IGNORED

Warburtons Toast

Silvio Dante

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, that is a fairly typical scenario from what others in the game have said.

Paying a lump sum is not good for FFP, when the remaining length of a contract is multi year.

Which is why I always chuckle to myself when supporters moan and cry about managers getting the sack when they have 2 or 3 years left on a contract, very unlikely the club would leave themselves open to shelling out the full amount, likely it is reviewed every 6 or 12 months with no more than 12 months severance as full and final settlement, and that would be spread out.

And could explain why Holden was appointed.

22 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

There are , as ever , a multitude of contract options . I only have two scenarios that I have direct knowledge of . One was very much ( Prem) where the 3/4 year contract was paid in full . The other ( Champ) where it was a 12 month rolling contract and the payoff was 1 year . ( I Guess Holden was in that area ) 

As football manager is so unreliable , the majority will almost certainly have a protection as they know they will be sacked . Gardening leave is used sometimes , as it means club can spread payments , but also know that most will get offered another job , and will want to carry on so will get a release. 

Warburton is the one of the very few  times I can recall a manager just getting to the end of a contract . Roy at Palace another . 

Can you imagine how much Jose has made from being fired !!!! 

Watford would find it less expensive to fund revolutions.

18 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Looks like Tony Mowbray leaving Blackburn as well . OOC and said today he hasn’t been offered a new deal 

Managerial musical chairs.  Not beyond the realm of possibility that Mowbray could end up at QPR and Warburton at Blackburn.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BanburyRed said:

If he uses his loaf, he'll be back in work in no time.

There is that crumb of comfort.

Otherwise he’ll just be loafing around waiting for a job to come along.

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

Looks like Tony Mowbray leaving Blackburn as well . OOC and said today he hasn’t been offered a new deal 

Yes I was surprised. Just watched this. Wonder if club finances have anything to do with these decisions not to renew contracts - perhaps hoping for cheaper options. 

21 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Apologies, I meant proper achievements as in promotions - and moneyball examples, do they impress club owners?! How desperate ... 

Proving you bought a player, improved him on your watch, sold him at a profit for the club is a huge thing to put on your CV in the current game. Guarantee LJ will have a presentation on Josh Brownhill. Like it or not - that is the game.

1 minute ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Proving you bought a player, improved him on your watch, sold him at a profit for the club is a huge thing to put on your CV in the current game. Guarantee LJ will have a presentation on Josh Brownhill. Like it or not - that is the game.

Fair enough, yet LJ still has zero proper achievements on his CV - but you seem to think developing a player for a profit is suddenly a modern thing - plenty of City managers can say they bought a player, improved them and sold them on for a profit - funny how that is deemed a ‘big thing’ these days -  we signed Akinbiyi for £1.2m and sold him for £3.5m - whoopee doo ... I doubt any of our managers involved in his development and onward sale would have kept a ‘presentation on him’ ... and should Tony Pulis put together a presentation because he sold youth team graduate Jim Brennan to Forest for £1.5m under his watch?! Although Osman, Lennartsson, Jordan and Ward also had influence on his career as managers ... lots of presentations there!

20 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Fair enough, yet LJ still has zero proper achievements on his CV - but you seem to think developing a player for a profit is suddenly a modern thing 

1) Define a proper achievement and why. Surely silverware is a proper achievement….

2) Why should Johnson not claim credit for developing a  Player under his watch and increasing his value?