IGNORED

Away Attendances

Davefevs

That can't be accurate, we don't average that many surely, I can only think of about 6 games that we would have taken that amount or more but more often than not we take less than a thousand which would bring the average right back down. Would be very surprised if that is right. 

• Like 1

Just now, cidercity1987 said:

Who don't have a top third fanbase....

This sounds a little gassy to me, Fulham are a bigger club than us these days and despite competition for fans from Chelsea, QPR, Brentford etc will get 25,000 in the Premier League and 20,000 in the Championship. If our fanbase was bigger we would fill Ashton Gate more often than we have been doing.

1 minute ago, CiderJar said:

This sounds a little gassy to me, Fulham are a bigger club than us these days and despite competition for fans from Chelsea, QPR, Brentford etc will get 25,000 in the Premier League and 20,000 in the Championship. If our fanbase was bigger we would fill Ashton Gate more often than we have been doing.

Nothing gassy at all about facts. Fulham haven't averaged more than 20k in the second tier since 1959, it is just a fact that they don't have larger fanbase than ours and that's why I would expect our away support to be higher than theirs, as our home support is.

I can hear buttons being frantically pressed on calculators across North Bristol to show that, ummm, as a percentage of the amount of fingers on each hand, when divided by the sum of sisters who are aunts, and multiplied by the co-efficient of championship ready sprinklers, da roverzzzzz are the bestest fans for away support in the entire universe. Or something.

Edited by GreedyHarry
Here, hear (not approval- I used the wrong one)
  • Like 1
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

Nothing gassy at all about facts. Fulham haven't averaged more than 20k in the second tier since 1959, it is just a fact that they don't have larger fanbase than ours and that's why I would expect our away support to be higher than theirs, as our home support is.

But you should also factor in relative success in the league. They have been top all season and we have been poor.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CiderJar said:

But you should also factor in relative success in the league. They have been top all season and we have been poor.

Indeed. It would be an interesting comparison to show what we were taking away in the 07/08 season when we obviously got to the play-off final and led the Championship for many weeks..

Every away game i seemed to go to that season we had sold out so I’d imagine we were averaging close to 2k every away game? Would be interesting if anyone has the data on that season’s away attendance's..

5 minutes ago, bris red said:

Indeed. It would be an interesting comparison to show what we were taking away in the 07/08 season when we obviously got to the play-off final and led the Championship for many weeks..

Every away game i seemed to go to that season we had sold out so I’d imagine we were averaging close to 2k every away game? Would be interesting if anyone has the data on that season’s away attendance's..

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/fanzone/away-days/away-days-200708/

The club have all away attendances from 01/02 to 17/18 available to look through (not really sure why they stopped to be honest!)

• Thanks 2

The other thing about us is that we don't have many close fixtures, at least nothing like some areas. If that table was on man-miles travelled (I know that's a very nerdy idea) then I'm sure we'd be much higher. All credit to those that travel regularly - very expensve and not at all easy. Well done chaps and chapesses - the team certainly appreciate your efforts!

• Like 2

I think our away following is decent, not great, but OK when you allow for a couple of things.

We usually come out around 4th in distance we have to travel over the year
We have been shite for 2 years or more.
You can add that Bristol train prices are ridiculous too. 

3 hours ago, Robin Goch said:

That’s from GW8 when we’d only played Boro, Cardiff, Reading and QPR away. 

Here’s a more recent one:

1ECB51FA-982B-4705-96AA-83F433A96003.jpeg

So we’re quite big, not massive? ?

As ever there’s a range of factors in place here. ‘Traditional’ size of fanbase, success in recent times, how well the season has gone and (particularly to my mind) geography. The latter 2 factors are the main reasons we are where we are, especially given our away form since early on has been mediocre. 

20 minutes ago, TomF said:

Likewise Swansea being so low. 

Yes I thought that about Swansea, think their support has dropped off a bit this season tho at home aswell and to be fair they do have to travel some miles, 160 miles to Birmingham and nearly 190 to London, should be in the Welsh league really ?

7 hours ago, steveybadger said:

So we’re quite big, not massive? ?

As ever there’s a range of factors in place here. ‘Traditional’ size of fanbase, success in recent times, how well the season has gone and (particularly to my mind) geography. The latter 2 factors are the main reasons we are where we are, especially given our away form since early on has been mediocre. 

Largish Nige’s largish army.

• Haha 3

Anything over a thousand average when we hadn’t won away for 6 months and haven’t been able to string 2 wins back to back all season is superb support from us. 
We have more miles to travel each season than half the teams in this division and smaller allocations for Cardiff and Swansea don’t help our figures.

I think there’s nothing wrong with our away support but why spoil the fun of all the people that clearly spend too much time hanging around with Sagheads.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, bris red said:

It was also our first season back in the Champ for some years. We were always going to take a few away each game, just a nice surprise of how well that season went!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sglosbcfc said:

Credit to Birmingham, I know they are right in the middle of the country, but considering how poor their team is that is decent away support.

Good numbers but as you say their location helps, furthest they travel is 170 miles to Boro, majority of their games are less than 100 miles, plenty far less.

• Like 1