IGNORED

Real Madrid vs Man City

Fordy62

Just now, AshtonGreat said:

I'd be more worried about the fact that they conceded six over two legs

They Didn’t have either fullback for 1 game and a dodgy one for the second, and the way they play they are important players for them

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Rob k said:

All it does will mean Man City will get stronger next season, they should have scored 10 goals in the 2 legs, Pep will be in front of the board today saying - ‘told you we should have bust our balls for Kane’

I dunno if having Kane would've helped. Man City's style of play doesn't need an out and out striker. Kane would completely change the way they play, possibly to their detriment.

Everyone said Lukaka would be a success at Chelsea as he was "the missing piece of the jigsaw" and look how that's turned out. 

5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I dunno if having Kane would've helped. Man City's style of play doesn't need an out and out striker. Kane would completely change the way they play, possibly to their detriment.

Everyone said Lukaka would be a success at Chelsea as he was "the missing piece of the jigsaw" and look how that's turned out. 

Yeah it Possibly could have failed, Pep wanted him though so say and they didn’t get him, if they had been a little more clinical in the first leg especially they were already through. Man City not being in the final only have themselves to blame.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Erm you still have to be lucky enough to be able to shell out £100m for a bit part player in the first place. You're not seriously trying to form an argument that Man City "haven't spent that much" are you? 

He has the highest wage bill in the Prem and has spent over £1bn. 

So, yes, he has spent an absolute fortune. And not delivered a CL trophy in six years. 

I read your original post as being about this season (when you said ‘yet again’) so I was purely commenting on figures relating to this season - apologies

4 hours ago, elhombrecito said:

Yes. Almost a billion pounds since he joined them. If that's not an 'absolute fortune' to you, then God knows what is.

I was purely talking about this season in response to a post that appeared to be about this season - so the figures I quoted were just for this season and show a net spend of around £30m - apologies for any misunderstanding 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

I think that must rule out Guardiola for the City job when Pearson leaves us!

Adding to my previous post.

At least it proves that it doesn't matter how much they are paid or how big their transfer fees were, all teams in the world are capable of unforeseen collapses in the last few minutes of matches. We are all members of the human race who are all fallible.

5 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Pep Guardiola a poor mans Danny Wilson ,he has one job win the Champions league, despite unlimited resources hailed as a tactical genius  he has failed to deliver .

Fair point, He ballsed up the tactics in last years final, and got it wrong last night. He needed a striker to replace Aguero, and instead spunked 100M on another attacking MF / Forward, when he already had Foden/Mahrez/Sterling. He has a lot of questions to answer

The problem was not hard to spot.Despite all the so-called sophistication of modern football,when in a desperate last-grasp situation,you revert to 1950's 60's 70's etc etc football,you pump the ball in the box at every available opportunity (Ask any league 1 league 2 manager.)That what real did,up to the moment they scored they had not had a shot on goal! Contrast that with what man ciy did! Trying to walk the ball into the net.Stirling was particularly guilty of that,always trying to beat yet another man and then losing the ball in the process.After conceding those 2goals i thought i was watching our lot!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, johnbytheriver said:

The problem was not hard to spot.Despite all the so-called sophistication of modern football,when in a desperate last-grasp situation,you revert to 1950's 60's 70's etc etc football,you pump the ball in the box at every available opportunity (Ask any league 1 league 2 manager.)That what real did,up to the moment they scored they had not had a shot on goal! Contrast that with what man ciy did! Trying to walk the ball into the net.Stirling was particularly guilty of that,always trying to beat yet another man and then losing the ball in the process.After conceding those 2goals i thought i was watching our lot!

Really? I thought part of City's problem in the last 10 minutes was they suddenly started pumping the ball long and went against everything they stand for. They couldn't have looked less threatening during the second half of extra time.

Their heads went completely and collectively - from manager through to players.

• Like 2

Funny how a lot of the analysis today has been about how Man City should have been a bit more ‘clever’ in the closing minutes of normal time. Be more ‘professional’. Ie, waste time, roll about, draw free kicks etc. 

The pundits today are saying how “they” are experts at it.  “They” being Madrid and their players. And that the English teams just don’t do this side of the game well. That they should have closed it out, just like Madrid did. 

All these pundits seem to blatantly ignore the fact that Man City are managed by a Spaniard and had 3 Brazilians, 3 Portuguese and 2 Spaniards on the pitch. ?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Harry said:

Funny how a lot of the analysis today has been about how Man City should have been a bit more ‘clever’ in the closing minutes of normal time. Be more ‘professional’. Ie, waste time, roll about, draw free kicks etc. 

The pundits today are saying how “they” are experts at it.  “They” being Madrid and their players. And that the English teams just don’t do this side of the game well. That they should have closed it out, just like Madrid did. 

All these pundits seem to blatantly ignore the fact that Man City are managed by a Spaniard and had 3 Brazilians, 3 Portuguese and 2 Spaniards on the pitch. ?

Cheating and gamesmanship and diving and all that continental carry on and what-have-you only entered the honest English game of Association football upon the arrival of the two Argy-bargies at Tottenham Hotspurs in 1978, Ossie Ardiles and the other one, and they then spread this foreign import around our honourable game like Dutch elm disease and Ash dieback.   

Never 'appened before these Johnny Foreigners turnt up .... 

2 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Fair point, He ballsed up the tactics in last years final, and got it wrong last night. He needed a striker to replace Aguero, and instead spunked 100M on another attacking MF / Forward, when he already had Foden/Mahrez/Sterling. He has a lot of questions to answer

Did he get it wrong last night though? Man City were cruising with two minutes to go and were only really beaten by a couple of late freak goals and a dodgy penalty. If he got it wrong, it was in his failure to get his players to play keep-ball at the end instead of attacking. But to be fair, Madrid had offered virtually nothing until that crazy burst at the end.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Did he get it wrong last night though? Man City were cruising with two minutes to go and were only really beaten by a couple of late freak goals and a dodgy penalty. If he got it wrong, it was in his failure to get his players to play keep-ball at the end instead of attacking. But to be fair, Madrid had offered virtually nothing until that crazy burst at the end.

Personally i think taking KDB off was a mistake

25 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

You might like this thread I saw this morning:

sums up quite nicely how results influence the narrative.  In low scoring sports this can happen.  I didn’t watch the game so can’t comment on that, but I can certainly identify with the thread.

4 hours ago, The Journalist said:

Really? I thought part of City's problem in the last 10 minutes was they suddenly started pumping the ball long and went against everything they stand for. They couldn't have looked less threatening during the second half of extra time.

Their heads went completely and collectively - from manager through to players.

Oh really!! No! o'reilley Top of the morning to you!