IGNORED

New shirt

Mattredrobin

19 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Don’t know what you mean.  It is OUR traditional kit when we fielded a team of great quality and we were promoted.

Too few of us seniors around who have lived thro a great deal of City’s history.  In my case, counting departed family members, we supported City before we became City.

What is genuine tradition for some is novel to others

I love this kit.  Memories of Milton charging down the wing and crossing to Atyeo provided some of my best moments supporting City as a child.

I think "tradition" and "identity" usually means "what they wore when I first started watching". That's why the purple and lime is special to me, reminds me of my first season watching City, and similarly I've always favoured white socks, because that's what I remember. If you watched us back in the 40s to 50s then hooped socks were regular.

Identity changes over time and with it people become nostalgic to a certain era.

Arsenal were around for 50 years before they started wearing white sleeves, and they had blue socks at one point

40 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I think "tradition" and "identity" usually means "what they wore when I first started watching". That's why the purple and lime is special to me, reminds me of my first season watching City, and similarly I've always favoured white socks, because that's what I remember. If you watched us back in the 40s to 50s then hooped socks were regular.

Identity changes over time and with it people become nostalgic to a certain era.

Arsenal were around for 50 years before they started wearing white sleeves, and they had blue socks at one point

Agreed, the nostalgia with the east end is understandable for those who stood/sat in it, but future generations in 50 years will feel the same about the South Stand when the club decides to knock it down and make it bigger 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

West Ham have messed with their traditions too with their new shirt (based on one they wore for two seasons 30 years ago), its not just us

west_ham_united_2022_2023_home_kit_e.jpeg

I prefer that to ours if I'm honest. The sleeve and the neck banding is a bit thick, maybe should be claret rather than blue, but I like the design overall. Its got some detail but overall looks classy.

Maybe a hybrid of the two shirts might have worked, eg that print on our sleeves in red and white with a better collar or more simple collarless design.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RedM said:

I prefer that to ours if I'm honest. The sleeve and the neck banding is a bit thick, maybe should be claret rather than blue, but I like the design overall. Its got some detail but overall looks classy.

Maybe a hybrid of the two shirts might have worked, eg that print on our sleeves in red and white with a better collar or more simple collarless design.

Not a bad shirt apart from the horrid round collar. I'm not a fan of round collars as dependant on the cut or materials used they can be very restrictive. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

West Ham have messed with their traditions too with their new shirt (based on one they wore for two seasons 30 years ago), its not just us

Always loved the colours, but that shirt looks a mess. 

On 09/06/2022 at 13:29, Ronnie Sinclair said:

I'm sorry, it might be a colourblind thing, but its bugging me - could someone explain the tradition they have messed with here? 

• Like 1

On 09/06/2022 at 13:37, Tinmans Love Child said:

Agreed, the nostalgia with the east end is understandable for those who stood/sat in it, but future generations in 50 years will feel the same about the South Stand when the club decides to knock it down and make it bigger 

Recently finished my dissertation on Lefebvre and Baudrillard through the conception of fan spaces, and I must disagree.

The East End elucidated socially emergent working class cultures. The South Stand was built with none of this in mind, and no longitudinal research to date notes that the same bonding processes will occur in the SS that were presend in the EE.

What is more likely is that there will be a swell of young people who are dissasitfised with the limitations provided by modern football, and will complain at length to afford themselves more room to express fanatical support for the club, while a group of elder fans will resist to preserve the status quo. Older fans who stood in the East End, and who benefited from the milleu of social conscience at the time, should realise that young people nowadays have lost the ability to have that same formative experience.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

Recently finished my dissertation on Lefebvre and Baudrillard through the conception of fan spaces, and I must disagree.

The East End elucidated socially emergent working class cultures. The South Stand was built with none of this in mind, and no longitudinal research to date notes that the same bonding processes will occur in the SS that were presend in the EE.

What is more likely is that there will be a swell of young people who are dissasitfised with the limitations provided by modern football, and will complain at length to afford themselves more room to express fanatical support for the club, while a group of elder fans will resist to preserve the status quo. Older fans who stood in the East End, and who benefited from the milleu of social conscience at the time, should realise that young people nowadays have lost the ability to have that same formative experience.

You seem to be suggesting that the East End was built in order to elucidate working class cultures, which of course it wasn’t, it was built cheaply to simply allow fans to see what was happening on the pitch.  The cultures and sub cultures then evolved from there, but that wasn’t the original intention.

Some of those cultures already exist within the fan base, and naturally will relocate to the South Stand, also evolving into other sub cultures not yet thought of.  In fact the new generation of more affluent fan will no doubt change the definition of a football fan in years to come.

• Like 1