IGNORED

Alex Scott - Press Interview (Hull 28/4)

Davefevs

6 hours ago, MJP3 said:

He's an inconsistent young player, who has forced himself into a relatively small squad that would have been relegated if it were not for points deductions, and an overperforming front line staying free of serious injury.

If it wasn't for the points deductions we'd be eight points, and four positions, clear of relegation:dunno:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

If it wasn't for the points deductions we'd be eight points, and four positions, clear of relegation:dunno:

Yeah a bit of sensible logic there - if we weren't so good we might have got relegated. Might as well have said if Peterborough had Fulham's squad they might have got promoted.

14 minutes ago, grifty said:

I’d have to disagree with this. I was speaking to a work colleague last week whose friend is the uncle of the son of former City player Wayne Andrews.

This kid is 17 and just signed his first contract with Watford on £9,000 per week.

We are seeing Scott linked with Spurs, Everton and I think it was Leeds who are all bigger clubs than Watford and will therefore pay more to youth players.

On top of the signing on fee after a transfer of an optimistic for us £20m, they would pay Scott at least £20,000 per week. He’s probably not on a 5th of that here.

The reason Scott would stay here is for the game time. He has seen he will play almost every minute of every game and hopefully in a more central role next season if we get a couple of right backs in.

Long term, playing games will be far more beneficial to his career trajectory and ultimately his bank balance than 1 contract at Spurs where he’d earn more but then never play first team games and not develop to what he can and then end up as potentially a lower league journeyman.

Then we have to give him a new contract on £10k pw which is commensurate with his contribution already and a release clause of say £20m. He stays here to develop more whilst getting a decent wedge and an opportunity to move when the time is right

1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

Then we have to give him a new contract on £10k pw which is commensurate with his contribution already and a release clause of say £20m. He stays here to develop more whilst getting a decent wedge and an opportunity to move when the time is right

To be honest, if that's what it takes to get him to stay then he hasn't got the right character to make it anyway. If he would rather play U23 football for 3 seasons just to make some money, then it would be a waste of talent.

From everything I have seen and heard of him, I don't think he lacks character at all. Yes by all means give him a good pay rise and some incentives built in, but we have to work within our financial constraints.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elhombrecito said:

Deaf ears mate.

Bloke in the pub last night (gashead) was saying we would have been relegated if not for the points deductions of Reading and Derby. Idiot ignored the fact that we'd have still finished above Barnsley, Peterborough, Reading, Birmingham, Cardiff, Hull, and possibly Derby as well depending on the last games. I pointed that out and his response was "maybe, but City were the worst team in the division".

I gave up at that point.

Yeah, most of the season was disappointing, but not as crap as some make out.

Looking forward to next season already and hopefully seeing Alex Scott develop more.

• Like 3
  • Robin 2

2 hours ago, grifty said:

I’d have to disagree with this. I was speaking to a work colleague last week whose friend is the uncle of the son of former City player Wayne Andrews.

This kid is 17 and just signed his first contract with Watford on £9,000 per week.

We are seeing Scott linked with Spurs, Everton and I think it was Leeds who are all bigger clubs than Watford and will therefore pay more to youth players.

On top of the signing on fee after a transfer of an optimistic for us £20m, they would pay Scott at least £20,000 per week. He’s probably not on a 5th of that here.

The reason Scott would stay here is for the game time. He has seen he will play almost every minute of every game and hopefully in a more central role next season if we get a couple of right backs in.

Long term, playing games will be far more beneficial to his career trajectory and ultimately his bank balance than 1 contract at Spurs where he’d earn more but then never play first team games and not develop to what he can and then end up as potentially a lower league journeyman.

Hi Grifty.

I've probably explained it badly, but have a re-read of my post if you have the strength. (I don't.)

You start with "I’d have to disagree with this." and your last sentence completely agrees with what I was saying, or at least trying to.

To clarify. 

I have no doubt his priority is his development as a player.

Even if it was financial as some suggest, I still see him better off staying.

You suggest he could get in the region of an extra £16k a week.

If money's the goal, why agree to that for four years when if you wait a year, you could get four years at an extra £26-35k a week.

(Figures supplied courtesy of my imagination.)

Edited by MJP3

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

Bloke in the pub last night (gashead) was saying we would have been relegated if not for the points deductions of Reading and Derby. Idiot ignored the fact that we'd have still finished above Barnsley, Peterborough, Reading, Birmingham, Cardiff, Hull, and possibly Derby as well depending on the last games. I pointed that out and his response was "maybe, but City were the worst team in the division".

You've got to love the logic of some of these clowns. 

Congratulations on Barnsley and Peterborough both managing to somehow finish bottom of the Championship and well behind the worst team in the division without even needing a points deduction. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

Would maybe if some came in with silly money a sell this summer with a year loan back to us suite everyone 

I don’t think it would suit Nige. Not from the loan perspective, but he’s trying to build a team, players to develop for our own gain.  Scott wouldn’t fit that plan, imho.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Depends if we can, a lot will depend on when it's possible, financially etc.

Reading could not pay Omar Richards what they considered him to be worth due to past overspending.

He went to Bayern on a free in summer 2021. Some compensation but not a huge amount.

They might also have offered Olise a better contract with a bigger buyout clause but for the same. Clause activated and he went to Crystal Palace for £8m.

Cautionary tale right there! Presumably we will have to work within some constraints...EFL can even step in with respect to contractual situations with existing players FFP wise. Think they even cancelled Jack Marriott's extension (a year option that was activated) at Derby as it exceeded allowable numbers individually or collectively.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

8 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

Congratulations on Barnsley and Peterborough both managing to somehow finish bottom of the Championship and well behind the worst team in the division without even needing a points deduction. 

9 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Deaf ears mate.

I gave up at that point.

Yeah, most of the season was disappointing, but not as crap as some make out.

Looking forward to next season already and hopefully seeing Alex Scott develop more.

11 hours ago, Pezo said:

Yeah a bit of sensible logic there - if we weren't so good we might have got relegated. Might as well have said if Peterborough had Fulham's squad they might have got promoted.

12 hours ago, richwwtk said:

So we would have been relegated if we hadn't got so many points and had a huge injury crisis?  Would it not be better to just say that, on the overall balance of things, we are the 17th best side in the division? Staying up was hardly down to good fortune alone was it? 

11 hours ago, elhombrecito said:

Hi guys.

You're all missing the point here.
I'm not saying a ball wouldn't be round if it were a different shape. (Although it really wouldn't.)
I haven't just plucked random variables to weave my desired narrative.
It's an opinion based on having watched City since the mid Sixties, and the experience of witnessing  relegation battles far too many times.

You're all treating Football as some simplistic  Mathematical equation. (You probably think I am too, but it will be clear later I'm not.)
If that were the case we could just play one match each season, let the statisticians sort out the promotion/relegation places, leaving our Saturdays delightfully free to do the important stuff like vacuum and shop with our partners.

Experience tells me that,
1. There is a huge difference between "Flirting" with relegation and being a real contender facing a serious battle.
2. To survive a real battle, the team usually needs the same qualities as their promotion periods.
i.e. A Mindset of determination, team spirit, work ethic and an attitude of never giving up until the final whistle. Skill is very useful of course, but not the priority.

I was in the Dolman late October against Forest.
Although winning on 90 mins, we lost in added time.
I don't know where you guys were, but the reaction around me was of resignation, disappointment and/or anger. Definitely not shock or surprise
We were as shocked as being served an over priced cold pie at a football ground.
Thankfully we had the end of the previous season to adjust to the new norm.

Even someone as perfect and wise as myself, is occasionally as guilty as you hoi polloi in initially reflecting on a season as how the last few matches went.
We're now right at the end of a whole season and it might be argued as coincidence, but only since relegation became almost impossible have we,

1. Managed back to back home wins.
2. Beating someone by more than 1 goal.
3. Managed a few good/decent performances without having a really crap spell.

Please bear in mind that a few weeks ago, both teams would have been above us had it not been for the deductions. (Please remember previous caveats.)

So,
Do I think without points deductions Derby and Reading would be on the same points as now, plus the points deducted? Incredibly unlikely.

Do I think without their points deductions we'd have been in serious relegation battle? Very Yes.

Do I think we'd have as many points as we do now if the other teams hadn't had points deducted?Absolutely not.

Do I think a team that has spent a year(ish) totally lacking belief and drained of confidence, a team that couldn't stand the pressure of a match lasting more than 82 minutes, and panicked like teenagers, (apart from the actual teenagers of course) could win a real relegation battle? Another absolutely not.

Before I get more flak. whilst others on here had suggested they all should go, I've always considered we have good players. However, recently (a very long term recently) they had managed to hide it really well with a new found mental fragility.)

So if you really believe that football is Maths, we were fine and I just can't do sums, I'm happy to debate. However, remember with Freedom come Responsibility. Make the effort to read and think about your opinion first before insulting others.

Also if anyone would care to discuss the actual subject of the thread and my post, that would be cool too. For those that don't remember or didn't notice, it's about Alex Scott and his immediate future.

p.s. I lied about the Freedom/Responsibility bit. There's no law, I just wish there was.
p.p.s. The bits that don't make sense are Stella's fault.
p.p.ps. She's almost as disgusting as Andi's chip.
Anyway, she's disappeared. Better go to the shop and see if I can find her again.

@richwwtk I said "an" injury, which in English is singular, not "a huge injury crisis" as you quote me. As we all know, City never get long term injury problems. 
@Davefevs Help! they're all being nasty to me. Make it stop.
You're respected on here and few argue with you.
Please read my previous post and agree with me. (Cash available)

(OK, you've spotted the Clifton Snowflake that cries when people call him names.)

Bye, love you all. (or do I?) Got to go, need more alcohol. (or do I?)

Edited by MJP3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

@MJP3my thinking is that you deal with what is happening at the time.  Derby got 12 points on 22nd Sept, another 9 on 16th Nov and Reading got 6 points on 17th Nov.  As we entered the Nov international break (losing to Cov 3-2, terrible second half with Nige at home with Civid) we were 18th, 7 points clear of relegation.  By the time we returned to draw v Blackburn and win against Stoke, our position had strengthened due to the further deductions.

So, my view is, we never got into a relegation battle.  When the Jan window opened, we’d beaten Millwall 3-2 and had created an 8 point gap, walloped 6-2 by Fulham, but ended the window with a 3-2 win v Cardiff and a draw at PNE.  The window ended with us 12 points clear.  Had it got a bit squeaky bum, I honestly think we would’ve made a couple of signings to add to Klose’s masterful signing.

So, I doubt this was the response you wanted….but it’s how I saw it, a no panic season….safety secured, a bit shit at times, but executed with as little spend as possible.  And that last bit is important.

Sorry. ?

• Like 6

On 02/05/2022 at 12:09, View from the Dolman said:

Not just behind but twenty odd points behind too. Makes you wonder how we’ve got 55 points…….