IGNORED

What if…jack Hunt

DT The Optimist

I liked Hunt, but as others have said it was the right time to release him IF we had replaced him properly.

As it stands it has to go down as a mistake for the season, but it will have done wonders for Scott's development. Will come out of the season a much more rounded player IMO (edit: because of his game time at RWB - having to develop different parts of his game)

Edited by redsince1994
Clarity
  • Confused 1

48 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Imho, Tommy Rowe was a fantastic free transfer signing in his first season, but whether little niggles etc caught up with him last year or not, I don’t think he was the same player we’d seen in season one.  You are right, he was rushed back from one injury far too soon, and that really was the end of the road for him.  With Pring and Dasilva doing decent jobs down our left side, I’m not sure Tommy would’ve got many minutes.  Probably much better to have kept Nurse???

Now this I agree with. Obviously in hindsight its easy to say but he's done great for Shrewsbury. I always thought he looked good when he played for us. Relatively young still.

Hunt and Rowe were best to be moved on when they were. We are still having a reset of the team and it had to start with them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pongo88 said:

As has been said, he was probably on a high salary, but he could have been offered reduced terms in the same way as Weimann. The person who hasn’t been mentioned in this discussion is Vyner. Pearson’s hints last season seemed to imply that he though that right back was Vyner’s best position, so he probably though Vyner was going to be a regular in that position. In that case he didn’t need Hunt as Tanner, or a similar player was going to be a backup 

I'm not a great Vyner fan, but he is 100% better than Bell in that position. 

As for Hunt, should never have let him go imo. Said it was a mistake at the time and we've struggled ever since.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Smtp. 

It's wages to turn over in L1 so they can spend as long as within 80%.

Transfer fees etc less important. 

It's basically how we did promotion last time out. 

I liked Hunt,  steady and what was needed. Appreciate why he went, suspect we'd have been stronger with him this season though. 

http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/scmp.php

it is 60% in Lg1 / 55% in Lg2

Also, profit on players sold is included.

image.thumb.png.70ac1d02ebce21030e7969cc91f2af54.png

• Thanks 1

It’s an interesting read. Hunt is obviously a Marmite player, the same as Pack. Imagine the forum after a defeat if they were both in the team. Conversely, imagine the forum if they were both in the team after a win. 

13 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

I likewise thought he was decent, believe played 38 games L1 for Owls. So on that stat you suspect he would have lasted the pace. 
One poster said we would have been promoted ?   But I suspect we may have been few places higher. Perhaps we will see him back here next season yet ! If owls make it..

Just looking at his games for us

18/19 35 appearances

19/20 37 appearances

20/21 43 appearances whilst getting older

The Jack Hunt of 20/21 was not the same player as 2018-2020 as he played too much imo

18 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Just looking at his games for us

18/19 35 appearances

19/20 37 appearances

20/21 43 appearances whilst getting older

The Jack Hunt of 20/21 was not the same player as 2018-2020 as he played too much imo

Agree, the loan of Sessegnon was surely planned to allow a bit rest and rotation…his hamstring scuppered that.

Credit to Hunt, Pearson called out how he played through injury.  I recall he got a very bad gash defending a cross, and played for a few weeks knowing that the wound would jeep opening back up.

I liked Hunt, he was a steady performer…although when we signed him, I thought he’d do better than he actually did.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/scmp.php

it is 60% in Lg1 / 55% in Lg2

Also, profit on players sold is included.

image.thumb.png.70ac1d02ebce21030e7969cc91f2af54.png

That's a problem for me- not your posting of it but the rule itself as it does not in any way account for yoyo clubs...to wipe the slate clean in a way when there is a 3 year rule is pretty illogical  on one level.

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Imho, Tommy Rowe was a fantastic free transfer signing in his first season, but whether little niggles etc caught up with him last year or not, I don’t think he was the same player we’d seen in season one.  You are right, he was rushed back from one injury far too soon, and that really was the end of the road for him.  With Pring and Dasilva doing decent jobs down our left side, I’m not sure Tommy would’ve got many minutes.  Probably much better to have kept Nurse???

Who has played almost every game for Shrewsbury this season. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I reckon Sam Bell will take whatever minutes he can get in any position he can…at this stage of his career.

But purely from a development perspective, it's not doing his confidence any good to be under-performing in the 'wrong' position

18 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

But purely from a development perspective, it's not doing his confidence any good to be under-performing in the 'wrong' position

Yeah, that’s completely possible.  He might be on speed-dial to HR as we type! ?

Alternatively, his confidence might be sky-high, because his manager believes in him, picks him over Vyner, etc, etc.  His development and understanding of the requirements for Championship level might’ve grown considerably through these 4 or 5 opportunities.

We don’t know.

I’m just playing Devil’s advocate really, I’m interested in people’s views on these type of thing, especially when we’ve no idea really, but paint a picture as being so black or white.  Invariably it’s anything but black and white and I just want others to consider both sides of it.  Doesn’t mean they have to though, but that’s all I’m doing.

In this example, I’ve used Wes Burns as a good example of the flipside.  Perhaps without those games as RWB under Cotts he might’ve ended up being a failed “striker” and not forged a good career as a top end Lg1 WB???.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, redsince1994 said:

I think it is important that any thread on Jack Hunt contains this clip ?

That was certainly the best of Hunt! My problem with him was his control and first touch were not championship standard and his positioning wasn't the best either,never doubted his effort. Shame we didn't get Pisano a few years younger,proper Italian defender!

• Like 1