IGNORED

Alex Scott - Press Interview (Hull 28/4)

Davefevs

12 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Really good interview with NP today one of the best since he has been here IMO. I know he’s not everyone’s cup of tea and some fans want him gone. Not me I’m glad he is here and watching this interview only confirms it. Well worth a watch 

Made me laugh when he was asked about going to watch Oxford 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Really good interview with NP today one of the best since he has been here IMO. I know he’s not everyone’s cup of tea and some fans want him gone. Not me I’m glad he is here and watching this interview only confirms it. Well worth a watch 

His usual prickly self but lots of bare facts in there. He sugar coats nothing our Nige.

• Like 2

He gets irritated when journalists make assumptions - like watching Oxford and it was assumed that Nige was looking at Elliot when there were several other players that he and Fleming were considering if they could make the step up

I actually quite enjoy Nige getting niggly with the media. They need putting in their place from time to time.

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

He was very prickly right at the start but I always find him very interesting 

All about them building rapport.  Look at the responses he gave to James Piercy, very full and open.  If as a journo you say “streaky” and ask Nige to agree, I’m sure from a pure cantankerous point of view he will disagree.  Got to ask questions that let him talk, not give him chance to be annoyed.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, grifty said:

To be fair he's not going to say that he's looking to jump ship to the prem for all the extra money he'll get is he!

You can usually tell when a player has had their head turned. They usually say something along the lines of:

"I'm flattered by the interest and I want to play at the highest level but I am under contract to Bristol City at the moment and I am focused on doing my best for the team." Which translates as "I've told my agent to fix up a move."

If it's a Premier League player they say it's nothing to do with money, they want to play in the Champions League. Which translates as "I want to double my wages."?

• Like 2

On 28/04/2022 at 17:13, Gazred said:

Certainly sounds like he intends to be here at least another year.

Hopefully has a good summer with the U19s then can look to push on for an U21 call up next season.

I think with Ben Acey joining in the summer from Guernsey he will stay at least next season. (Although Ben is joining the U23s I expect him if reports on his ability are to be believed to be in and around the first team sooner rather than later)

2 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

I think with Ben Acey joining in the summer from Guernsey he will stay at least next season. (Although Ben is joining the U23s I expect him if reports on his ability are to be believed to be in and around the first team sooner rather than later)

It certainly helps.

I think we can assume he is settled here and enjoying his football.

I’m not sure Ben Acey joining makes a jot of difference. Scott likely knows him and may be friends, but he’s also likely to be friends with Conway, Bell etc and we’re not going to keep (say) Louis Britton just because Scott likes him.

I get the logic here - it’s a (possible) friend from where he’s from. But it’s bloody Guernsey. They speak the same language, have the same culture etc. it’s not like we’ve signed someone from Albania and need a compatriot to help with the language barrier!

FWIW I fully expect him to stay.

• Like 2

On 28/04/2022 at 18:09, grifty said:

To be fair he's not going to say that he's looking to jump ship to the prem for all the extra money he'll get is he!

It would be a different story if he was 25, however, I think he and his advisors are sensible enough to realise he'll probably earn more in the next 2-3 years by staying here for another year.

What would they be paying for? Is he a Prem. player? No.

Is he an established Championship player? No.

He's an inconsistent young player, who has forced himself into a relatively small squad that would have been relegated if it were not for points deductions, and an overperforming front line staying free of serious injury.

Oh yeah...and very huge bags of talent and potential that they would be prepared to gamble on.

However, if he carries on developing as he seems to have done over the years, by the latter stages of next season he will be hopefully be a name known for consistently ripping it up in the Championship.

Lots more clubs interested, lots more money for him and hopefully at least a minimum of another £10m for the club.

However, he should be destined to be signing huge contracts in the next 4-8 and hopefully more years. To do that he has to develop as a player. He knows that won't happen with the odd run out in the early stages of Cup Competitions.

Please note, I am not belittling his talent, skill or apparent maturity as a player. Yes, I expect young (actually most) players to be inconsistent, especially when played in unfamiliar positions. I just think it best for all parties concerned if we hang onto him a bit longer.

Same goes for Antoine.
Remember the start of the season when great performances were let down by his decision making and shooting? (Basically if he shot it was the wrong decision.)

Then there was that short but amazing Purple Period that provoked the interest, then a drop off followed by an impressive Hull performance.

Another season here and he could be the complete article. His best performances even better and his worst 80% of his best I'd happily take.

Han's situation is different. I don't see he wanting to stay if he's going to be on bench warming duty.

The End.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MJP3 said:

He's an inconsistent young player, who has forced himself into a relatively small squad that would have been relegated if it were not for points deductions, and an overperforming front line staying free of serious injury.

So we would have been relegated if we hadn't got so many points and had a huge injury crisis?  Would it not be better to just say that, on the overall balance of things, we are the 17th best side in the division? Staying up was hardly down to good fortune alone was it? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MJP3 said:

It would be a different story if he was 25, however, I think he and his advisors are sensible enough to realise he'll probably earn more in the next 2-3 years by staying here for another year.

I’d have to disagree with this. I was speaking to a work colleague last week whose friend is the uncle of the son of former City player Wayne Andrews.

This kid is 17 and just signed his first contract with Watford on £9,000 per week.

We are seeing Scott linked with Spurs, Everton and I think it was Leeds who are all bigger clubs than Watford and will therefore pay more to youth players.

On top of the signing on fee after a transfer of an optimistic for us £20m, they would pay Scott at least £20,000 per week. He’s probably not on a 5th of that here.

The reason Scott would stay here is for the game time. He has seen he will play almost every minute of every game and hopefully in a more central role next season if we get a couple of right backs in.

Long term, playing games will be far more beneficial to his career trajectory and ultimately his bank balance than 1 contract at Spurs where he’d earn more but then never play first team games and not develop to what he can and then end up as potentially a lower league journeyman.