IGNORED

The Quality of the City Shop - again! Compare it to Hull’s

Denbury Red

Many of us were reminded to spend our “rewards” money over the last few weeks, and if like me, you browsed our website and looked at what was on offer in the Club shop - you were probably disappointed at the lack of choice compared to 10, 20 or 30 years ago.

I was having a quick look at the Hull website to see their reaction to yesterday’s game and a link for their ‘shop’ appeared - so I had a look.

What a huge difference in choice - 5 different choices of Polo shirts, 5 different choices of T shirts, numerous items under a fiver and many many more under a tenner from key rings, glasses, place mats, bedding and it goes on and on!!

Since the club shop (if you can really call it that) moved to the new location the choice has gone one way - down down down!!

Come on City - review your buying strategy and bring back choice for us City fans - the “Robin” logo is surely here to stay for the time being - so buy “accessories” and “gifts” which will have a shelf life of more than one season, whereas Team shirts will always change!

If in any need of inspiration - just look at the Hull club shop  www.tigerleisure.com

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

I'm really not sure what their aim is with the shop. I've said on numerous occasions the organisation and choice is poor. You make a good point about things under £5, I went in looking for a few jokey things to leave around my QPR supporting Brother in Laws house , I struggled. 
I said at Christmas about jumpers, they either don't bother or run out quickly. Not only that, with our Mascot being a Robin, they had a Deer on the front. Absolutely not effort or thought. 
They need a manager, or even to have a chat with the supporters club maybe. It's an income stream they are neglecting.

Just looked on the Hull site. Something I have mentioned before to several people but they ignore Twitter unless it's praise. I have tried to get Baubles for ages, eBay is one way but expensive , £5 each. Seems Hull can do them and at £9 for 4.

Screenshot 2022-05-01 at 09.16.57.png

Edited by 1960maaan
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I'm really not sure what their aim is with the shop. I've said on numerous occasions the organisation and choice is poor. You make a good point about things under £5, I went in looking for a few jokey things to leave around my QPR supporting Brother in Laws house , I struggled. 
I said at Christmas about jumpers, they either don't bother or run out quickly. Not only that, with our Mascot being a Robin, they had a Deer on the front. Absolutely not effort or thought. 
They need a manager, or even to have a chat with the supporters club maybe. It's an income stream they are neglecting.

Just looked on the Hull site. Something I have mentioned before to several people but they ignore Twitter unless it's praise. I have tried to get Baubles for ages, eBay is one way but expensive , £5 each. Seems Hull can do them and at £9 for 4.

Screenshot 2022-05-01 at 09.16.57.png

I find the lack of choice and class about the products at city some of the tops polo shirts etc just seem over the top. All you want is a simple quality top with a club badge. Arsenal do a sweatshirt in black with a simple badge of a gun in white but it looks smart a nice casual top to wear out obviously in the summer a smart t- shirt but you get my point.Have the over the top stuff but mix that with more smart wear more choice. City do the car air fresheners badges which I purchased and they look good and promote the club well more of that and like you say with the baubles more of that.

Been like it for to long think we all agree if more was available we would buy it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Street red said:

I find the lack of choice and class about the products at city some of the tops polo shirts etc just seem over the top. All you want is a simple quality top with a club badge. Arsenal do a sweatshirt in black with a simple badge of a gun in white but it looks smart a nice casual top to wear out obviously in the summer a smart t- shirt but you get my point.Have the over the top stuff but mix that with more smart wear more choice. City do the car air fresheners badges which I purchased and they look good and promote the club well more of that and like you say with the baubles more of that.

Been like it for to long think we all agree if more was available we would buy it.

Should take a leaf out of Arsenal's book in general for products. Appreciate they're one of the biggest clubs in the world and with Adidas but they have a great range of products and bring out retro stuff a couple times a season. Theres demand for similar with City and could do it in limited runs to maintain demand.

11 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Should take a leaf out of Arsenal's book in general for products. Appreciate they're one of the biggest clubs in the world and with Adidas but they have a great range of products and bring out retro stuff a couple times a season. Theres demand for similar with City and could do it in limited runs to maintain demand.

Same with Leeds utd and there retro wear that's smart and class at the same time.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, sticks 1969 said:

It’s been crap for years 

Yep. Used to buy the odd T-shirt or polo for my holiday, but not done so for yonks. 

It’s all tat in there now and the designs are overly fussy. What’s wrong with a plain design with the robin on? Not expensive to order, no worries about going out of date if no sports manufacturer on it. 
Not sure who at the club is in charge of it, but whoever it is needs a good rocket up the backside. 

59 minutes ago, Street red said:

I did give them some leeway when the badge was changed. But now, like you say they could do lines with simple shirts etc, they don't have to tie in everything with Hummel . They can do all sorts with just the Robin on, compared to that Hull shop it's embarrassing .

• Like 1

I wanted to buy my 3yo a shirt but he's small so a 2 1/2 works, youngest we have is 5yo (outside of babyware) which looks like a mess on him.

We go to football practice every week and there are kids with villa, man U, Chelsea, arsenal, Sunderland kits on and have clearly already been exposed and indoctrinated to the clubs there parents profess to support but me as someone who has watched city home and away for 20 years can't get a shirt and stick it to the other parents about what real support of a club is like.

Having led the moans about the rewards offer ending on Friday instead of yesterday, I ended up not going in there. The queues before and after the game were so long I thought I couldn't be bothered to get in and probably find that my £10 off didn't extend to a stationery set for my granddaughter.

I agree that the choice is poor and the shop is the least fit for purpose part of the stadium redesign.

If the club want to do it properly and serve the men and women's teams in football and rugby and the flyers, they should  look  to rent the space that is vacant in the retail park, or open plan the bar, coffee shop and retail shop to create a space similar to those branded American bars. It worked for Hard Rock and others, so why not?

2 hours ago, Denbury Red said:

Many of us were reminded to spend our “rewards” money over the last few weeks, and if like me, you browsed our website and looked at what was on offer in the Club shop - you were probably disappointed at the lack of choice compared to 10, 20 or 30 years ago.

I was having a quick look at the Hull website to see their reaction to yesterday’s game and a link for their ‘shop’ appeared - so I had a look.

What a huge difference in choice - 5 different choices of Polo shirts, 5 different choices of T shirts, numerous items under a fiver and many many more under a tenner from key rings, glasses, place mats, bedding and it goes on and on!!

Since the club shop (if you can really call it that) moved to the new location the choice has gone one way - down down down!!

Come on City - review your buying strategy and bring back choice for us City fans - the “Robin” logo is surely here to stay for the time being - so buy “accessories” and “gifts” which will have a shelf life of more than one season, whereas Team shirts will always change!

If in any need of inspiration - just look at the Hull club shop  www.tigerleisure.com

I’ve contacted our SLO about the lack of products available in the club shop for a while now with absolutely no reply. With the financial position the club is in you’d think they would want to increase products available to generate extra income. We’re miles behind many clubs in merchandise. @Street redI live by Leeds and the club shop at the ground is well stocked and they have a club shop in the city centre (I appreciate they’re a bigger club and a bigger fan base than us) but their club shop is always busy. Our club shop is closed today and tomorrow and when I asked the reply was it’s a bank holiday weekend !!

Edited by daored

I'll give you another example .... Malaga CF ... In Spain's second division... They have a club shop in the middle of the city as well as at the ground... Fantastically well stocked... Few items like a replica team bus and replica model of the ground... How great would it be if we have these in the city shop rather than leaking water bottles and stress balls? The shop really is embarrassing. I'd love it if external vendors set up outside the ground offering non authorised city gear... It would give some competition to the  crap thats currently in the store...  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SouthStand Sandwich said:

I'll give you another example .... Malaga CF ... In Spain's second division... They have a club shop in the middle of the city as well as at the ground... Fantastically well stocked... Few items like a replica team bus and replica model of the ground... How great would it be if we have these in the city shop rather than leaking water bottles and stress balls? The shop really is embarrassing. I'd love it if external vendors set up outside the ground offering non authorised city gear... It would give some competition to the  crap thats currently in the store...  

Believe it or not, Real Madrid have a club shop in the middle of Barcelona.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Denbury Red said:

Point well made DR have you shared this with our SLO? He might be able to use the feedback / suggestion to change things. 

Yes, it’s not a great selection, especially the smaller items. It could be really good, especially for the leisurewear items. Even the mugs are a bit grim. 
I do have a City beach towel but I guess friend bought it elsewhere, ie not official merchandise