IGNORED

Euro 2028 bid

of course the way we handled the Final this year will guarantee it, no coked up nutters, no ticket problems, no security issues, all felt really safe! Unless all games are played in Ireland, Wales and Scotland with England being used as a car park it's going to be a hard sell.

And then there's the Northern Ireland issue that could well see the UK breaking its agreement.

Edited by adamski

23 minutes ago, adamski said:

of course the way we handled the Final this year will guarantee it, no coked up nutters, no ticket problems, no security issues, all felt really safe! Unless all games are played in Ireland, Wales and Scotland with England being used as a car park it's going to be a hard sell.

And then there's the Northern Ireland issue that could well see the UK breaking its agreement.

Literally every single country that hosts a major tournament has fan issues, France, Russia, Brazil, South Africa , it makes no difference really

• Like 1

3 hours ago, adamski said:

Read about Turkish fans reputation and ours seem angelic by comparison...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Super said:

List of stadiums

May be an image of text that says "UK & IRELAND EURO 2028 BID HOST CITIES 1.London Wembley Stadium 2. Cardiff National Stadium of Wales Manchester 3. London Tottenham Hotspur Stadium City of Manchester Stadium 5. Liverpool Everton Stadium St James' Park 6. Newcastle .Birmingham Villa Park 8. Glasgow Hampden Park 9. Dublin Dublin Arena 10. Belfast| Casement Park"

Funny how politics decides a lot of these.

If you choose Ibrox you have to also choose Celtic Park so the 3rd best stadium in Glasgow gets chosen instead.

Interesting they chose Newcastle and Everton over their local rivals stadia. I guess Man Utd could be in the process of being rebuilt at that time hence Man City get chosen.

1 minute ago, The Bard said:

If you choose Ibrox you have to also choose Celtic Park so the 3rd best stadium in Glasgow gets chosen instead.

Interesting they chose Newcastle and Everton over their local rivals stadia. I guess Man Utd could be in the process of being rebuilt at that time hence Man City get chosen.

Surely Hampden Park is being chosen for the same reason as Wembley and the National Stadium of Wales? National Teams hosting would want to play in their home stadium. 

• Like 4

Zip in the south of England either on this or the original fourteen; I'm not counting the two in London.

I'm not claiming that there is any bias as the biggest capacity is Southampton's ground with 32k which isn't big enough for this.

Though it does serve to highlight that there is an opening for any non-London club in the south which is brave enough to take it.

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_football_stadiums_by_capacity

12 minutes ago, The Bard said:

As true as that is, I think this is purely an excuse to save face. Fact is once the Etihad reaches 60k, even with a lower capacity it becomes a far more suitable tournament venue than Old Trafford.

12 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Zip in the south of England either on this or the original fourteen; I'm not counting the two in London.

I'm not claiming that there is any bias as the biggest capacity is Southampton's ground with 32k which isn't big enough for this.

Though it does serve to highlight that there is an opening for any non-London club in the south which is brave enough to take it.

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_football_stadiums_by_capacity

Sadly I think with Cardiff just over the bridge we’d be unlikely to ever get a sniff… annoyingly. 

3 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

Sadly I think with Cardiff just over the bridge we’d be unlikely to ever get a sniff… annoyingly. 

To be fair, Cardiff National stadium is an amazing venue, and so easy to get to. Next to train station, surrounded by pubs/restaurants. Compare and contrast that with AG which has crap transportation in comparison

• Like 5

I understand the politics of using casement park but it needs serious development and a raise in capacity plus the locals have stood in the way of any development previously, unless it's changed since I last looked.

Open terracing and one crappy stand the last time I went there.

6 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

Think back to that failed World Cup bid. Milton Keynes was for some reason, included in the South West group of possible grounds.

As for that list of 10, time was when Hillsborough would have been an automatic choice.

Pedant mode; the word is  stadia, not stadiums. Similarly one referendum, but two referenda. Just to confuse things, a bag of plums, not a bag of pla.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Surely Hampden Park is being chosen for the same reason as Wembley and the National Stadium of Wales? National Teams hosting would want to play in their home stadium. 

You're half right and are backing up what I am saying.  Politics.

Only someone from the Scottish FA would say Hampden is the best Glaswegian option.

30 minutes ago, sticks 1969 said:

I really can’t see turkey getting it 

I wouldn't be sure. They are much more willing to make non-refundable miscellaneous payments to assist with the decision making. There are many political reasons to keep the Turkish delighted. 

Edited by RoystonFoote'snephew
Added content
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 22A said:

Think back to that failed World Cup bid. Milton Keynes was for some reason, included in the South West group of possible grounds.

As for that list of 10, time was when Hillsborough would have been an automatic choice.

Pedant mode; the word is  stadia, not stadiums. Similarly one referendum, but two referenda. Just to confuse things, a bag of plums, not a bag of pla.

Similar to the Roman Centurion who was at Ashton Gate for the games in AD 104 and in the concourse at halftime asked for a Martinus.

'Are you sure it's not a Martini you want?' replied the barman.

'Look, mate,' responded the Centurion, grabbing him by the throat. 'If I wanted a double I would've asked for one!'

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

I understand the politics of using casement park but it needs serious development and a raise in capacity plus the locals have stood in the way of any development previously, unless it's changed since I last looked.

It’s been out of use for a while and it is to be totally re-built, a bit surprised they’re allowing an “English” sport to be played at a Gaelic stadium.
Croke Park in Dublin is twice the size of Landsdown Rd but politically it’s a hot potato to play football there

18 minutes ago, harrys said:

It’s been out of use for a while and it is to be totally re-built, a bit surprised they’re allowing an “English” sport to be played at a Gaelic stadium.
Croke Park in Dublin is twice the size of Landsdown Rd but politically it’s a hot potato to play football there

That's true but it has changed in the last while. Our football and rugby national sides played there while Lansdown Road was being rebuilt. I haven't checked the dates, but Croke Park may not have been available for the Euros because of All Ireland fixtures.

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

Not sure its the latest plan but saw this image attached to what its supposed design will look like

Casement Park

• Like 1