IGNORED

Consistently Inconsistent to Consistent?

Davefevs

Are we finally seeing better performances (in the main) and results as a result of a pretty settled team, system, style, etc?

in the 9 games since and including the 1-0 win at Blackburn, here’s the players who’ve started.

Bentley (9)

Cundy (9) Klose (9) Atkinson (9)

Scott (8) James (9) Williams (5) Dasilva (8)

Weimann (9)

Martin (9) Semenyo (7)

———————

Pring (2), Massengo (3), Benarous (1), Wells (2)

We often hear “Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results” but how do you embed teamwork, partnerships, players getting used to each other’s game if you bin it based on results alone, or without giving it time?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Interesting point . I always had a feeling this season served as much as a minimise damage but also find out the value of the squad members . We have learnt a lot . If certain players get punished at this level they are not going to cope with a promotion . Equally , the need for players to also play for the team and not themselves . Perfect example Jay DS vs Palmer . So a season of breaking and shaping . Near the end of season you could see some stability arrive and with that and improved understanding between players . Players doing what they can do rather than trying to be something that they are not . A base to build from . End of last season we were a joke and a shambles . This time you can see the positives and where we need to develop . 

All eyes on next season now as we face a quite complex summer , almost certainly to be with ups and downs and twists and turns . But at least we now have some basics in place in the squad , some base standards . 

I cannot wait for next season 

This defends on who we bring in and who goes out of the club. If decent bids come in our top players will be off.

7 minutes ago, Super said:

This defends on who we bring in and who goes out of the club. If decent bids come in our top players will be off.

If Semenyo leaves we are back to square one imo. Pearson has been open in his tactic of playing on the break. You need players with genuine pace to make that work. AS is our key player to making this work. If he is sold we will need a similar replacement as no-one else in the squad has pace. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Are we finally seeing better performances (in the main) and results as a result of a pretty settled team, system, style, etc?

in the 9 games since and including the 1-0 win at Blackburn, here’s the players who’ve started.

Bentley (9)

Weimann (9)

Martin (9) Semenyo (7)

———————

We often hear “Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results” but how do you embed teamwork, partnerships, players getting used to each other’s game if you bin it based on results alone, or without giving it time?

I agree, but for once I think we've been helped with injuries.
With Kalas out it meant runs for Atkinson and Cundy, which has got them up to fitness but also given them a run alongside our most vocal , experienced CB. I think Klose has made a massive difference helping the other two, plus he's looking fully up to speed himself.
Tha front 3 always looked promising, but as you say the games meant they are really forming partnerships. The first time passes Saturday really shows that. 
It's a real shame Tanner hasn't been able to get a run, I think Scott could do with a rest. 
How Pearson has managed Williams has been brilliant. In fact looking back at how the season has gone, the many decisions I have questions, maybe he had a plan all along. Because we aren't used to it, maybe I just I didn't recognise it ?

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Bentley (9)

Weimann (9)

Martin (9) Semenyo (7)

———————

For me, the main factor in our improved performances has been the fielding of a consistent back three, and the individual performances of Klose, Atkinson and Cundy.  Klose has been a very good signing indeed, not least because he seems to be a leader; Atkinson is now looking the player he was at the start of the season, having had a very difficult period due to injury and illness; and Cundy is clearly improving each game as he gets used to Championship football.  As they say, attackers win matches but defenders win championships.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, billywedlock said:

I always had a feeling this season served as much as a minimise damage but also find out the value of the squad members . We have learnt a lot . If certain players get punished at this level they are not going to cope with a promotion

I think that is very true.  A frugal approach to learning who is up to it shouldn’t be underplayed!

even if we take the historically “hard to find” RB position as an example, Nige started the season trying to “make-do” with Simpson and Vyner - the cheap option - and I was perfectly happy with that approach.  He could’ve gone into the market last summer and that would’ve taken budget away from Atkinson, which is looking like good business imho.  It’s allowed him to find out that Vyner isn’t the answer at RB (☹️) much as it would’ve been great had he made it his own, nor could Simpson cover it either.  So he brought forward the need for a RB and went with the £300k “development / hungry” option.  Tanner’s injury was unfortunate because for a guy stepping up from Lg2 he did ok.  He has 11 Championship starts under his belt, which is probably no more than expected really - Nige had said he didn’t expect him to challenge until the new year.

Not a popular opinion on here but I have thought for a while that Kalas (and his lack of communication) has been a weak link defensively. I think we have only conceded 11 in 9 games since he has been absent, as opposed 2 per game when he was playing.

• Like 5
  • Hmmm 1

Assuming (and praying !) we keep our front three, then there is a huge improvement upon where we were 12 months ago.

We had suffered games with 1 or sometimes 2 shots on target all game last season. Now at least we look threatening going forward.

Now for NP to sort out the defence.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Bentley (9)

Weimann (9)

Martin (9) Semenyo (7)

———————

Now where have I heard that phrase used repeatedly over the course of the season ?

I would be more than happy to start next season with 9 of that 11. Maybe an upgrade on Cundy with him being used more as a squad player and a 'proper' Right wing back. Not too sure where that leaves Alex Scott, but I guess James and Williams would rotate with Scott depending on injury / fitness levels.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

Assuming (and praying !) we keep our front three, then there is a huge improvement upon where we were 12 months ago.

We had suffered games with 1 or sometimes 2 shots on target all game last season. Now at least we look threatening going forward.

Now for NP to sort out the defence.

Don't think he's far off judging by the last 9 games.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Not a popular opinion on here but I have thought for a while that Kalas (and his lack of communication) has been a weak link defensively. I think we have only conceded 11 in 9 games since he has been absent, as opposed 2 per game when he was playing.

He is a funny one.  Defends with so much heart, got pace, etc…but I think most of us have spotted weaknesses in the leadership / communication side of his game.  I’m loathe to criticise him because he’s laid it on the line for City and at times has almost single-handedly saved us from some pumpings (along with Bents).  I don’t know if he’s the issue or not.  Perhaps if he’d been RCB3 with Klose and Atkinson we’d be even better over these recent games. I certainly get the impression Nige rates him.

What I do know is that if we could get £3-5m for him this summer it would solve a lot of FFP probs.  But also getting him to extend for another 2/3 years on reduced wages would certainly help FFP too!!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

I agree. I actually think he's a weak link in this squad...not just on the pitch but off it as well.

Not his fault...The club bought him and payed him the wages he's on.

However...imo, his performances don't justify the wages he's on. Again not his fault the club gave him the contract.

It just doesn't send the right message to the rest of the majority of the squad.

On field...I don't think he's as good consistently as made out. Yes he's commited...but it's often commitment rectifying positioning. Throwing himself last ditch. Reading of crosses at set pieces...not great imo. And communication poor. 

Baker and Klose look much more assured and better readers of the game. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He is a funny one.  Defends with so much heart, got pace, etc…but I think most of us have spotted weaknesses in the leadership / communication side of his game.  I’m loathe to criticise him because he’s laid it on the line for City and at times has almost single-handedly saved us from some pumpings (along with Bents).  I don’t know if he’s the issue or not.  Perhaps if he’d been RCB3 with Klose and Atkinson we’d be even better over these recent games. I certainly get the impression Nige rates him.

What I do know is that if we could get £3-5m for him this summer it would solve a lot of FFP probs.  But also getting him to extend for another 2/3 years on reduced wages would certainly help FFP too!!!

Always difficult to analyse properly, depending on each situation but I prefer my defenders to stand on their feet, face up to the ball rather than throwing themselves around in front of the ball (I noticed him doing it in the Euros as well). Is it desperate defending or poor original positioning ? Since his absence we don't seem as vulnerable to conceding from crosses, again positioning ?

Agree with your last paragraph.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, spudski said:

I agree. I actually think he's a weak link in this squad...not just on the pitch but off it as well.

Not his fault...The club bought him and payed him the wages he's on.

However...imo, his performances don't justify the wages he's on. Again not his fault the club gave him the contract.

It just doesn't send the right message to the rest of the majority of the squad.

On field...I don't think he's as good consistently as made out. Yes he's commited...but it's often commitment rectifying positioning. Throwing himself last ditch. Reading of crosses at set pieces...not great imo. And communication poor. 

Baker and Klose look much more assured and better readers of the game. 

ha ha just said the same in reply to Davefevs.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

ha ha just said the same in reply to Davefevs.

In reply, to your reply to Dave ?? Ive watched him trying to answer the same question, and my conclusion was that he doesn't read the game particularly well.

I've used this phrase many times before...but he's reactionary, rather than pro active. Hence last ditch actions. 

Players who read the game well give themselves time. 

No deny his commitment....however he needs better players around him to cover his weakness. Baker was/is a good reader of the game.

• Like 2