IGNORED

Huddersfield Town away match day thread

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Did a quick number crunch earlier.

1 awarded/won in 82 League games is quite some going...last home League penalty awarded 31st October 2020 v Norwich- the stats go on...think there was some incredible stat about the lowest across the top 31 divisions in Europe back in January over several years and it'll only have got worse since then probably.

and we missed that ****** too....

So all those happy clappers who creamed themselves after we beat Hull last week.........may now see just how far we need to improve to get anywhere near the top six?  Pearsons transactions during the summer are absolutely vital if we are to make any kind of progress in Season  2022/23? ...........i back him fully, but it is imperative that we start next season on the front foot, or come December, he might  be looking forward to his retirement?    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
7 minutes ago, maxjak said:

So all those happy clappers who creamed themselves after we beat Hull last week.........may now see just how far we need to improve to get anywhere near the top six?  Pearsons transactions during the summer are absolutely vital if we are to make any kind of progress in Season  2022/23? ...........i back him fully, but it is imperative that we start next season on the front foot, or come December, he might  be looking forward to his retirement?    

We won’t be finishing too 6 next season. Previous financial strategy from the top has seen to that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
44 minutes ago, Red_Alligator said:

Fifty five points and 17th it is then. Not bad, all told.

Here's to next season and further improvement.

Take care my fellow Reds, and safe journey home for those bold travellers today.

Oh - and cheers Nige!

I love the quote that we have managed to cement 17th place..........as if it is some kind of great achievement?    I echo your sentiments about....here's to next season, but we have a long way to go. Here's to Pearson and his efforts in the close season to create a side with identity, commitment and consistency?

• Like 1

I couldn’t face listening to Radio Bristol so I watched Torquay v Chesterfield. Torquay won 2-0, the sun was shining, Gary Johnson looked very smart in suit and tie and the crowd was singing “Johnson says bounce around the ground”. What more could you ask for 

• Like 4
20 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

Oh well the forum should see some posters tonight who have had a fee weeks off. 

Yes it is all a bit sad Sport! 

Today our final pass/cross/finish was way off. and some of the passing errors in possession were reminiscent of beach football. However we have been way worse, which is says a lot about us.

My personal opinion is that we have made massive progress with our home grown players and the future is bright, but supporters need to be patient as we we bring them through. The model has changed as the money was spent under previous administrations, but austerity is no different anywhere else!

• Like 1

Further improvement, further improvement too of the baseline performance level (Underlying numbers vs results) if possible, less injuries in key areas- a fully fit Tanner and Williams for longer would make a difference IMO

Not expecting top 6 definitely not but we don't have the home hoodoo hanging over us- that will help, home form much improved from Barnsley at home onwards. 

The younger players will gain experience and knowledge from their game-time this season- if we can hold on to all those we want to that's a positive.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Harry said:

Personally thought James and Atkinson were both poor. 
We had lots of possession across the back and across deeper midfield because Hudds had no interest in pressing us. 

But hey ho. Season done. We managed to avoid relegation with possibly one of the poorest teams we’ve ever really had to put out. Got a bit better toward the back end of the season, thought the introduction of Cundy went well, Klose was decent, nice to see Semenyo have a good season. But we are incredibly poor in midfield and out wide (either full back, wing back or wing, however we wanna play). 
Midfield and wide players urgently needed. 

Still on my way back from the game.

Personally for me Atkinson was our MOM (admittedly a low bar), all about opinions of course; Klose and Cundy were also good. We just came up against a very good team that have won 6 and drawn 1 of their last 7.

Great to see Tanner back, and he put in some good tackles; and of course freed up Scott to go back in CM where he made a difference from an ineffectual Massengo.

Colville, and Sarr in particular were excellent at the back for them; as was Rusell in CM, really big strong players. Would love to be Sarr with us, but he will have much better offers of course.

What Huddersfield did well today, us tgat they didn't let us break on them really at any time. The only real break was when Martin robbed the ball second half, and Semenyeo ran offside by running to the left, rather than a through ball down the middle as a 2 v 1.

They were content to allow us to have the ball, safe in the knowledge that we are not a possession team; and don't really have the players to break down teams that way. The amount of times we were in their final third, but ended up going back to Bentley was absurd.

It left the WSM trying to work by themselves to create things. I saw all three of them constantly making diagonal runs that weren't picked out by the rest of the team. Semenyeo was also lax in some of his passing.

Great chance for James at the end, which would have been nice for a consolation.

Scott made a difference for me in the middle, at least he was on the front foot when he got possession, and nearly got through on a couple of occasions.

If I don't see the needless 360 degree turn from Massengo when he gets possession again I will be glad. I get that people like his enthusiasm and drive, but he has zero product, doesn't follow his player defensively; and is often a bystander. Over rated, but as I said above all about opinions.?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1
54 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

If I don't see the needless 360 degree turn from Massengo when he gets possession again I will be glad. I get that people like his enthusiasm and drive, but he has zero product, doesn't follow his player defensively; and is often a bystander. Over rated, but as I said above all about opinions.?

Me too. I’m not disappointed if he leaves. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Still on my way back from the game.

Personally for me Atkinson was our MOM (admittedly a low bar), all about opinions of course; Klose and Cundy were also good. We just came up against a very good team that have won 6 and drawn 1 of their last 7.

Great to see Tanner back, and he put in some good tackles; and of course freed up Scott to go back in CM where he made a difference from an ineffectual Massengo.

Colville, and Sarr in particular were excellent at the back for them; as was Rusell in CM, really big strong players. Would love to be Sarr with us, but he will have much better offers of course.

What Huddersfield did well today, us tgat they didn't let us break on them really at any time. The only real break was when Martin robbed the ball second half, and Semenyeo ran offside by running to the left, rather than a through ball down the middle as a 2 v 1.

They were content to allow us to have the ball, safe in the knowledge that we are not a possession team; and don't really have the players to break down teams that way. The amount of times we were in their final third, but ended up going back to Bentley was absurd.

It left the WSM trying to work by themselves to create things. I saw all three of them constantly making diagonal runs that weren't picked out by the rest of the team. Semenyeo was also lax in some of his passing.

Great chance for James at the end, which would have been nice for a consolation.

Scott made a difference for me in the middle, at least he was on the front foot when he got possession, and nearly got through on a couple of occasions.

Massengo is clearly a very talented player and will get better in a possession based team but he’s not the difference for US. Williams was a big miss today. Despite the opinions of a few on here our squad is limited in ability and we need players who produce in the middle rather than neat, tidy and energetic but hardly any end product. Of the players we can sell to raise funds he’s the standout one to release without losing that much overall to the team performance. Today was one of a number of illustrations of that. The kid will go on to have a very good career, I’m sure of that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

Thought Huddersfield were just a far superior team. We have decent foundations next season especially with the front 3.

Good to see Tanner back, we’ve missed him second half of the season. Scott is far more effective further up the pitch too. 

We are crying out for defensive midfielder who is comfortable on the ball though. James would be good alongside a ball winner but we need someone to break up attacks. I don’t think we are too bad as a defensive unit but attacks just seem to get through our midfield far too easy which leaves the defense vulnerable.

Frustrating season but had some good moments, hopefully recruitment is good in the summer. 

• Like 2