IGNORED

New shirt

Mattredrobin

Does anyone know if any of this is in stock in the shop? Wouldn't mind trying it on for sizing. (Although from previous experience they are very good with returns)

Also what are the current opening hours? (The latter perhaps being one for @JerrySLO if he isn't on his hols)

Edited by PhilC
Ignore, I meant to put this in the lesuire wear thread

If (I know it's a big if) we are in next season's play offs or even finish in the auto promotion spots, will anyone care what kit we are wearing?

In the unlikely event we did gain promotion, would it cause the new kit to acquire legendary status, in the same way purple and lime did after the Liverpool cup win?

2 hours ago, Supersonic Robin said:

At the end of the day it is just a kit, but I see where Cowshed is coming from. Regardless of what other teams think, I'm not sure the new kit feels 'Bristol City' to many of our own fans.  (Yes, I appreciate we did have white sleeves for 1 season half a century ago).

Also, ignoring history and identity for a moment, it does simply look pretty crap aesthetically.

Was there a hue& cry when we changed to all red in the mid 60's, were they saying " that's Liverpool's kit" ? No, don't think anyone much cared. Conversely when Arsenal (at the same time) changed to an all red shirt, did people say " that's Bristol City's kit!" ? No, nobody cared, as long as it's predominantly red and white, let it go .

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Was there a hue & cry when we changed to all red in the mid 60's, were they saying " that's Liverpool's kit" ? No, don't think anyone much cared. Conversely when Arsenal (at the same time) changed to an all red shirt, did people say " that's Bristol City's kit!" ? No, nobody cared, as long as it's predominantly red and white, let it go .

I see what you did there ?

3 hours ago, Offside said:

According to David Woods’ book The Bristol Babe, City originally wore white at away games if there was a colour clash. In 1905 City adopted a change kit of  blue shirts/white shorts, which continued until the 1930s when white/black was also used.  The blue/white colours were used up until the 1950s when white/black became the norm until our yellow away kit in the 1980s. 

And then again at Orient away in the cup, early 80's . ?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I was at that game. The kit wasn't ours but borrowed because we failed to pack our away kit. After Alan Hay scored a screamer we fell apart and lost 4-1.

Yes, but that was the very last time we wore blue. BTW it wasn't Hay it was a guy we had from up north (full back) whose name escapes me, I think it was his debut .

11 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Yes, but that was the very last time we wore blue. BTW it wasn't Hay it was a guy we had from up north (full back) whose name escapes me, I think it was his debut .

You may be right about Hay. I'm pretty sure it was whoever was playing left back that day. 

We don't seem to have a good record in blue. We lost the FA Cup final playing in blue and there was blue in those awful shirts we wore against  Stoke at Wembley. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Offside said:

According to David Woods’ book The Bristol Babe, City originally wore white at away games if there was a colour clash. In 1905 City adopted a change kit of  blue shirts/white shorts, which continued until the 1930s when white/black was also used.  The blue/white colours were used up until the 1950s when white/black became the norm until our yellow away kit in the 1980s. 

In 1950's, clubs were not allowed to play against any other club in pre-season.

So most had a public allowed match between the Reds and the Whites. The white being the away change colours. However, in early 1950's, I clearly remember that City played Reds versus Blues. I didn't take any notice of the blue. It never dawned on me that it was that season's away kit.

City wore kits borrowed from Cardiff City in two games against Blackpool and Rovers kit against Rotherham, and two against Accrington Stanley, all FA Cup matches.

Nobody cared one little bit. It was just another colour as City had to change due to colour clashes.

By the way, the black and white photo on the club's website heralding next season's kit, was the game v Newport when the promotion had been confirmed; we had won the Third (South) title. The team was unchanged from 19 February until 27 April winning eleven and drawing three.

Same again next season?

• Like 4

• Admin
2 hours ago, PhilC said:

Does anyone know if any of this is in stock in the shop? Wouldn't mind trying it on for sizing. (Although from previous experience they are very good with returns)

Also what are the current opening hours? (The latter perhaps being one for @JerrySLO if he isn't on his hols)

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/city-unveil-202223-home-shirt/

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Double cuffed*, the players will be required to wear cufflinks, which you can buy from the club shop using your reward points.

Not sure about cufflinks but I used to have a lovely old City crest peckham years ago that I’d always proudly wear on visits to the smoke for work meetings. Proper back in the day mind but no idea if they still do that sort of stuff (who wears a tie any more!) 

11 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

In 1950's, clubs were not allowed to play against any other club in pre-season.

So most had a public allowed match between the Reds and the Whites. The white being the away change colours. However, in early 1950's, I clearly remember that City played Reds versus Blues. I didn't take any notice of the blue. It never dawned on me that it was that season's away kit.

City wore kits borrowed from Cardiff City in two games against Blackpool and Rovers kit against Rotherham, and two against Accrington Stanley, all FA Cup matches.

Nobody cared one little bit. It was just another colour as City had to change due to colour clashes.

By the way, the black and white photo on the club's website heralding next season's kit, was the game v Newport when the promotion had been confirmed; we had won the Third (South) title. The team was unchanged from 19 February until 27 April winning eleven and drawing three.

Same again next season?

This one?

screen-shot-2020-03-26-at-160223.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

And then again at Orient away in the cup, early 80's . ?

I’m sure we also wore blue away at Northampton in the late 80s when we had to borrow their kit. I think we won and Scott “poser” McGarvey scored one of our goals. 

Edited by Offside
Typo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I was at that game. The kit wasn't ours but borrowed because we failed to pack our away kit. After Alan Hay scored a screamer we fell apart and lost 4-1.

An easy mistake to make, they're weird ,they've changed their club colours from red to blue and back again a couple of times !

22 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Pointless!!! Could have someone’s eye out with those! ???

So, is this under the umbrella of Pula / Bristol Sport….or a cynic might suggest Jon’s new venture is taking money out of the club for his own company’s benefit.  Nice cushy number if so.  Be nice to get some transparency on this.  At least with the club sub-contracting certain elements to the likes of JMP, it’s a business-to-business relationship. To an outsider looking in, this looks all a bit too convenient!

Perhaps they are for aerodynamic downforce?

19 minutes ago, soultrader said:

Perhaps they are for aerodynamic downforce?

Or the collars are mini wings to help players fly through the air quicker and further. More goals especially diving headers that commenced from the half way line!

• Like 1