IGNORED

Huddersfield Town away match day thread

5 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Our final game of the season takes us to West Yorkshire. In our last four games we have pounded the Potters, blunted the Blades, ravaged the Rams and tamed the Tigers, let’s hope we can round things off by terrorising the Terriers! We have not beaten any of the current top six this season so here’s our opportunity to change that.

They appointed Leeds United assistant Carlos Corberan as their new head coach on 23 July 2020. He had spent the previous three years with the Whites and coached the club's under-23s as well as being on Marcelo Bielsa's staff. He replaced Danny Cowley after the ex-Lincoln manager was sacked.

It's fair to say that expectations were not particularly high in West Yorkshire heading into the new season. The Terriers made a good start to life under Carlos Corberan last season but fell off badly and a 5-1 thumping by Fulham in their first home game of this season left many expecting the Spaniard to be replaced. However, they have been one of this season’s surprise teams. They secured a play-off place a couple of weeks ago when they beat Barnsley 2-1 a result which also relegated Barnsley.

Our head to head record - we have won 24, lost 27 and drawn 11. Here’s three minutes of misery for those who want some bad memories resurrected:

Ten of the last twelve meetings between us and them have featured three or more goals. They are in great form having won five and drawn one of their last six games!

At our place they won 3-2.

Prior to this game they were just three points better off than us.

The John Smith’s Stadium was one of the first modern-era stadiums to be built in England, and became Huddersfield Town’s home in 1994, when they moved from their previous stadium, Leeds Road. It is also home to Rugby League team, Huddersfield Giants.

The stadium is really unique looking with each stand semi-circular in shape rather than the traditional rectangular structure. The corners are not enclosed, but this hasn’t stopped the stadium winning numerous design awards. The stadium has also played host to international rugby fixtures and a number of concerts. Away fans visiting the John Smith’s Stadium are located behind the goal on one side of the Chadwick Lawrence (South) Stand.

Former Huddersfield Town owner Dean Hoyle is in discussions to buy back the club. Phil Hodgkinson, who Hoyle sold the club to in 2019, has stepped down as a director of the club to focus on his other business interests.

David Webb is the referee today. He was handed his first game as referee for the Bury v Brentford game in 2007, having previously worked for a charity that supports adults with learning difficulties and mental health problems.

Huddersfield banter

• Former Prime Minister Lord Harold Wilson was born and raised in Huddersfield and there’s a statue of him outside the train station.
  • The Sex Pistols performed their last ever UK gig in Huddersfield. The infamous punk band performed at Ivanhoe’s nightclub on Christmas Day 1977, before embarking on an ill-fated US tour which saw the group’s acrimonious collapse.
  • Rugby League was invented in Huddersfield in 1895 following a dispute over payments to players. The sport is still prominent in the town thanks to Huddersfield Giants who play their trade in the Super League.
  • The annual Huddersfield Contemporary Music Festival is the largest contemporary music festival in the world!
  • Huddersfield has the third highest number of listed buildings of any town in the UK, 3,000 in total.
  • Sir Patrick Stewart, best known for his roles in Star Trek and X-Men, grew up just around the corner in the little town of Mirfield. He remains loyal to his local roots and was the Vice Chancellor of Huddersfield University.
  • Huddersfield Town FC were the first English team to win three league titles in a row, winning the third of their titles in 1926.

Pubs

Our away support has been brilliant this season let’s hope the traveling Cider Army are rewarded today with a memorable away win. COYR! 

Thanks for all your excellent work this season. I thoroughly enjoy reading them. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1
6 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Our final game of the season takes us to West Yorkshire. In our last four games we have pounded the Potters, blunted the Blades, ravaged the Rams and tamed the Tigers, let’s hope we can round things off by terrorising the Terriers! We have not beaten any of the current top six this season so here’s our opportunity to change that.

They appointed Leeds United assistant Carlos Corberan as their new head coach on 23 July 2020. He had spent the previous three years with the Whites and coached the club's under-23s as well as being on Marcelo Bielsa's staff. He replaced Danny Cowley after the ex-Lincoln manager was sacked.

It's fair to say that expectations were not particularly high in West Yorkshire heading into the new season. The Terriers made a good start to life under Carlos Corberan last season but fell off badly and a 5-1 thumping by Fulham in their first home game of this season left many expecting the Spaniard to be replaced. However, they have been one of this season’s surprise teams. They secured a play-off place a couple of weeks ago when they beat Barnsley 2-1 a result which also relegated Barnsley.

Our head to head record - we have won 24, lost 27 and drawn 11. Here’s three minutes of misery for those who want some bad memories resurrected:

Ten of the last twelve meetings between us and them have featured three or more goals. They are in great form having won five and drawn one of their last six games!

At our place they won 3-2.

Prior to this game they were just three points better off than us.

The John Smith’s Stadium was one of the first modern-era stadiums to be built in England, and became Huddersfield Town’s home in 1994, when they moved from their previous stadium, Leeds Road. It is also home to Rugby League team, Huddersfield Giants.

The stadium is really unique looking with each stand semi-circular in shape rather than the traditional rectangular structure. The corners are not enclosed, but this hasn’t stopped the stadium winning numerous design awards. The stadium has also played host to international rugby fixtures and a number of concerts. Away fans visiting the John Smith’s Stadium are located behind the goal on one side of the Chadwick Lawrence (South) Stand.

Former Huddersfield Town owner Dean Hoyle is in discussions to buy back the club. Phil Hodgkinson, who Hoyle sold the club to in 2019, has stepped down as a director of the club to focus on his other business interests.

David Webb is the referee today. He was handed his first game as referee for the Bury v Brentford game in 2007, having previously worked for a charity that supports adults with learning difficulties and mental health problems.

Huddersfield banter

• Former Prime Minister Lord Harold Wilson was born and raised in Huddersfield and there’s a statue of him outside the train station.
  • The Sex Pistols performed their last ever UK gig in Huddersfield. The infamous punk band performed at Ivanhoe’s nightclub on Christmas Day 1977, before embarking on an ill-fated US tour which saw the group’s acrimonious collapse.
  • Rugby League was invented in Huddersfield in 1895 following a dispute over payments to players. The sport is still prominent in the town thanks to Huddersfield Giants who play their trade in the Super League.
  • The annual Huddersfield Contemporary Music Festival is the largest contemporary music festival in the world!
  • Huddersfield has the third highest number of listed buildings of any town in the UK, 3,000 in total.
  • Sir Patrick Stewart, best known for his roles in Star Trek and X-Men, grew up just around the corner in the little town of Mirfield. He remains loyal to his local roots and was the Vice Chancellor of Huddersfield University.
  • Huddersfield Town FC were the first English team to win three league titles in a row, winning the third of their titles in 1926.

Pubs

Our away support has been brilliant this season let’s hope the traveling Cider Army are rewarded today with a memorable away win. COYR! 

Great job Jersey bean. You put all the information available in one concise post. Lets hope for an away win today

• Like 2

It might just be me, but it feels the season finished last week. Ideal sign off, whatever happens today we don’t shift position and it feels as if any decisions on players have already been made. Difficult to get “up” for this one.

However, at 12:30 I expect to be swearing at the radio.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

It might just be me, but it feels the season finished last week. Ideal sign off, whatever happens today we don’t shift position and it feels as if any decisions on players have already been made. Difficult to get “up” for this one.

However, at 12:30  12:33 I expect to be swearing at the radio.

Edited for accuracy.

47 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

12:30, thanks for the reminder 

• Like 1

Is it just me who will be glad to see the back of this season?

I think it’s fair to say we have underperformed this season. A great performance last week gave me some optimism for next season and something to cling to over the close season. I just hope this isn’t destroyed this afternoon.

So, I’ll settle for a draw. COYR.

• Confused 1
1 hour ago, billywedlock said:

Thanks @Jerseybeanfor all of your hard work in creating the match threads. As others have said, much appreciated. enjoy your "off season" . See you at the end of July. 

Whatttttt!

I expect similar post for pre-season training camps, friendlies, etc.  no resting up @Jerseybean, you’ve set the bar now!

Thanks for putting the time and effort in this season. ??????

• Like 4
36 minutes ago, HitchinRed said:

Is it just me who will be glad to see the back of this season?

I think it’s fair to say we have underperformed this season. A great performance last week gave me some optimism for next season and something to cling to over the close season. I just hope this isn’t destroyed this afternoon.

So, I’ll settle for a draw. COYR.

It has been poor but if offered 21 points clear of relegation I would have taken it. I know there’s more to it than that but last 5 or so games have been encouraging so room for a little optimism - just a little mind, this is a OTIB forum ?  

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

It has been poor but if offered 21 points clear of relegation I would have taken it. I know there’s more to it than that but last 5 or so games have been encouraging so room for a little optimism - just a little mind, this is a OTIB forum ?  

Agree - certainly not the worst season. Since we were promoted to the Championship in 2015, in terms of points total, we’ve had 3 worse seasons and 3 better seasons. Probably sums some this season - some good things, some poor things - middling. Score plenty of goals though so there’s a positive. To be honest, I wish the season still had more to run as feels like we have finally clicked. I have more concern about the break and whether we will lose players/the current momentum. 

Edited by eardun
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Blige good job I read your post I would have been very disappointed to tune in at 3pm. 

1 minute ago, Jerseybean said:

I have a more positive vibe, NP said this week that HNM knows he won’t be picked if he doesn’t commit, so just maybe this means he’s decided to sign and new contract.

He brought his youth team over from France last week for a tour round and tickets for the Hull match. Seemed a very positive thing to do if he wasn't staying?

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1