IGNORED

Muppets

AppyDAZE

I have noticed this type of attitude more and more, particularly this season. 

I stand in the corner, on the edge of it, I wish there was another area of the ground I could stand, sing and watch the game as its getting weird in there. But I don't like sitting at football and the rest of Ashton Gate is very 'passive'. 

57 minutes ago, Harry said:

Still. 
it’s one thing running on the pitch for finishing 17th. It’s another thing altogether to be sick whilst your doing it 

And the guy posting it, thinking it's the best thing he'd seen all day in our 5-0 win, is a teacher...God help us all. ? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, billywedlock said:

And all they sang about was a shoe . I’ve never known our key vocal area to be so pathetic and lacking in any innovative or great songs . To have your own fans singing “ we’re Effing sh1y “ was another low . Sorry but our vocal support has become awful . They need to inspire the rest of the ground but have become embarrassing. We used to create some electric atmosphere . Give me the proper east end any day . We are miles off the best home support these days . I know that will upset the “ section whatever it is “ but get yourselves behind the goal and start creating some real support and songs . AG used to be fearsome now it is a damp squid .

The singing group needs a rethink and a good pre season . 

I know that will create abuse , but in my decades of watching City the home support has become a poor effort . 

Nobody else in the ground ever sang even when the East End was still up, certainly not for the last 5-10 years anyway. Not trying to pass the buck but shoving those that sing into a corner of the ground the opposite end of the stadium to the away end hinders the atmosphere massively. I agree with you that I'd rather be in the East End but those days are over. People have been getting their knickers in a knot over a shoe getting thrown about and a pitch invasion ffs, there would be strokes if some of the stuff that used to happen in the East End happened at a match this season. If you don't like the atmosphere do something about it, create a better one.

I'm not trying to be rude or overly defensive, just don't understand the complaints from people that aren't in that area of the ground. Nobody is stopping the Dolman or Lansdown singing, but everyone still sits on their hands and does nothing. Lansdown/Dolman bounce around is always met with a handful getting involved and everyone else turning their nose up. Not everyone wants to sing, thats fine, just can't also complain about those that do.

I agree about chants mind, I personally can't stand Scott or Semenyo's, but I've not got anything better so I don't moan about it. I'd like to see a corner of the Atyeo have home fans in it like we did for Derby a few seasons ago and other big games. I'd stand there over the South Stand in a heartbeat.

• Like 2

I thought the pitch invasion yesterday was naff. I’ve got no problem with them when it’s the unbridled joy of something like promotion (I’ve got great memories of those pitch invasions) or games like when we beat Man Utd, but yesterday, with people sliding on their knees and running around the pitch with their phones out taking selfies, was cringeworthy.

For what it’s worth, I enjoyed the shoe-throwing chants, that was good natured end of season merriment, and fair play to the Hull fans doing the conga in fancy dress when their team was getting thrashed. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Red Army 75 said:

So strange parents encouraging their kids to go on the pitch. Have to say throughout the season in English football there has been quite a few needless incidents of people going on the pitch. Ashton Gate Saturday I just didn’t get it and thought it was pointless.

Kids were on the pitch at Ashton Gate twice previously this season, not including Saturday. Assumption would be that at the very least parents/guardians didn't prevent, perhaps encouraged them who knows.

As for the wider point, don't condone it but different times. Excluding promotion, playoffs or staying up last home game, I remember at least two probably mainly kids on the pitch, Norwich in 1999 and definitely Preston in 2000. Unsure about subsequent dead rubbers but it has become progressively less acceptable over time. I remember those as they're my first 2 seasons.

One thing that has changed without a doubt is kids down the front shouting names of players during or after the game. For pictures, signed shirts or even an actual shirt. 

Autograph books at the end of games was about the limit of it in previous but relatively modern times. I certainly don't remember kids running on the pitch in relatively modern times to try and wangle a players shirt.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

So strange parents encouraging their kids to go on the pitch. Have to say throughout the season in English football there has been quite a few needless incidents of people going on the pitch. Ashton Gate Saturday I just didn’t get it and thought it was pointless.

Well done Boro.

Any chance anyone at City wants to grow a pair and do likewise? 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Well done Boro.

Any chance anyone at City wants to grow a pair and do likewise? 

During the bloody match as well! What sort of parent sends their kid on to the pitch while the game is on and then has a pop at a steward for trying to stop him?

Fair to say pretty much all the replies to that tweet are saying the club have done the right thing.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, KegCity said:

Nobody else in the ground ever sang even when the East End was still up, certainly not for the last 5-10 years anyway. Not trying to pass the buck but shoving those that sing into a corner of the ground the opposite end of the stadium to the away end hinders the atmosphere massively. I agree with you that I'd rather be in the East End but those days are over. People have been getting their knickers in a knot over a shoe getting thrown about and a pitch invasion ffs, there would be strokes if some of the stuff that used to happen in the East End happened at a match this season. If you don't like the atmosphere do something about it, create a better one.

I'm not trying to be rude or overly defensive, just don't understand the complaints from people that aren't in that area of the ground. Nobody is stopping the Dolman or Lansdown singing, but everyone still sits on their hands and does nothing. Lansdown/Dolman bounce around is always met with a handful getting involved and everyone else turning their nose up. Not everyone wants to sing, thats fine, just can't also complain about those that do.

I agree about chants mind, I personally can't stand Scott or Semenyo's, but I've not got anything better so I don't moan about it. I'd like to see a corner of the Atyeo have home fans in it like we did for Derby a few seasons ago and other big games. I'd stand there over the South Stand in a heartbeat.

Different parts of the ground for different types of supporter.

When I go, I want to see as much of the pitch as possible, so go I on the side. I want to see as much of the game as possible, to wonder at the intricacies and great play. 

Have you ever thought that when you are reacting to the game, or shouting and singing, you're not aware/can't hear of the others in the ground that are also out of their seats, because I can see it all around the ground from where I sit and the crowd do interact, mostly when the team plays well, which hasn't been for some time now.

I could hear the lads in the Dolman chanting yesterday, the people in and around me jumping up and singing about AW. But if you expect 40, 50, 60, 70 year olds to stand up and do the childish "bounce around the ground", then I think you're expectation levels need lowering.

As for standing next to opposition fans to improve the atmosphere, how does that really work? I understand that there's banter and opposing chants and reactive chants, but, the best and most noise, is created by the most people in the best area for it to spread, not stuck up in the corner, or next to another bunch of like minded away supporters, where all you get is a cacophony of noises drowning out each other. The other factor is the violent side of it. There are bound to be people that target the opposition, recognise them and then possibly sort it out after, or get agitated and animated during the game, ending up with people being ejected. That isn't wanted by this club and the owners, that's why they stuck you (S82) up in the corner, fragmented from as many other fans as possible. That's also why we're having this debate on this forum, relating to the behaviour of supporters.

If you go back a little further when the East End was for home supporters only, before your time I believe, there'd sometimes be a good atmosphere and sometimes ok, and quite a few times pretty poor. It was all in relation to the football. Whether it was a bigger crowd, a local derby or just an exciting game. We also had groups that would sing in the open end and the old enclosure.

In summary and speaking from experience, as I was once a nutter in the East End, you have to accept that not everyone wants to jump up and down going "mental", throwing peoples shoes around, shouting at and threatening opposition supporters. They might just want to watch a game of exciting football and show their appreciation in different ways than a few hundred currently do in the corner.

I do agree that things could be done to improve the overall atmosphere though. 

1. Unreserved seating in the two central blocks of the South Stand, still no standing though, as then everyone would need to stand, as at top premiership clubs.

2. Break up the away supporters into two or three separate sections. 

3. Turn off/lower the lighting above the exits during night games.

• Like 5
  • Flames 2

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Kids were on the pitch at Ashton Gate twice previously this season, not including Saturday. Assumption would be that at the very least parents/guardians didn't prevent, perhaps encouraged them who knows.

As for the wider point, don't condone it but different times. Excluding promotion, playoffs or staying up last home game, I remember at least two probably mainly kids on the pitch, Norwich in 1999 and definitely Preston in 2000. Unsure about subsequent dead rubbers but it has become progressively less acceptable over time. I remember those as they're my first 2 seasons.

One thing that has changed without a doubt is kids down the front shouting names of players during or after the game. For pictures, signed shirts or even an actual shirt. 

Autograph books at the end of games was about the limit of it in previous but relatively modern times. I certainly don't remember kids running on the pitch in relatively modern times to try and wangle a players shirt.

Remember used to stand at the bottom of the dolman stand as a kid with a programme and a pen during the warm up and the players would come and sign- not everyone’s admittedly and would head back either to the warm up or back in the changing rooms - how life has changed!!

• Like 3

On 01/05/2022 at 14:30, MarcusX said:

How far back? As long as I can remember several times I’ve been on the last game of the season and there’s been an announcement that the players will do a lap of honour, please don’t go on the pitch. Never been obeyed mind.

You don’t have to go too far back. With City’s promotion season under Cotts the post match lap of honour was incredibly slow and lasted over 20 minutes, yet it wasn’t ruined by pitch invasions 

2 hours ago, Rich said:

Different parts of the ground for different types of supporter.

When I go, I want to see as much of the pitch as possible, so go I on the side. I want to see as much of the game as possible, to wonder at the intricacies and great play. 

Have you ever thought that when you are reacting to the game, or shouting and singing, you're not aware/can't hear of the others in the ground that are also out of their seats, because I can see it all around the ground from where I sit and the crowd do interact, mostly when the team plays well, which hasn't been for some time now.

I could hear the lads in the Dolman chanting yesterday, the people in and around me jumping up and singing about AW. But if you expect 40, 50, 60, 70 year olds to stand up and do the childish "bounce around the ground", then I think you're expectation levels need lowering.

As for standing next to opposition fans to improve the atmosphere, how does that really work? I understand that there's banter and opposing chants and reactive chants, but, the best and most noise, is created by the most people in the best area for it to spread, not stuck up in the corner, or next to another bunch of like minded away supporters, where all you get is a cacophony of noises drowning out each other. The other factor is the violent side of it. There are bound to be people that target the opposition, recognise them and then possibly sort it out after, or get agitated and animated during the game, ending up with people being ejected. That isn't wanted by this club and the owners, that's why they stuck you (S82) up in the corner, fragmented from as many other fans as possible. That's also why we're having this debate on this forum, relating to the behaviour of supporters.

If you go back a little further when the East End was for home supporters only, before your time I believe, there'd sometimes be a good atmosphere and sometimes ok, and quite a few times pretty poor. It was all in relation to the football. Whether it was a bigger crowd, a local derby or just an exciting game. We also had groups that would sing in the open end and the old enclosure.

In summary and speaking from experience, as I was once a nutter in the East End, you have to accept that not everyone wants to jump up and down going "mental", throwing peoples shoes around, shouting at and threatening opposition supporters. They might just want to watch a game of exciting football and show their appreciation in different ways than a few hundred currently do in the corner.

I do agree that things could be done to improve the overall atmosphere though. 

1. Unreserved seating in the two central blocks of the South Stand, still no standing though, as then everyone would need to stand, as at top premiership clubs.

2. Break up the away supporters into two or three separate sections. 

3. Turn off/lower the lighting above the exits during night games.

I did say not everyone wants to sing and thats fine. Equally they can't then moan about the atmosphere when they do nothing to help create one. Think the only thing I disagree with is about being next to away fans. You can't hear the away end from S82 unless they're deafening and I would imagine they can't really hear S82. Atmosphere was always much more hostile when you're packed in next to the away supporters. The best away atmospheres I've been part of have been when home fans have been next door. Talking about spreading noise is irrelevant when barely anyone joins in outside the immediate areas next to the singing section, aside from the occasional dreary "Come on you reds". I agree that the club would like everything as family friendly as possible, I would argue that those who want to get aggressive are going to do so regardless.

Don't really see the point of unreserved seating in the South Stand but if safe standing was widened I think it would be a good thing. You can still sit and watch the game fine, I have when we've been dreadful and had an unrestricted view. 2 and 3 would be nice but no idea if its logistically doable, also don't think it'll change the fact that most people aren't interested in creating an atmosphere.

22 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

You don’t have to go too far back. With City’s promotion season under Cotts the post match lap of honour was incredibly slow and lasted over 20 minutes, yet it wasn’t ruined by pitch invasions 

I was sure you were wrong but looking for evidence I think you are right - however 2 reasons for that.

We won the league against Coventry and everyone ran on the pitch. 

It wasn’t so much about the lap of honour but the players were presented with the trophy so it was far more important that people stayed off the pitch to allow them to have their celebrations.

You're right though, everyone listened to the request that day

• Like 1

Really enjoying this thread so far.

By and large reaffirms the less than 1% of the fan base who use the forum regularly.

Although sometimes I get the the impression they think they are the fan base.

When city are still bang average in 20 years time you’ll honestly ask yourself (well some of you as quite a few will be dead) who are these numpties wasting thousands of pounds on season tickets for themselves and families? Why on earth are they so loyal? 

They’ll love the club and feel so loyal for many reasons, but very few will be because when they were young that sat politely in the Lansdown and just enjoyed really watching 90 minutes of division 2 football.

• Confused 1

34 minutes ago, 054123 said:

By and large reaffirms the less than 1% of the fan base who use the forum regularly.

When city are still bang average in 20 years time you’ll honestly ask yourself (well some of you as quite a few will be dead) who are these numpties wasting thousands of pounds on season tickets for themselves and families? Why on earth are they so loyal? 

They’ll love the club and feel so loyal for many reasons, but very few will be because when they were young that sat politely in the Lansdown and just enjoyed really watching 90 minutes of division 2 football.

Very confusing... so if you run on the pitch as a kid it turns you into some kind of super fan? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Steaming horseshite from start to finish.

You can create a fantastic atmosphere in support of your team without acting like selfish d1kheads.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Steaming horseshite from start to finish.

You can create a fantastic atmosphere in support of your team without acting like selfish d1kheads.

I don't think you've entered the field of play - with the exception of Lords, Somerset v Glos 1999 - with gay abandon since Chester 1984. That's far too long. Let's see you scaling the perimeter boundary, dodging the "stews" and steaming across AG to mob Antoine Semenyo in May 2023 as he scores the goal that secures our play-off place  (before we inevitably come up short in the do-or-die stuff)

15 hours ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

I don't think you've entered the field of play - with the exception of Lords, Somerset v Glos 1999 - with gay abandon since Chester 1984. 

Did we ruin Chester's lap of honour that day?

Lap of embarrassment more like - I see they finished bottom and had to apply for re-election, although they didn't play like it that day. They also had a centre-forward called Coy - what a terrible name for a footballer.