IGNORED

League AGM

22A

Usually late May / early June, the League holds it's AGM attended by all 92 club's Chairmen and amongst other things, they discuss amendments to the rules.

Any suggestions you think we could ask  City's Chairman to raise? (Other than only one team per city / town allowed in the League ? )

A change I'd like to see is that if a team is awarded a free kick, they can take it as soon as they want without having to wit for the Ref's whistle.

A possibility would be to have off side only in the penalty area.

3 minutes ago, 22A said:

A change I'd like to see is that if a team is awarded a free kick, they can take it as soon as they want without having to wit for the Ref's whistle.

On a similar theme, as soon as the refs whistle goes for a free-kick, any opposition player who touches it afterwards (unless deliberately booted at them) or stops the kick being taken by standing near the ball should be cautioned. None of this fake “I didn’t hear the whistle” lark.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 22A said:

Usually late May / early June, the League holds it's AGM attended by all 92 club's Chairmen and amongst other things, they discuss amendments to the rules.

Any suggestions you think we could ask  City's Chairman to raise? (Other than only one team per city / town allowed in the League ? )

A free kick can be taken without the refs whistle. but there are criteria where you cannot take a free kick quickly like has the ref identified what the offence is, whether there will be a sanction, can the opponents get ten metres away etc.   

Edited by Cowshed
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

Backchatting the ref = yellow card.

Holding up pretend card = yellow card.

The sin bin remains a great idea.

No suspension after 5 games, but 10 minutes in the bin during the game the offence was committed makes a lot of sense.

Otherwise a future opponent gets the benefit.

• Like 1

Parachute money to be distributed in a similar way to Premier League prize money. The higher league position you finish the more money you get. Could stop clubs being ' on the beach' for the last few games if there is a million more quid to be earned by finishing 15th instead of 17th for example.

42 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Parachute money to be distributed in a similar way to Premier League prize money. The higher league position you finish the more money you get. Could stop clubs being ' on the beach' for the last few games if there is a million more quid to be earned by finishing 15th instead of 17th for example.

Isn't this the current idea under discussion?

18 hours ago, Davefevs said:

On a similar theme, as soon as the refs whistle goes for a free-kick, any opposition player who touches it afterwards (unless deliberately booted at them) or stops the kick being taken by standing near the ball should be cautioned. None of this fake “I didn’t hear the whistle” lark.

I’d go further. Once the free kick is awarded any opposition player who deliberately moves closer to the ball (within 10 yards) has to leave the pitch until the ball next goes out of play (other than for a free kick awarded against the offending team). Want two or three players to slow down a free kick? Feel free. But you’ll have to defend it and the follow-up play with eight or nine players.

With footballers being so fit and so well organised these days, taking a quick free kick is one of the few ways a team can use its nous to gain a clear advantage. Seeing that possibility frustrated by players standing in front of the ball - often abetted by refs whose response is to insist that the FK can’t be taken before he whistles - drives me crazy.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, 22A said:

Bring back the obstruction law, ban grappling at corners and free kicks, kick the ball away at all yellow card, only captain can speak to ref, only 1 substitution after 85 mins, 10 mins in sin bin for "professional fouls"

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:

It won’t happen, but I’d love to see the ref be able to call “time off” when there’s an injury ect, like in rugby and the time is displayed in the ground.

That would be amazing. It boils my urine so much even when we do it.

Why was the rule about advancing free kicks 10 metres, if they were disputed, revoked. Bring it back and allow the team with the free kick to take it from the original spot if they prefer. (To get the ball up and over the wall and on goal for example)

19 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Surely any rule change to the laws of the game would have to be ratified by FIFA ?

That is IFAB. 

International Football Association Board | Laws of the Game | IFAB (theifab.com)

The links explain how laws are changed. Its a process that has to benefit football as a whole not individual leagues and TV. Football rules should be universal. 

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

That is IFAB. 

International Football Association Board | Laws of the Game | IFAB (theifab.com)

The links explain how laws are changed. Its a process that has to benefit football as a whole not individual leagues and TV. Football rules should be universal. 

Thanks, I was going to post this. Imagine the chaos if leagues were allowed to each set their own laws.

3 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

Could even give the referee a watch so he can check his timings...

I've ways thought the crowd could start the six second chant, in unison,  to remind the ref and maybe gee the keeper up a bit. Would also be more productive than throwing shoes around.

• Like 1

I would like them to consider something to reduce kit clashes - particularly where there is an obvious difficulty for colour blind players/supporters.

Refereeing teams should be able to identify potentially difficult clashes (there are free apps that show what the world is like for people with different types of colour blindness) and the league should be capable of gathering kit information as the kits are released, in the process identifying & mitigating potential clashes.

I would expect them to consider introducing a rule that an away kit should not clash with the clubs own home kit.

I get that football is a business now, moreso than the days of clubs having the same shirts for 4 years, but there is absolutely no reason to have a shirt you can only use in games that it would be perfectly fine to wear your home shirt in. Shirt sales have such little value at the top of the pyramid anyway; if it's about the money, let's deal with inclusivity first and then the money men can fight out whether you can have an extra sponsors patch across the players' shirts.

If a team turns up with only their away kit/third kit and it's a particularly awkward clash, the home side should have a suitable alternative lined up.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Always Believesham said:

I would like them to consider something to reduce kit clashes - particularly where there is an obvious difficulty for colour blind players/supporters.

Refereeing teams should be able to identify potentially difficult clashes (there are free apps that show what the world is like for people with different types of colour blindness) and the league should be capable of gathering kit information as the kits are released, in the process identifying & mitigating potential clashes.

I would expect them to consider introducing a rule that an away kit should not clash with the clubs own home kit.

I get that football is a business now, moreso than the days of clubs having the same shirts for 4 years, but there is absolutely no reason to have a shirt you can only use in games that it would be perfectly fine to wear your home shirt in. Shirt sales have such little value at the top of the pyramid anyway; if it's about the money, let's deal with inclusivity first and then the money men can fight out whether you can have an extra sponsors patch across the players' shirts.

If a team turns up with only their away kit/third kit and it's a particularly awkward clash, the home side should have a suitable alternative lined up.

There are already frameworks and rules around kit blends. They vary depending on rhe league, for example the EFL and Premier League have different systems. Ultimately the match day referee does have the final say on whether kits are appropriate. 

The problems begin at design stage, but can then be exacerbated through kit choice.

• Like 1