IGNORED

The Quality of the City Shop - again! Compare it to Hull’s

Denbury Red

From a few things I've heard, there were rumours that the shop would be bigger when the Basketball stadium is built. It would involve all the teams linked with Bristol Sport. 
The shop they had in Broadmead must have cost a fortune to rent, and while it would have a lot of passing custom, who would actually go in that wouldn't go to games ? It obviously didn't make financial sense back then, though I would say times have changed . 
What I would also say, there is no point having a nice shop if you don't have a decent range to sell in it. 
I don't wear replica shirts, and being of a certain age I don't want a massive Robin on the back of a shirt/coat/jacket/top . 
As I've said, some subtle Tees with just the crest on it , stitched in would be great . It wouldn't make a difference who makes our playing kit, just a basic design that is always there as a staple. 

I don't understand, unless they are biding their time until the new build is done, why there is so little choice. One spotty Teen (Spots not a deal breaker ) on a laptop could check other teams sites for ideas, it's not rocket science.
As Lansdown is a business man, it is madness they are ignoring a potentially large income source. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

I would suggest the shop hasn't been any good since we had that Portakabin one behind the Grandstand, a proper Tardis in there

I remember going there in my first season 89/90 as a 10 year old, and it was like being on the terraces, you just had to squeeze into the shop and you sort of got moved around by the crowd without moving your feet!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Street red said:

Don't city still have a shop in the centre or cribbs? Not sure if you know Always thought they did.Clubs 39 million in debt but they close a revenue stream on a bank holiday is the through put of customers that bad.

I don’t  believe they do anymore 

3 hours ago, Denbury Red said:

t would make more sense having a shop in The Mall - footfall is huge, and surely would attract a worthwhile revenue!

Fukk the Mall, get one in the middle of Barcelona! If it’s good enough for Real it’s good enough for us. 

• Flames 1

11 hours ago, SouthStand Sandwich said:

I'd love it if external vendors set up outside the ground offering non authorised city gear... It would give some competition to the  crap thats currently in the store...  

I’ve bought a One team in Bristol t-shirt from outside the ground and a beanie hat for my son, both sold from a box on Ashton Road. I agree with you that it would be great to see some fan produced merchandise sold by vendors near the ground. 
The stuff in the shop is dogs eggs.

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan

15 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I was chatting to a friend last week who was in America recently and in the same arena he watched an ice hockey team, and the next day two different basketball teams who played one game in the afternoon and the other team played in the evening, and he said the stadium including the shop completely changed stock and branding depending on which of the 3 teams was playing.  He even went in to buy some merchandise for the ice hockey team when one of the basketball teams was playing and they said come back when they play!

That's brilliant and so simple.

15 hours ago, leader said:

A simple polo for the summer with a small robin on the chest also bucket hats for the summer , shorts, tee shirts rubbish shop must be losing a fortune 

Yes your correct leader all we want is simple tee shirts don’t have to be red or white plenty of summer colours to chose from , I tried doing this but was shut down by a nasty letter from club 

3D563B52-63FC-4226-AC42-9F376AD2E64D.jpeg

16 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

From a few things I've heard, there were rumours that the shop would be bigger when the Basketball stadium is built. It would involve all the teams linked with Bristol Sport. 
The shop they had in Broadmead must have cost a fortune to rent, and while it would have a lot of passing custom, who would actually go in that wouldn't go to games ? It obviously didn't make financial sense back then, though I would say times have changed . 
What I would also say, there is no point having a nice shop if you don't have a decent range to sell in it. 
I don't wear replica shirts, and being of a certain age I don't want a massive Robin on the back of a shirt/coat/jacket/top . 
As I've said, some subtle Tees with just the crest on it , stitched in would be great . It wouldn't make a difference who makes our playing kit, just a basic design that is always there as a staple. 

I don't understand, unless they are biding their time until the new build is done, why there is so little choice. One spotty Teen (Spots not a deal breaker ) on a laptop could check other teams sites for ideas, it's not rocket science.
As Lansdown is a business man, it is madness they are ignoring a potentially large income source. 

All they need to do is look at what fans of the big P/L teams are wearing (so obviously what sells) and replicate that for Bristol City. Its not rocket science you can see Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool branded clothing on the streets of Bristol every day. 

4 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

All they need to do is look at what fans of the big P/L teams are wearing (so obviously what sells) and replicate that for Bristol City. Its not rocket science you can see Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool branded clothing on the streets of Bristol every day. 

Or they could do something REALLY interesting, such as asking fans of various ages what they would want to wear and how much would they pay for it.

Kids hoodie, fifteen quid, machine washable, screen printed logo as it'll be too small before it wears out.

Adult hoodie, forty quid, embroidered logo as it'll likely last a few years....

You get the idea.

No comic sans, just stuff that people will buy.

46 minutes ago, Magger1 said:

Yes your correct leader all we want is simple tee shirts don’t have to be red or white plenty of summer colours to chose from , I tried doing this but was shut down by a nasty letter from club 

3D563B52-63FC-4226-AC42-9F376AD2E64D.jpeg

I’m not surprised, trying to sell a blue top with a city badge on. You’re lucky it was just a letter!

• Haha 1

On 01/05/2022 at 12:53, ZumerZetSmithy said:

I did use my card to buy a cheaper polo shirt . Still expensive but it's not bad quality.  When I saw it was £45 glad it only cost £18 in the end 

One of the worse things about the online shopping is the cost of postage abroad. If I want to order any merchandise, I am landed with a £40 postage and packing charge.

On 01/05/2022 at 14:42, Tinmans Love Child said:

They had a pop up shop in cabots at Christmas a few years back, I guess rental for a shop in town will be very high so might not be worth it?

Not post COVID, Broadmead is dying on its arse & even Cabot has several vacant spaces.

If they made an offer for a retail unit in that part of the centre they would snap City’s hand off for it.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Not post COVID, Broadmead is dying on its arse & even Cabot has several vacant spaces.

If they made an offer for a retail unit in that part of the centre they would snap City’s hand off for it.

I think this is what people don’t realise - if you take the cost of rent, rates etc even before staff costs for most retail areas it isn’t viable for a business like City/Bristol Sport

https://shopproperty.co.uk/PropertySearch.aspx?Region=SouthWest&Tenure=Leasehold&SortBy=Highest Price&Page=4

This is a search of retail properties to rent in the South West. For City to have a unit in Broadwalk is £50k (plus rates, heat, light, staff) before we start. There is no way BCFC are making the £4K a week it needs to make such a unit viable - and that’s not in prime retail location.

If you take another example, Villa closed their shop on Broad Street for similar metrics.

The talk of a “centre” location is nonsense. Yes, we need a better shop/range - but it needs to be in the wider AG estate when redeveloped 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

On 01/05/2022 at 18:56, Denbury Red said:

They did try in the City Centre - but as mentioned the rental cost must be excessive and how many people go into City centres these days - I haven’t been in one for probably 5 years.

It would make more sense having a shop in The Mall - footfall is huge, and surely would attract a worthwhile revenue!

Well, that's a kick in the baubles Denbury.

9 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think this is what people don’t realise - if you take the cost of rent, rates etc even before staff costs for most retail areas it isn’t viable for a business like City/Bristol Sport

https://shopproperty.co.uk/PropertySearch.aspx?Region=SouthWest&Tenure=Leasehold&SortBy=Highest Price&Page=4

This is a search of retail properties to rent in the South West. For City to have a unit in Broadwalk is £50k (plus rates, heat, light, staff) before we start. There is no way BCFC are making the £4K a week it needs to make such a unit viable - and that’s not in prime retail location.

If you take another example, Villa closed their shop on Broad Street for similar metrics.

The talk of a “centre” location is nonsense. Yes, we need a better shop/range - but it needs to be in the wider AG estate when redeveloped 

Agreed, they would be better off selling shirts or whatever in agreement with another retail store and save themselves the hassle and costs of running a shop

• Like 1

I think this has been brought up before  but has the club shop emptied stock as if you go on the app and click shop there’s next to nothing available 

surely through summer they should be stocked up with shorts / T-shirt’s beach towels / sun hats - last years kit in all sizes and new kit when released  there seems to be very little care for the fans needs , come on city get your act together