IGNORED

Next Seasons CB’s

redpole

So with City planning next seasons defensive who can you see staying and going from the latest crop?

Zak Vyner, Thomas Kalas, Nathan Baker, Timm Klose, Rob Atkinson, Duncan Idehen, Rob Cundy, Ryley Towler and Taylor Moore. 

I can see 5 of the 9 going with another 23/24 year old league one defender coming in. 

I would keep Klose, Atkinson, Idehen, Towler and new CB.

I can’t see Vyner getting much game time. Taylor Moore will almost certainly leave AG and it’d looking unlikely that we’ll see Baker again due to his injuries.

Hopefully Klose will sign - he’s been immense. Atkinson, Idehen, Cundy and probably Kalas will the CB next season. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I can’t see Vyner getting much game time. Taylor Moore will almost certainly leave AG and it’d looking unlikely that we’ll see Baker again due to his injuries.

Hopefully Klose will sign - he’s been immense. Atkinson, Idehen, Cundy and probably Kalas will the CB next season. 

Speculation. 

• Haha 7

34 minutes ago, redpole said:

So with City planning next seasons defensive who can you see staying and going from the latest crop?

Zak Vyner, Thomas Kalas, Nathan Baker, Timm Klose, Rob Atkinson, Duncan Idehen, Rob Cundy, Ryley Towler and Taylor Moore. 

I can see 5 of the 9 going with another 23/24 year old league one defender coming in. 

So if Klose gets injured we are left playing with 2 (or 3 depending on our formation) inexperienced centre backs.

I doubt Nigel would want that. Nor do I think it is a given that Kalas will leave, though most people seem to be assuming that. If he did go we would need to sign an experienced replacement.

Cundy has reportedly been offered a contract in any event.

Edited by chinapig
  • Like 1

Baker will retire

Klose hopefully will sign new deal

Moore & Vyner will leave

Kalas will be offered a longer deal on reduced terms, imagine if he isn't interested the club will look to offload

Atkinson first choice and I would look to sign one new centre back (Moore from Oxford?)

Cundy as back up and Idehen behind him, possibly a loan move if we have enough cover. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

Thought Towler’s performance today was mature, confident and classy. If he can maintain that level, more than worthy of a squad place for 2022/23.

Our centre backs ain’t the problem we’ve loads of them, I’m more concerned about the wingbacks personally.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, redpole said:

Loan out Towler keep cundy he will get fitter and better .

• Like 3

For me, to go:

vyner, moore sale of sorts, baker retirement, kalas to be sold unless he agrees to reduced wages on a new longer term deal

to stay:

klose, atkinson, idehen, cundy, Ostigard if kalas departs

towler to be loaned out for a full season of mens football if we bring in a new cb

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RedRock said:

Thought Towler’s performance today was mature, confident and classy. If he can maintain that level, more than worthy of a squad place for 2022/23.

Our centre backs ain’t the problem we’ve loads of them, I’m more concerned about the wingbacks personally.

One thing having lots of them it's whether they are good enough.

10 hours ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Loan out Towler keep cundy he will get fitter and better .

From what I’ve seen of Towler he definitely needs regular first team football and he’s unlikely to get that City so a loan to a L1 club would be ideal - who knows being a local lad he could be loaned to the gas…..…….:cool2:

56 minutes ago, Robbored said:

From what I’ve seen of Towler he definitely needs regular first team football and he’s unlikely to get that City so a loan to a L1 club would be ideal - who knows being a local lad he could be loaned to the gas…..…….:cool2:

I would be happier loaning someone crap to the Gas. 
I fear that even our worst players are too good for them. 

• Hmmm 1

20 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I would be happier loaning someone crap to the Gas. 
I fear that even our worst players are too good for them. 

Under Barton they’ve become a very decent L2 team and it’s definitely possible that they’ll get automatic promotion and Towler being a Bristolian wouldn’t  have to leave home if he was loaned to the blue few.

It makes sense.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Under Barton they’ve become a very decent L2 team and it’s definitely possible that they’ll get automatic promotion and Towler being a Bristolian wouldn’t  have to leave home if he was loaned to the blue few.

It makes sense.

Your blue sympathies seeping through

Never help them in any way 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It makes sense.

He was sent to Grimsby for a reason.  Didn't want it to be all comfy for him.

Loan to Carlisle or Barrow next season... 

• Robin 1

15 hours ago, redpole said:

I would keep your picks but add Cundy

14 hours ago, !james said:

Baker will retire

Klose hopefully will sign new deal

Moore & Vyner will leave

Kalas will be offered a longer deal on reduced terms, imagine if he isn't interested the club will look to offload

Atkinson first choice and I would look to sign one new centre back (Moore from Oxford?)

Cundy as back up and Idehen behind him, possibly a loan move if we have enough cover. 

Atkinson came from Oxford didn't he, did he play with the Moore you mention? If so could be a ready-made pairing which would help

22 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It makes sense.

Would we really want to subject the lad to that ?

I don’t think you’ve really thought this through Robbored. 

• Hmmm 1

18 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Your blue sympathies seeping through

Never help them in any way 

I don’t do all that “we hate the gas” anymore. When they were in the same league as us many years ago I used to share the sentiment but not now. 

I actually know several gasheads in my social circle and one of them is pissed right off as he’s on holiday when they play on Saturday…….…….:rofl2br:he hasn’t missed a home game all season. I was taking the piss out of him yesterday.. tbf he took it well!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Would we really want to subject the lad to that ?

I don’t think you’ve really thought this through Robbored. 

If it happened then we’d be lending them a player not quite ready for Championship football and they’d be giving him much needed game time.

A win win situation.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

I'd be reluctant to loan young players to the Fewers, if they don't do well or make an individual mistake in a game, they'll get pelters from the terraces that is unlikely to do their confidence or mental health much good.

Reid and Bryan both benefitted from loans to Plymouth.

• Like 2

I think Towler is near-ready for the Championship in his favoured position. A strong pre-season and he could be in contention for the first team squad. 

No way should we even consider helping The Sags after what the parasites did in ‘82 and in later years to Bristol Rugby.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

Although I realise Robbored is trolling (as always), I don’t go with the argument that giving Towler a loan away from home would be more demanding on him. In fact, the most demanding loan he could have would be Rovers.

In the fanciful event we loan anyone to them, that player immediately starts in debit with the fan base. Happened with Matthews. Happened with Akinde. Ryley (or anyone) has to deal with the fact his new club will be borderline hostile to him, and perform in spite of that. It’s likely to improve his mental toughness.

Ultimately Rovers are a lower division local club who don’t compete with us - like Cheltenham, FGR or Exeter, just lower and less relevant in the pyramid. If we can use such a minnow to our benefit, I wouldn’t object, and as Pearson and Barton are friends (I believe) it’s a lot more likely to happen than at any other recent point.

11 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I'd be reluctant to loan young players to the Fewers, if they don't do well or make an individual mistake in a game, they'll get pelters from the terraces that is unlikely to do their confidence or mental health much good.

Reid and Bryan both benefitted from loans to Plymouth.

Far point but if the opposite happened and he impressed the blue few would wonder why he can’t get a start at City.

22 minutes ago, RedRock said:

I think Towler is near-ready for the Championship in his favoured position. A strong pre-season and he could be in contention for the first team squad. 

No way should we even consider helping The Sags after what the parasites did in ‘82 and in later years to Bristol Rugby.

From what I saw I really don't think he is. Needs another season loan imo, possibly to a L1-2 team. 

Decent going forward but players absolutely got the best of him in defence. But if next season starts and he hasn't been loaned out, I trust NP that he thinks he's ready for the champ. 

Can see Idehen competing at LB in a similar way to when Lloyd Kelly was here. Long term a CB but LB a good way to get more minutes earlier. 

Towler agree needs another loan. Wouldn’t mind conference again really. Just needs to play the position a lot. 

Atkinson and Cundy could end up being the starting pairing the majority of the season if Klose doesn’t get fresh terms and Kalas moves on. Don’t think it would be a disaster but risky. Another signing like Klose would be needed in that scenario most likely. Would be interesting to watch them grow. Already feels like Cundy is getting to the level and Atkinson looks much more confident lately. 

I know nobody really likes him but I don’t see the point in getting rid of Vyner. Chances are wouldn't get much fee. He won’t be on much money here and he can cover multiple positions if needed. Let his contract run out and move on then. Like him more than Moore.