IGNORED

New shirt

Mattredrobin

As soon as I saw it though old Arsenal top :laugh:, 

Seams a little crazy recreating a colour last seen on out tops over 60 years ago, I think very few would remember us in that colour, to most fans we have always been all red, in all our history we have had white sleeves for one season 54-55 it's just not really part of our history in a big way 

If they wanted to add a bit of white should have done pin stripes that's always been popular,

Edited by winsaw

10 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

The new design is of course a marmite strip.

My main issue however, is why have we gone with a retro home strip, and that a full on assault on the senses modern Goalkeeper strip?

The two together with just look bizarre in the extreme.

They have to come up with something different every now and again, the shirt will not be liked by everyone whatever it looked like though.
The Keepers kit ? Well, you could say the same about last years, slightly higher on the volume control perhaps, but if you like keepers kits, you probably like this, and because it's different it will sell. If you look on social media, there seems to be a Markey for it, other teams supporters buying it. 

If they had gone 1976 would there be such a "why Retro" ? I doubt it. Basically it looks like they felt it was time for a big change, but a big change that isn't completely out of the blue. 

I don't hate it, I don't love it, but then again I don't buy them. 

Now, the T shirt range well. For the first time in a while, I will be buying them.

People talking about different colours, have we not always played in red and white? Had plenty of all red shirts, also had plenty of shirts with white panelling etc. We've also had hoops and stripes on various shirts, did they also fail to align with our "identity"?

I think it's quite plain, I won't buy it, but some of the complaints knocking about don't make any sense.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, winsaw said:

As soon as I saw it though old Arsenal top :laugh:, 

Seams a little crazy recreating a colour last seen on out tops over 60 years ago, I think very few would remember us in that colour, to most fans we have always been all red, in all our history we have had white sleeves for one season 54-55 it's just not really part of our history in a big way 

If they wanted to add a bit of white should have done pin stripes that's always been popular,

I remember a lot of white on the shirt sleeves in 2013..

Now That was a hideous shirt. 

3 hours ago, Red Exile said:

Not a replica kit buyer myself - but clearly that is Arsenal's kit - or alternatively Rotherham. We play in red shirts.

However, if we stroll through a season of glory I won't care what the players are wearing.

Exactly, we could play in pants and string vests, for all I would care !

• Flames 1

26 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

My main issue however, is why have we gone with a retro home strip, and that a full on assault on the senses modern Goalkeeper strip?

I've wondered this too. Surely if you go retro you don't just do it for 10 of 11, you do the whole lot...

1 hour ago, Taz said:

So.....what was the away kit/colour in 1954/55? Just a hunch...

Before my time, but I doubt there was such a thing as an away shirt in 54/55.

The home kit would have been worn at all away matches unless there was a direct shirt clash which was probably only a few times per season.

There must have been an alternative to our red shirt for those occasions, but probably just some plain white ones kept in the boot of the team coach.

2 minutes ago, KegCity said:

People talking about different colours, have we not always played in red and white? Had plenty of all red shirts, also had plenty of shirts with white panelling etc. We've also had hoops and stripes on various shirts, did they also fail to align with our "identity"?

I think it's quite plain, I won't buy it, but some of the complaints knocking about don't make any sense.

We have only had white sleeves once in our history the 54-55 season,

We have had different white strips on the sleeves a far few times form the 90s onwards but the top was still predominantly red, 

Only other time we have had this much white was 2013-14 when the bottom half of the sleeves was all white, 

So only the 2nd time ever we have had no red on the sleeves at all I think that's why it's not really our identity

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Bring back Gibbo's faded green long sleeved "jumper" !

• Like 1

I think those of us of a certain age remember when teams didn’t change their kits every season.

Leeds we’re all white ,Liverpool all red ,even the away kits generally were the same (although that yellow Leeds kit in the 70’s was perhaps where it started to change).We had red shirts and white shots ,a bit dull ,but all kits were in those days ,it was solely a way of deferentiating between the two teams .

This years strip is an Arsenal strip ,I’ll manage ,but just not very Bristol City.

On a more positive note ,it could be argued that City are helping some Bristolians with the cost of living crisis,as I see many clad in Arsenal shirts as I go about my business in the City and they can now rock up to Ashton Gate without spending a penny and fit right in .

9 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Even worse than last year's. Loathe the pointless collar, while the goalie kit looks like George at Asda trying to do "rave".

Mind you, I'm not its target audience. I haven't bought a replica shirt since the Sanderson Computer Recruitment days.

If you like it, you like it, but it's not for me.  :disapointed2se:

I've seen this written a few times.

If you, a City fan, are not their target audience, who is?

Thousands of children get free shirts after all.

21 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

The home kit would have been worn at all away matches unless there was a direct shirt clash which was probably only a few times per season.

There must have been an alternative to our red shirt for those occasions, but probably just some plain white ones kept in the boot of the team coach.

Remember seeing an old photo of city in a cup game at villa park probably that season nogs... Atyeo et al all in white tops black shorts.. 

21 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I've seen this written a few times.

If you, a City fan, are not their target audience, who is?

Thousands of children get free shirts after all.

People who wear replica kits to the ground and around town.  I abandoned the former for superstitious reasons after I wore one throughout the season of John Ward/Benny Lennartsson and saw a relegation, and I've never been one for the latter.

In general, they look better on trim, athletically built people, which - regrettably - I no longer am. 

36 minutes ago, winsaw said:

We have had different white strips on the sleeves a far few times form the 90s onwards but the top was still predominantly red, 

Only other time we have had this much white was 2013-14 when the bottom half of the sleeves was all white, 

So only the 2nd time ever we have had no red on the sleeves at all I think that's why it's not really our identity

Each to their own. I just don't see the issue. I'm not sure we've got an identity with shirts apart from playing in red. We've had all sorts of various designs over the years. The closest thing to a renowned shirt identity is purple and lime.

I get that it's similar to Arsenal and Rotherham and that's a shame, I just think talk of identity etc is a bit OTT. It's a red shirt with a City badge on it. That ticks the two boxes for a home shirt as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I did wonder that myself, and couldn't find an answer through Google (albeit a very quick search).

Everyone saying it looks like a Rotherham/Arsenal/Walsall kit is confusing to me. Does that mean every Walsall kit looks like Rotherham? Which looks like Arsenal and Barnsley? It's red and white, with throwback sleeves from a successful team of old. You'd think it was quarterzz based on all the 'not Bristol City' comments!

Dunno if this came across, but I really like it. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

People who wear replica kits to the ground and around town.  I abandoned the former for superstitious reasons after I wore one throughout the season of John Ward/Benny Lennartsson and saw a relegation, and I've never been one for the latter.

In general, they look better on trim, athletically built people, which - regrettably - I no longer am. 

I think it's just a question of showing your support through wearing your colours and the replica shirt has replaced the omnipresent City scarf worn by everyone in my youth. I haven't bought one for a while because they have been samey and a bit boring rather than because of my increasing girth - at least this one is different.

I know City fans aged 60+ of all shapes and sizes who always buy the shirt and they all look OK in replica shirts to me.

We all used to wear silk scarves tied round our wrists and later in the 80's yellow pointy hats -  I even wore a City apron to a match once, never been bothered about looking ridiculous to others!

As for superstition putting you off replica shirts does that also apply to other City BCFC regalia or do you not show your colours at all when watching City?

Btw, target audience of maybe approaching 50k (?) on the club's database would include many fans like you who the club are aware would probably never buy one for themselves but if they like the look of them may treat a member of the family to one.

So you're still part of the target audience imo.

1 hour ago, winsaw said:

The new one is still predominantly Red isn't it?

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

27 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

My son is thirteen and he hates it!  Can’t stand collars…

Matter of taste.

Past shirt threads have shown a split between fans who prefer collars and those who don't so not sure the club can ever win on that one.

1 hour ago, The Coach said:

I am guessing the away kit will just be in reverse with white/red 

I don't think we've had that sort of thinking for a while and see no reason for this to happen. I would be massively surprised if the away kit was in any way like this. 

5 minutes ago, RedM said:

I don't think we've had that sort of thinking for a while and see no reason for this to happen. I would be massively surprised if the away kit was in any way like this. 

I hope not @RedM as it would be rather bland and lazy in my view. Let's hope for something exciting