IGNORED

What has Pring done wrong?

Whilst I can clearly see why Vyner and Bakinson got on the naughty step I am really struggling to understand why Pring is out of favour. During our worst form he was one of the few giving 100% where ever he was played and showed fight in the tackle and confidence to run with the ball.

I hope he is still here next year.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Whilst I can clearly see why Vyner and Bakinson got on the naughty step I am really struggling to understand why Pring is out of favour. During our worst form he was one of the few giving 100% where ever he was played and showed fight in the tackle and confidence to run with the ball.

As far as I can gather, he is still paying the penalty for his last minute error away to Preston.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Pearson said Idehen is ahead of him at the moment. Presumably performing better in training which seems fair enough.

• Like 2

NP has just chosen the best of the two. Pring hasn't done anything "wrong" to be dropped. There's is just better now. 

It's strange but this is the sorta of stuff a turning point looks like, it's good. We got too used to having to play players like Vyner or Simpson because there was no better. 

• Like 5

Think since the Swansea game when he was poor & Vyner ran out of chances, he’s only started 3 times & had been taken off early in 2 of those (Forest & Bournemouth).

I’m not convinced Pearson is sure that as he’ll be 25 next season, he’s going to be good enough to consistently play at this level.

The summer will be interesting to see what happens, he could stay & start next season as Dasilva’s understudy or he could move on to League One.

I like his effort, although he appears to be the anti Vyner in that he never gets criticised whereas Zak constantly does, truth is though he’s lost his man several times leading to us conceding goals.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Think since the Swansea game when he was poor & Vyner ran out of chances, he’s only started 3 times & had been taken off early in 2 of those (Forest & Bournemouth).

I’m not convinced Pearson is sure that as he’ll be 25 next season, he’s going to be good enough to consistently play at this level.

The summer will be interesting to see what happens, he could stay & start next season as Dasilva’s understudy or he could move on to League One.

I like his effort, although he appears to be the anti Vyner in that he never gets criticised whereas Zak constantly does, truth is though he’s lost his man several times leading to us conceding goals.

yes but so have others…?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

True but I would also add that not only his effort is likeable but he's impacted games in a much more positive way than Zak. I remember him driving forward and starting off attacks which was benefitting us. I'm sorry to say Vyner just isn't Championship standard just like we've established with Moore. 

I think its a simple case that Nigel prefers Idehen currently which takes up that bench spot. 

I see little in it….long, hard, first season, catching up with him a bit.  Nige has said he’s had a good season.  Benarous staying in the 18 is just Nige trying to be as true to his selection “rules” as possible.

Now for a big pre-season to really build him for the demands of Championship football.

• Like 3

Let’s say we keep Cundy and Klose. Sell Kalas, Vyner, Moore. That would give us:

RB: Tanner

CB: Klose, Atkinson, Cundy, Idehen

LB: DaSilva, Pring

Plus youth players still to come through. It’s pretty well documented we’re after an RB and another CB. That would be a fairly sensible squad numbers and talent wise. As for Pring, as others said, number of factors and in reality he’ll come back around. 

• Like 3

I’ve been impressed by Pring this season. That late Preston equaliser can’t just be blamed on him. He was doing the right thing in driving forward and admittedly should have released the ball quicker - but it looked like a foul and there were enough City players behind the ball to have dealt with the counter attack. 

54 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I see little in it….long, hard, first season, catching up with him a bit.  Nige has said he’s had a good season.  Benarous staying in the 18 is just Nige trying to be as true to his selection “rules” as possible.

Now for a big pre-season to really build him for the demands of Championship football.

Agree with this. Pre-season is going it be important for him. Quite often this season he hasn’t looked like he’s got the 90 mins in him yet. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Pearson said in a recent interview he’s done nothing wrong & has had a good breakthrough season. No conspiracy here. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Super said:

He's just not as good as JD. Good squad player to have.

To be slightly provocative given they're roughly the same age, and Pring has considerably less experience... is that a good squad player?

If they think he has a higher potential than Jay he should probably have been playing, otherwise I think it'd be better to have a younger understudy (18 - 21) and more versatile older player to be your squad options.

Pearson has also mentioned thoughts of turning Jay into a midfielder, he certainly has the technical ability in my opinion. Maybe that's the longer term plan, with Pring staying where he is.

I guess one other reason to keep him is that his wages will be comparatively low, but I think we're getting past the days of hanging on to players just in case.

As I said though, just playing devils advocate - I broadly like what I've seen of Pring.

5 hours ago, RobArnold10 said:

Let’s say we keep Cundy and Klose. Sell Kalas, Vyner, Moore. That would give us:

RB: Tanner

CB: Klose, Atkinson, Cundy, Idehen

LB: DaSilva, Pring

Plus youth players still to come through. It’s pretty well documented we’re after an RB and another CB. That would be a fairly sensible squad numbers and talent wise. As for Pring, as others said, number of factors and in reality he’ll come back around. 

Would do this save on kallas wages havent missed him these lads at back getting better and stronger .

I think there's a real player in Pring (and I think Nigel does too) but he simply has to get fitter and more durable IMO.

The season definitely caught up with him and the more tired you are the worse your decision making gets. We absolutely saw this with him at times.

Career-defining summer coming up for him.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I don’t necessarily disagree with your point about Pring giving goals away, but since when has he ever been a CB? Never. 

Pring played his best football for us IMO when deployed on the left wing, enabling him to swing in quality crosses from deep.

Vyner, on the other hand, is a defender. It’s his job to defend, and he’s crap at it IMO. 

• Like 3