why I won’t be listening.

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

One of my reservations is can Martin and Weimann reproduce the form for next season. They have both come back from injury and played  most minutes of most games. Will their bodies be up to it? 
It could get broken. 

That could be said for any pair of strikers. 

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think we have made progress, although not all of it is easy to spot.  Knowing which players you don’t want is equally as important as knowing the ones you do.  I think Nige has sorted this bit….getting them out of the club is the hard bit.

I hesitate to say this but...

What we need this summer to get rid of deadwood like Kasey Palmer (and one or two others) is a CEO who's a top notch snake oil salesman.

What we need is.... 

Mark A - no, I can't bring myself to say it.

• Haha 1