IGNORED

XTC. One Saturday afternoon, summer 1979...

AppyDAZE

I'm 17 and I heard a song on Radio One by a band I was only vaguely aware of and something had told me they were sort of local.

The song was Outside World and I thought it sounded amazing. (Thinking that the show was Alan Freeman's, but I can't swear to it)

The next chance I got, money permitting, I bought the album that the track was taken from (it included a freebie 7" single)

The album Drums and Wires was a clever album. It had all the lyrics to the two previous albums printed on an inner pullout.

So, off I trot to buy the first two albums as well (money permitting again, I'm out of school, but still signing on)

The band is of course XTC and so ensued a life-long obsession and love for EVERYTHING the band did.

I never missed one single release by them ever since.

Saw them live, 1980 at the Studios, saw Dave Gregory once in a Swindon park, but bottled it and didn't have the courage to talk to him because I was starstruck. (He was walking a dog, I seem to remember and I regret that to this day. Not him walking a dog, me being too nervous to tell him he played in the best band of all time, this was 1994 ish)

So now I'm on just on a bit of a phase/reappraisal of their incredible output (Steven Wilson remixes blu-ray versions included)

Would be interested to hear from anyone else who is an XTC maniac  :laugh: like me.

In my humble opinion, they never put a single foot wrong.

I love a lot of bands and a lot of music, but there are times when i think that XTC is  THE best.

So many memories, they were the entire sountrack to my life up until the year 2000 when they pretty much disbanded.

XTC is the reason why I have a soft spot for Swindon. No not the football team because rivalry is rivalry.

But Swindon has something to be very proud of, because it produced one the most unique and talented British artists in the whole history of rock and pop music.

XTC memories, fav tracks, plaudits etc please

Currently have The Steven Wilson remixes of The Dukes Of Stratosphear albums  playing in my lugholes, day in day out.

Marvellous.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 7

• The title was changed to XTC. One Saturday afternoon, summer 1979...
6 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

I'm 17 and I heard a song on Radio One by a band I was only vaguely aware of and something had told me they were sort of local.

The song was Outside World and I thought it sounded amazing. (Thinking that the show was Alan Freeman's, but I can't swear to it)

The next chance I got, money permitting, I bought the album that the track was taken from (it included a freebie 7" single)

The album Drums and Wires was a clever album. It had all the lyrics to the two previous albums printed on an inner pullout.

So, off I trot to buy the first two albums as well (money permitting again, I'm out of school, but still signing on)

The band is of course XTC and so ensued a life-long obsession and love for EVERYTHING the band did.

Saw them live, 1980 at the Studios, saw Dave Gregory once in a Swindon park, but bottled it and didn't have the courage to talk to him because I was starstruck. (He was walking a dog, I seem to remember and I regret that to this day. Not him walking a dog, me being too nervous to tell him he played in the best band of all time, this was 1994 ish)

So now I'm on just on a bit of a phase/reappraisal of their incredible output (Steven Wilson remixes blu-ray versions included)

Would be interested to hear from anyone else who is an XTC maniac  :laugh: like me.

I love a lot of bands and a lot of music, but there are times when i think that XTC is  THE best.

So many memories, they were the entire sountrack to my life up until the year 2000 when they pretty much disbanded.

XTC is the reason why I have a soft spot for Swindon. No not the football team because rivalry is rivalry.

But Swindon has something to be very proud of, because it produced one the most unique and talented British artists in the whole history of rock and pop music.

Currently have The Steven Wilson remixes of The Dukes Of Stratosphear albums  playing in my lugholes, day in day out.

Marvellous.

They were good but not exceptionally good.

XTC was one of the smartest – and catchiest – British pop bands to emerge from the punk and new wave explosion of the late '70s. ... While popular success has eluded them in both Britain and America, the group has developed a devoted cult following in both countries that remains loyal over two decades after their first records. ... XTC's lack of commercial success isn't because their music isn't accessible – their bright, occasionally melancholy, melodies flow with more grace than most bands – it has more to do with the group constantly being out of step with the times. However, the band has left behind a remarkably rich and varied series of albums that make a convincing argument that XTC is the great lost pop band.[1]

• Like 1

I still kick myself for not buying the vinyl version of Nonsuch in Virgin, Broadmead as I had the CD version. Worth a lot now. 

The Steven Wilson 5.1 versions are great. Drums and Wires is still hitting your ears with that freshness I first heard at the Colston Hall on that tour. The balcony was closed so it wasn't a sell out. 

We went to see them at the Top Rank, Cardiff by train and had to leave half way through to catch the last train back. Turned out to be XTC's last ever gig in Blighty.

I collected every single release by them in whichever format until Wrapped in Grey was released and hastily withdrawn. Another pension fund missed!

I have quite a few memorabilia. My favourite is the clock I made out of an XTC cd. My mate's wife was best friends with Andy Partridge's then wife type connection!  Not only did Andy sign a new doodle a self portrait on a birthday card but he also signed the CD. Photo enclosed.

If only Andy could find the English Settlement Masters, have them baked and then get Steven Wilson to do his twiddle skills for a 5.1 release.

16519148982364945525356478750206.jpg

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, B1ackbird said:

First saw them on the Old Grey Whistle Test performing Statue of Liberty. Bought their first album on the strength of that...

Great band.

Obscene lyrics. Should have been fully banned. Think of the children 

Edited by miser
Spelling
  • Haha 2

The first time I remember hearing them was Science Friction on the radio which I thought was great and then saw them do This Is Pop on TOTP which blew me away.

If you get a chance to see the Sky Arts documentary on them, do. It`s one of the best ones I`ve ever seen and Andy doesn`t hold back on his difficult early life or his addiction problems which thankfully are behind him now. He is a very interesting and complex man.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Marvellous.

Not a maniac but did (and still do) love their music 

Edited by BigTone
  • Like 1

Best thing ever to come out of Swindon (apart from any train I have been on). Some people think Punk was an art school thing, others have deeply opposite views. XTC was the face of, arguably, New Wave that was more intelligent than was given credit in a time where talent was frowned upon. Their music was both contemporary and individual at the same time, and stands the test of time better than many of their peers.

• Like 3

Come to think about it, it was s long time ago but I'm not sure Dave Gregory was walking a dog, but it was 100 percent him,and I remember the park, it was Lydiard park or something like that. I was working there. I froze and bottled it :laugh:. Regrets I have s few, and that's one for sure.

Edited by AppyDAZE

I too saw them in 1980 at the Locarno (it didn't become the Studio until 1983, and no, I didn't have to google that!), having been to see The Jam on the same stage a few days earlier. What an amazing time to be fifteen.

Living Through Another Cuba was always a favourite of mine, thanks to its great bassline and desperate mania about the impending nuclear war. "If we get through this lot alright they're due for a replay in 1998..."

I vaguely recall there was a City fan on one of the forums years ago with the user name Colin Moulding. Would that have been you, @AppyDAZE?

5 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

I too saw them in 1980 at the Locarno (it didn't become the Studio until 1983, and no, I didn't have to google that!), having been to see The Jam on the same stage a few days earlier. What an amazing time to be fifteen.

Living Through Another Cuba was always a favourite of mine, thanks to its great bassline and desperate mania about the impending nuclear war. "If we get through this lot alright they're due for a replay in 1998..."

I vaguely recall there was a City fan on one of the forums years ago with the user name Colin Moulding. Would that have been you, @AppyDAZE?

No, not me. I've only ever been AD. Wasn't sure what the venue was called then, but I remember the gig well. Agree about Cuba. Excellent song and lyric. Colin's bass playing is always amazing. My favs from Black Sea, respectable street, rocket from a bottle. It's my fav to album though.

Edited by AppyDAZE

On 07/05/2022 at 20:46, City Rocker said:

Graham C might be the poster formerly known as Colin Moulding. 

He's certainly an XTC nut. 

They were my favourite band as a teenager.

I though agreed with Terry Chambers that their peak was English Settlement, a superb double album, and that it was all downhill from there.  He walked out during sessions for their next album; Mummer.

Their early albums White Music and Go2 were quirky but nothing special.

Drums and Wires was good, Black Sea excellent, and English Settlement off the scale brilliant.

As soon as XTC stopped touring, after Andy Partridge had his on stage breakdown in Paris in 1982 (on YouTube) they ceased to be a proper band in my estimation.  After that it was all about quirky songwriting and the occasional song that hit the mark.  Bands need to pay live to stay relevant.

There is a tour on at present playing their golden era hits with Terry Chambers on drums.

Sun 19 June 2022 PORTSMOUTH Wedgewood Rooms Tickets
Thu 7 July 2022 GUILDFORD The Boileroom Tickets
Fri 8 July 2022 WATFORD The Horns Tickets
Sun 10 July 2022 LONDON 100 Club Tickets

Thu 21 July 2022 TUNBRIDGE WELLS The Forum Tickets
Fri 22 July 2022 DISS The Corn Hall Tickets
Tue 26 July 2022 CAMBRIDGE Junction Tickets

Thu 28 July 2022 NUNEATON Queens Hall Tickets
Fri 29 July MANCHESTER Band on the Wall Tickets
Sun 7 August 2022 PURTON Festival on the Farm Tickets

https://www.extc.co.uk/tour/