IGNORED

New shirt

Mattredrobin

45 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I think it's just a question of showing your support through wearing your colours and the replica shirt has replaced the omnipresent City scarf worn by everyone in my youth. I haven't bought one for a while because they have been samey and a bit boring rather than because of my increasing girth - at least this one is different.

I know City fans aged 60+ of all shapes and sizes who always buy the shirt and they all look OK in replica shirts to me.

We all used to wear silk scarves tied round our wrists and later in the 80's yellow pointy hats -  I even wore a City apron to a match once, never been bothered about looking ridiculous to others!

As for superstition putting you off replica shirts does that also apply to other City BCFC regalia or do you not show your colours at all when watching City?

Btw, target audience of maybe approaching 50k (?) on the club's database would include many fans like you who the club are aware would probably never buy one for themselves but if they like the look of them may treat a member of the family to one.

So you're still part of the target audience imo.

Well all I can say is I'm never tempted!  :rofl2br:

(And yes, for many years now, I've not worn any colours to home games. When I relax the rule, we almost always get hammered. Irrational I know, but we all have our idiosyncrasies) 

1 hour ago, erndogz said:

Anyone know what the cuff looks like on a long sleeve shirt. 

A long sleeve version could swing a lot of people to be honest.  I'd love to see it, but don't expect one to be released.  What I did find strange was how they went with short sleeves only for the adult keeper and long sleeves only for Junior Reds,

2 hours ago, KegCity said:

Each to their own. I just don't see the issue. I'm not sure we've got an identity with shirts apart from playing in red. We've had all sorts of various designs over the years. The closest thing to a renowned shirt identity is purple and lime.

I get that it's similar to Arsenal and Rotherham and that's a shame, I just think talk of identity etc is a bit OTT. It's a red shirt with a City badge on it. That ticks the two boxes for a home shirt as far as I'm concerned.

Bristol City have an identity. If individuals were asked, say fans of other clubs what characterizes BCFC in regards to it kit its red shirt, white shorts .. The identity there changes when the shirt is red shirt white arms. Joe public any football fan will feel that identity is associated to other clubs, and in particular the big proper one in North London.

You stated each to their own. Identity is very important to many fans, we identify as football fans, the club kit, traditions and culture are part of identity.

This Arsenal identity identifies the small-time nature of BCFC. The club kit, traditions and culture are of no interest to the likes of those behind that design. The kit is for marketing gimmicks, make sure its red and that is it.

Edited by Cowshed
  • Like 4

There are examples like the Spurs shirt for next season where the designs don't really change much year on year, I don't mind us mixing it up every once in a while with a little extra white, would it have looked better if it was just a smaller white hoop on the end of the shirt, probably but doesn't bother me that much

29 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

think the home kit's ghastly. There's a reason we only had white sleeves once.

So you're saying we get promoted every time we have white sleeves :thumbsup:

23 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Well all I can say is I'm never tempted!  :rofl2br:

(And yes, for many years now, I've not worn any colours to home games. When I relax the rule, we almost always get hammered. Irrational I know, but we all have our idiosyncrasies) 

I hadn't worn colours for some time before, but wore a shirt to Wembley Vs Mansfield . Look how that turned out, salutary lesson.

5 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

I'm half-expecting blackout to be the away kit I think.  Not sure how that would sit with the sponsors.  If Huboo is in black they'll be barely visible, but if it still appears in white, then it'll look like we're just wearing Huboo tee-shirts!

Sounds like you talked yourself out of it come the end of the post. 

The sponsor logo will have to stand out, plus I have a feeling we may have something new. 

4 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Bristol City have an identity. If individuals were asked, say fans of other clubs what characterizes BCFC in regards to it kit its red shirt, white shorts .. The identity there changes when the shirt is red shirt white arms. Joe public any football fan will feel that identity is associated to other clubs, and in particular the big proper one in North London.

You stated each to their own. Identity is very important to many fans, we identify as football fans, the club kit, traditions and culture are part of identity.

This Arsenal identity identifies the small-time nature of BCFC. The club kit, traditions and culture are of no interest to the likes of those behind that design. The kit is for marketing gimmicks, make sure its red and that is it.

Ooooh identity identity. Our kit must give us an identity 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Without knocking City I think you're massively overestimating how much people think about our kit. I'd get it if it was a blue shirt but I doubt the football world is in shock at a team that plays in red and white are having a bit more white on their shirt than last year.

• Like 6

Just now, KegCity said:

Without knocking City I think you're massively overestimating how much people think about our kit. I'd get it if it was a blue shirt but I doubt the football world is in shock at a team that plays in red and white are having a bit more white on their shirt than last year.

You are underestimating identity. Its relevant to many. 

Having white arms is not a bit more. Its a change that has not occurred for decades.

I doubt the football world would be in shock about anything little Bristol City. I do think they would think a red shirt with white arms belongs in North London, and some would wonder why BCFC now look weirdly like Arsenal.

18 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

So you're saying we get promoted every time we have white sleeves :thumbsup:

I hadn't worn colours for some time before, but wore a shirt to Wembley Vs Mansfield . Look how that turned out, salutary lesson.

Sounds like you talked yourself out of it come the end of the post. 

The sponsor logo will have to stand out, plus I have a feeling we may have something new. 

No, I'm undecided...this is City, so I wouldn't rule anything in or out.  Bristol Sport has a massive partnership with Huboo now that anything is possible.  1 shirt out of a potential 9 or 10 across the group where the logo isn't as predominant could be quite feasible.

11 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

So you would put BCFC in blue quarters?

If you answer no you are placing a value on identity.

Well.....If it's only blue quarters then that makes it a fully blue shirt.......harking back to our FA Cup glory days... Blue and white quarters becomes a different issue! ?

1 hour ago, RedM said:

I don't think we've had that sort of thinking for a while and see no reason for this to happen. I would be massively surprised if the away kit was in any way like this. 

My thinking is a blackout kit like the leisurewear judging on the away warm up top, very colourful design with black back, the same as last season when we had a colourful away warm up top with black back. Might be just over thinking it. Definitely can’t see green shorts with that warm up shirt. 

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

It's a shirt.. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, erndogz said:

Anyone know what the cuff looks like on a long sleeve shirt. 

Double cuffed*, the players will be required to wear cufflinks, which you can buy from the club shop using your reward points.

Concerns about the cufflinks causing injury have yet to be addressed. 

*No idea, not sure there will be a long sleeve option.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Double cuffed*, the players will be required to wear cufflinks, which you can buy from the club shop using your reward points.

Concerns about the cufflinks causing injury have yet to be addressed. 

*No idea, not sure there will be a long sleeve option.

Where do I click on the cuff link, Rob?

(coat on)

2 hours ago, redpole said:

My thinking is a blackout kit like the leisurewear judging on the away warm up top, very colourful design with black back, the same as last season when we had a colourful away warm up top with black back. Might be just over thinking it. Definitely can’t see green shorts with that warm up shirt. 

I don't think it will be black again, something lighter if not brighter. It might be the total opposite of the retro type home shirt, something wild but I got a feeling its going to be more classic than wild. We've had a couple of more 'alternative' away shirts in design and colour and I think they now are aiming at a different type of fan, if you know what I mean.

That said, the keepers shirts don't fit at remit at all.

3 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Don’t know what you mean.  It is OUR traditional kit when we fielded a team of great quality and we were promoted.

Too few of us seniors around who have lived thro a great deal of City’s history.  In my case, counting departed family members, we supported City before we became City.

What is genuine tradition for some is novel to others

I love this kit.  Memories of Milton charging down the wing and crossing to Atyeo provided some of my best moments supporting City as a child.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

I look forward to seeing the new kits but I’m not too bothered either way about what they look like too much - it still says ‘Bristol City’ on the badge so that’ll do for me.

Having said that, I like the all red ones we have had in the past & seeing the ‘Arsenal’ etc comments on here - would people think slightly differently if the shorts were red on this occasion?

I can’t recall another team having that kind of combo before..?

6 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Before my time, but I doubt there was such a thing as an away shirt in 54/55.

The home kit would have been worn at all away matches unless there was a direct shirt clash which was probably only a few times per season.

There must have been an alternative to our red shirt for those occasions, but probably just some plain white ones kept in the boot of the team coach.

According to David Woods’ book The Bristol Babe, City originally wore white at away games if there was a colour clash. In 1905 City adopted a change kit of  blue shirts/white shorts, which continued until the 1930s when white/black was also used.  The blue/white colours were used up until the 1950s when white/black became the norm until our yellow away kit in the 1980s. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cowshed said:

4 hours ago, KegCity said:

At the end of the day it is just a kit, but I see where Cowshed is coming from. Regardless of what other teams think, I'm not sure the new kit feels 'Bristol City' to many of our own fans.  (Yes, I appreciate we did have white sleeves for 1 season half a century ago).

Also, ignoring history and identity for a moment, it does simply look pretty crap aesthetically.