IGNORED

Points Deduction - When will we know?

BCFCGav

Because of the extra dimension Semenyo can give us, but selling Scott- well such a star of the future. OTOH Scott's age and stage of development may mean we get him back say this and next season on loan.

They aren't are they- and so far no significant- Szmodics aside- sell on cash .Brownhill despite being linked with many seems not to be on the way out, and as for Webster or Kelly moving on- nothing at all for months! I wonder if this has formed a part of our projections?

Burnley to name some have sold Pope, Collins, McNeil and Cornet so far- Brownhill so far remains.

Brighton have sold Cucarella and Bissouma for big money and Webster under contract until 2026 so can't see that.

Bournemouth newly promoted, Newcastle not yet spending as much as expected- and Kelly probably their best defender yet good on the ball too, can't see that happening this summer can you!

Can we catch a break with one or more of these?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

"Might still get a deduction, should know more in next 6-9 months, degree of uncertainty and UEFA reform feeds into this" However he also mentions significant reforms along the lines of UEFA?

Basically under current FFP rules we are in trouble next season. The accounts for 21/22 season are going to be bad, and so when we do FFP reporting we are, unless we sell someone for big money this window, ******. Like proper ******.

But, the Club are hopeful that the EFL/FA/UEFA will issue rules/guidance that allow us to mitigate the losses of the last two seasons. In particular we are hoping the EFL allow the "lost potential transfer revenue" that we and Stoke have put forward. 

If either I) a big sale, or II) the potential losses allowed happens, then we will likely be ok.

As to press releases etc, well we're trying to be diplomatic with the authorities and coy with our competitors, which is why there might be some mixed messaging.

17 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

We should sell Scott or Semenyo, much as it pains me.

It's one solution, but we are waiting to see if further rules come out to assist us. If they don't then yes I'd expect a sale either this summer or in January.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Well let's hope a regular club starts bidding on what we need soon mr p! Not many will chance the dough we need quick

I have several different figures for the size of the overspend- hopefully it's towards the lower end as the lower the overspend, the lower the deduction.

Seen between 1-4 points suggested in varied bits online in recent months. Only the club and the Football League would know for sure of course.

Example anyway- Keane Lewis Potter went for £15-20m didn't he- he had a similar record to Semenyo last season when factoring in goals and assists.

In fact, when weighted and perhaps in absolute terms Semenyo's record is superior- although he is a year older.

KLP- 46 starts, 12 goals and 3 assists.

AS- 31 appearances, of these 24 starts- 8 goals and 12 assists.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

We should sell Scott or Semenyo, much as it pains me. We have the 4th highest xG in the league (understood it's a small sample size, but it's consistent with last season really), we can afford to lose one or the other. It'd be so nice to only have the league table to worry about, not the finances too! Plus a significant windfall would allow us to strengthen where we actually need to, defense. 

Dream scenario is we make the money from Han-Noah or Kalas or maybe Bentley, but those offers ain't coming. 

It depends, how many point will we be deducted V how many point having those two in our team will bring us. That's an equation that rarely gets mentioned.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

10 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

It depends, how many point will we be deducted V how many point having those two in our team will bring us. That's an equation that rarely gets mentioned.

I've been a staunch fighter in team 'we won't be relegated this season' and I still am. But with our defense starting the season so in line with last seasons showings (2.5 goals per game, nervous when we lead, 1 90+ goal already), I just have this horror scenario in my head of a points deduction in L1 and where that would put us. 

It won't come to that - I know it won't - but it's nagging me. 

14 minutes ago, Super said:

I'm guessing if we are deducted points we won't be the only club?

I'd have thought not but it sounds like there is nobody else being mentioned at the moment which makes me a little nervous in this respect.

Few I can think of in terms of candidates but one of them has tbh brought in £20-30m of transfer profit (Middlesbrough- Spence and Tavernier- fee minus net book value of zero=full fee as profit), Stoke seem to not even countenance that they could have breached and indeed are still complaining loudly every so often- some cynical and creative accounting there needs proper scrutiny. Reading must be candidates but if signings there are actively approved by the Football League then surely that keeps them the right side, Birmingham maybe their issues would arise in 2023/24, see also Cardiff- other category, any or all of Bournemouth, Fulham or Nottingham Forest would have been candidates but promoted?? Might also be interesting to see what happens with WBA IF they stay down, but again 2023/24 not now.

OTOH if Everton- PL- are permitted £170m in Covid costs and add-backs and Stoke £55-60m in the 3 seasons how on earth can we be punished severely in light of that? Makes no sense. Yes Everton are PL but the system- save for loss limits tied to equity and one or two other small bits- is still the same.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

As to press releases etc, well we're trying to be diplomatic with the authorities and coy with our competitors, which is why there might be some mixed messaging.

Exactly.

The wording from RG (on @3 Peaps In A PodCast) was deliberately opaque imho, and the headlines from Bristol Online deliberately “sensational”.

If you listen to the podcast, I think for the EFL to be 6-9 months away from knowing how they’ll handle it, leaves me less worried.  The financial data is known both from actual actual account (2021), yet to be published accounts (2022) and projected accounts (2023).  All of this in it’s various submissions to the EFL is in place / known.  I think RG is more commenting on the new unknown UEFA stuff, whilst trying to be coy re our commercial position.

Its a bit of a double edged sword.  It will attract suitors looking for a cheap deal for Scott, Semenyo, etc, but it will also show clubs we want to recruit from that we can’t afford much.

No disrespect to 3PIAP, but I don’t think RG is so open on a podcast if he has genuine financial concerns.

8 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

We should sell Scott or Semenyo, much as it pains me. We have the 4th highest xG in the league (understood it's a small sample size, but it's consistent with last season really), we can afford to lose one or the other. It'd be so nice to only have the league table to worry about, not the finances too! Plus a significant windfall would allow us to strengthen where we actually need to, defense. 

Dream scenario is we make the money from Han-Noah or Kalas or maybe Bentley, but those offers ain't coming. 

We don’t need £10m / £15m / £20m…it’s not a big hitter we need to sell, just a “bit” to keep us in line.  Selling Scott or Semenyo, is overkill for the financial situation.  We won’t turn down a bid that meets our selling point, but we don’t need to sell one to balance against FFP per se.

• Thanks 2