IGNORED

I Wouldn’t Give Nige Any Money In The Summer…

Davefevs

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The kind of quote we heard all season re his recruitment.  At various stages I responded by asking whether it’s best to wait until the end of the season. Well, we are almost here…one week to go.

Here’s my view.  Not meant to be right or wrong, so more rationale than “rating”

Fees Paid:

Atkinson: started well, suffered mid season through illness / form but has come back strong.  More than happy with Rob.

Tanner: low expectations of minutes overall, and injuries have hampered progress, but looks a decent signing for the future.

Free Transfers:

James: a bit like Atkinson, started decently, mid-season injury, come back well.  Probably more influential than we think.

King: just hadn’t played enough, although I thought he was decent when he played

Klose: bloody excellent

Re-signings:

Weimann: stellar, nothing else to add, other than done this on a smaller wage

Baker: was playing well until injury…such a shame.  Was a risk, didn’t pay off

Simpson: poor signing, only mitigated by him being on a low salary / coaches salary.

My view is that although the above shows a mix of results, I would go with a positive overall (others may disagree), and I’d certainly have no issues with Nige making the decisions on who to sign this summer with limited budget.

It’s difficult to judge the summer recruitment without knowing the budget Pearson had.

I think on the whole it’s been ok, James and King for me were brought in for leadership in the dressing room. James has shown glimpses of quality and King unfortunately hasn’t been fit enough on a consistent basis. 

Atkinson has been a decent signing with room for improvement. Tanner too early to judge. 

Simpson has been an awful signing , for me should never have been brought in short or long term, personally don’t want someone with that conviction at my club. Simpson has been a stick with which many have beaten Pearson with. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, daored said:

It’s difficult to judge the summer recruitment without knowing the budget Pearson had.

I think on the whole it’s been ok, James and King for me were brought in for leadership in the dressing room. James has shown glimpses of quality and King unfortunately hasn’t been fit enough on a consistent basis. 

Atkinson has been a decent signing with room for improvement. Tanner too early to judge. 

Simpson has been an awful signing , for me should never have been brought in short or long term, personally don’t want someone with that conviction at my club. Simpson has been a stick with which many have beaten Pearson with. 

Quite simply the “budget” was less than previous managers had.  If my calculations are right the cost this season will be the lowest since 16/17.

I totally agree with your assessment of his signings to date. imo he has only made one mistake and that was re signing Simpson. 

If James is (match) fit at the start of next season I think we will see a better player than we have recently.

Agree re King. Barring injury he would have been useful towards the end of games coming off the bench.

I think he got 6 1/2 out 8 signings spot on, bearing in mind the budget he was working to.

I guess he is looking at Centre backs as per his comments about 5 weeks ago and wouldn't be surprised to see 2 coming in (maybe one that is comfortable in the centre or at RB) with Kalas and possibly Baker leaving.

I think King and COD are done so possible one central midfielder coming in.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The kind of quote we heard all season re his recruitment.  At various stages I responded by asking whether it’s best to wait until the end of the season. Well, we are almost here…one week to go.

Here’s my view.  Not meant to be right or wrong, so more rationale than “rating”

Fees Paid:

Atkinson: started well, suffered mid season through illness / form but has come back strong.  More than happy with Rob.

Tanner: low expectations of minutes overall, and injuries have hampered progress, but looks a decent signing for the future.

Free Transfers:

James: a bit like Atkinson, started decently, mid-season injury, come back well.  Probably more influential than we think.

King: just hadn’t played enough, although I thought he was decent when he played

Re-signings:

Simpson: poor signing, only mitigated by him being on a low salary / coaches salary.

My view is that although the above shows a mix of results, I would go with a positive overall (others may disagree), and I’d certainly have no issues with Nige making the decisions on who to sign this summer with limited budget.

Going by vardy and Mahrez I have faith in nige he certainly knows a player and definitely can turn a lower league player into a quality one without spending a fortune. Mahrez signed from ligue 2 for 450 what steal that was at 22 years old.

• Like 2

What I really like, is that he seems to be really owning it himself.

Driving up to games with your assistant to watch someone you’ve had your eye on is ******* brilliant compared to the favoured agents/database stuff we’ve had over the last few years. 

He clearly knows what he/we wants, and he seems to be in control of how we get that. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Quite simply the “budget” was less than previous managers had.  If my calculations are right the cost this season will be the lowest since 16/17.

Exactly, and has to be taken into consideration when judging his recruitment. I’m sure if he had a bigger budget, the players brought in would be very different 

• Like 2

What I like is Nige clearly likes winners, fighters, consistency, building teams and partnerships. 

All player attributes/objectives missing from previous managers transfer target priorities. 

Despite my little ‘wobble’ last month it appears, at last, we have a proper football manager. Give him what he wants imo - subject to FFP limitations. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

What I really like, is that he seems to be really owning it himself.

Driving up to games with your assistant to watch someone you’ve had your eye on is ******* brilliant compared to the favoured agents/database stuff we’ve had over the last few years. 

He clearly knows what he/we wants, and he seems to be in control of how we get that. 

And I would hope he meets any players and agents to sign them at the motorway services....just like managers used to do in the old days.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Fees Paid:

Free Transfers:

Re-signings:

Slight cop out on King, Dave, if you don’t mind me saying. Why did we think we’d keep 32/33yo King fit when his playing record since 2014-15 has been desperately poor? Not much good playing ok when you’re fit if you’re barely fit. Poor signing for me. 

Edited by firstdivision
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Fees Paid:

Free Transfers:

Re-signings:

With the thought that you can't legislate for injuries, and Tanner was one for the future, I'd say hit hit rate was high. I'm happy he's leading the recruitment. At least he knows how we want to play, how we want to shape up, where we are weak and will recruit accordingly .

I'm not sure it will stay like that after the summer. When he has his first group , allowing for last year having to ditch a teams worth of players and top up with freebees, I think he will carry on reshaping recruitment . I have no proof, just how I've read all those interviews over the year. 

That he's out looking at players suggests to me he's a way down the process line to signing someone, or more realistically bidding/enquiring. But to go and see someone to me feels like the last bit of scouting. 

I feel confident there will be more direction and focus to the players brought in, whether they work out is the million Dollar question.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

Slight cop out on King, Dave, if you don’t mind me saying. Why did we think we’d keep 32/33yo King fit when his playing record since 2014-15 has been desperately poor? Not much good playing ok when you’re fit if you’re barely fit. Poor signing for me. 

“Just hasn’t played enough” isn’t a cop out, it’s a negative, hence the “…but” afterwards.

1 hour ago, Mad Cyril said:

Not sure you can ignore another big aspect of manager influence and selection.... bringing youth through. 

Bloody hell he gets an A+ from me on that one. Probably the most exciting aspect of this season....

Good point Cyril but it begs the question that would Nige have played the youngsters if he’d not been hampered by injuries to senior players?……I’m not sure that he deserves much credit for it

However…..most of the younger players have done well which suggests that Nige has made the right call on who to introduce. Scott in particular has really impressed. The likes of Bell and Conway have made their debuts and the future looks promising if they all continue to develop.

I know that Semenyo had always showed  potential and that he’s not exactly a youngster in terms of experience  but this season he’s developed massively to being one of the first names on the teamsheet - hopefully City can keep him this summer.

Edited by Robbored
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Malago said:

From what Richard Gould said in his interview yesterday we’re looking to shop in the premier league U23 reject market.  Can see any signing there costing big sums.

For what it is worth I tend to agree- do you mean loans or free agents ie released from their academy?

Although it seems Cardiff are getting some useful, apparently anyway, loan rates.

Morison has already said that Cardiff will utilise the loan market again this summer, just as they did by filling up the allotted five loan spaces in January, and believes the Bluebirds can get that extra bit of quality from the top flight at a fraction of the price. They will need all the quality they can get if they are to make a better fist of it next season.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/cardiff-city-meet-arsenal-southampton-23808737

Deals will have to be struck, as they were in January, to pay fractions of these Premier League players' wages. Cardiff managed to lop off a chunk of their salaries in the winter window and will have to be similarly stern at the bargaining table this time around.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/cardiff-city-go-full-moneyball-23742593

What can we learn from this. Put another way, what are Cardiff (seemingly) doing differently to us. We know it costs for PL loanees, and yet it sounds as if they are getting deals on quite favourable terms.

One or two articles suggest it that a supposedly more attractive style of play has pushed them up the pecking order but have they really changed that much?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Fees Paid:

Free Transfers:

Re-signings:

Please stop the "Simpson was on a coaches salary nonsense".

8 hours ago, Street red said:

Going by vardy and Mahrez I have faith in nige he certainly knows a player and definitely can turn a lower league player into a quality one without spending a fortune. Mahrez signed from ligue 2 for 450 what steal that was at 22 years old.

Pearson didn't "spot" Marhez" to be fair.

He had a brilliant recruitment department.

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

For what it is worth I tend to agree- do you mean loans or free agents ie released from their academy?

Although it seems Cardiff are getting some useful, apparently anyway, loan rates.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/cardiff-city-meet-arsenal-southampton-23808737

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/cardiff-city-go-full-moneyball-23742593

What can we learn from this. Put another way, what are Cardiff (seemingly) doing differently to us. We know it costs for PL loanees, and yet it sounds as if they are getting deals on quite favourable terms.

One or two articles suggest it that a supposedly more attractive style of play has pushed them up the pecking order but have they really changed that much?

The only thing we can learn from this article is to get our business done as early as possible, ideally by the start of pre-season. That’s worked in the past and should always be the benchmark. 

Regarding loans, Nige isn’t averse to them as shown by him loaning Harry Kane, Jesse Lingard, Nick Powell etc while at Leicester. The key point he makes about loans is the loanees have to be better than we already have as well as being cost-effective. 

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I suspect its easier to strike a cheap loan deal in January (as Cardiff did) than during the summer. In January most PL teams know their squads and who will be getting game time, and who needs loaning out to put them in the shop window. The summer transfer market is a different beast.

• Like 2

The thing for me is that not all signings will work out so the main question I go off is whether I understand the rationale for the signings that don’t work out.

For the example, Lois Diony was an absolute disaster but I completely get why we took a chance on a powerful, pacy striker doing well in the French league. However I didn’t really understand spending £1.5 million on a striker with a slightly better than decent record in the Swedish leagues or signing two attacking midfielders in the summer of 2019 when we had a large unbalanced squad overloaded with attacking midfielders.

In terms of Pearson, Baker and King are free signings (or re-signings) that did not quite pay off but the rationale made perfect sense. Similarly Tanner has had a tough time fitness wise and Atkinson has had ups and downs but both made sense as signings for the future.

The only signing Pearson has made that I’m genuinely critical of is Simpson. I did not get the rationale, it did not pay off and it created a bad feeling with a section of the fan base in doing so.

But I nonetheless feel there is a recruitment plan and would trust Pearson over the summer.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, daored said:

Exactly, and has to be taken into consideration when judging his recruitment. I’m sure if he had a bigger budget, the players brought in would be very different 

Picking/watching players you want beats analysis and other data. Old school scouting and talking to players 121 means NP is sussing out players he can trust and rely on to do exactly what he expects on match days whether they are good human beings or not. Play my way, do what I ask and you will succeed. If you aren’t on the bus then good bye 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Listening again to RG, the context seemed important, he was talking about signing league 1 and 2 players and then went on to talk about Prem U23, and those players seeing us playing 18-20 year olds.

I read that as us looking to make permanent signings, especially among those who's choice is probably, sit here and play another year of U23 "fake" football or go to a club where you can get real experience and maybe take a step down to get back up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I remain confident in NP's ability to build a decent squad, irrespective of any financial restrictions. He's not the problem, its a much bigger issue about the club as a whole that concerns me. 

Bristol City should have made the top flight by now, under SL's ownership. As I've said before, the chance was missed early on, and now we find ourselves in a much more restricted world in football, where factors such as FFP, parachute payments etc mean that getting out of the Championship is much more difficult than it could (and should) have been. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

The player Semenyo has become and Diony dreams of being like. 

As shit as he was here, he went on to play in the French top flight and has played in the Champions League for Red Star Belgrade. 

I think he just never settled in Bristol and perhaps didn't really want to come in the first place. He never looked particularly committed.