IGNORED

Streaming 3pm football without a VPN.

Bristol Rob

52 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Because for £25 per month i can watch every city game instead of games featuring teams I don’t care about 

What about other Sports? It's poor value i'm afraid.

Edited by Super
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Super said:

What about other Sports? It's poor value i'm afraid.

For you maybe.  £25 per month to watch an average of 6 games is very good value. Don’t know how you can say £4 per game is poor value.  It will never be less than that on a non committal basis. Alternatively it’s £125 for all 46 games.  Roughly £3 per game. 

I watch every game so that’s about 10 hours per month. I wouldn’t watch 10 hours of sky sports coverage per month in the football season.

I love cricket so when I don’t pay the £25 per month to city in the summer I give it to sky to watch cricket 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

I don’t think it would make a massive difference to attendances. Fans can already watch every game if they know how to download a VPN. I think a trial period would be fair. Your fears may not be realised 

I disagree. I'm pretty young, but don't know how a VPN works.

If we are on Sky I watch, if we aren't and I'm local (I'm London based) I go to the game.

On a Tuesday night in November, if I could sit at home watching I would to be honest. Even if I was nearby and would likely go to the game if I didn't have an option of watching on TV.

23 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

It’s not a tangent as part of the discussion was what the cost would be. I merely commented that it was £25 per month now which seems reasonable and fair 

We could go round in circles with this. It is a tangent as £25 per month is with a VPN and the discussion was about watching without a VPN, and hence the possible cost of watching without a VPN. As I’ve said, VPN is cheap because not many people use it. As soon as it becomes widespread and Sky, EFL, the Premier League etc start losing revenue things will change. 

16 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

What’s a VPN? 

A virtual private network (VPN) extends a private network across a public network and enables users to send and receive data across shared or public networks as if their computing devices were directly connected to the private network.[1] The benefits of a VPN include increases in functionality, security, and management of the private network. It provides access to resources that are inaccessible on the public network and is typically used for remote workers. Encryption is common, although not an inherent part of a VPN connection.[2]

A VPN is created by establishing a virtual point-to-point connection through the use of dedicated circuits or with tunnelling protocols over existing networks. A VPN available from the public Internet can provide some of the benefits of a wide area network (WAN). From a user perspective, the resources available within the private network can be accessed remotely.[3]

Virtual private network - Wikipedia

Edited by Curr Avon
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

I would still get my home season ticket, but having the option of being able to stream games would be welcome as I can't justify eating up half the weekend doing away games.

Agreed would still get a season ticket, but this would inevitably make me pick and choose more especially during the winter , be nice to have the choice and maybe trial it for a season to see what the impact was both additional income wise and attendance wise.

4 hours ago, cheese said:

Would it have an impact on non-league?  Often, if I can't get to a City game I'll take in a game below step 7 depending on who's playing nearby.  If I could watch City without a VPN instead I might be less inclined to do that.

I think that could be part of the bigger problem to be honest. The clubs further down the pyramid may be affected the most...

8 hours ago, pongo88 said:

The original post was about watching live without a VPN so this is a bit of a tangent. Anyway, watching via a VPN maybe OK at the moment because relatively few people do it. If it became the norm for the majority of supporters to do this something would change because clubs would lose out on match day attendance and gain very little from the live streams. The obvious solution would be to stop  live streams by countries outside of the UK and restrict coverage to companies such as Sky etc in the UK and Robbins TV and equivalents. 

The silly thing is they can literally stop you using the city APP with a VPN if they so choose.

Bbc Iplayer used to do this, then stopped for reasons i don't fully understand. But useful for me. 

Paddy Power, doesn't allow any vpn use. 

There are a number of sites, that while they can't tell where you trying to gain access from, they prohibit access via a VPN. 

If they wanted to, they could do it. 

With SKYGO, I have a  similar problem, (their system is a little different) but skybet no issue (I wonder why) 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The turtle said:

The silly thing is they can literally stop you using the city APP with a VPN if they so choose.

Bbc Iplayer used to do this, then stopped for reasons i don't fully understand. But useful for me. 

Paddy Power, doesn't allow any vpn use. 

There are a number of sites, that while they can't tell where you trying to gain access from, they prohibit access via a VPN. 

If they wanted to, they could do it. 

With SKYGO, I have a  similar problem, (their system is a little different) but skybet no issue (I wonder why) 

I don't think they've got any interest in stopping people using VPNs. They obviously know how many UK based fans watch, as they often advertise tickets for upcoming games during the broadcasts!!