IGNORED

Bored already, immediate end of season thoughts!

Jerseybean

Thought I’d attempt an immediate end of season summary. I very much look forward to hearing from other posters on their synopsis of our 21/22 season.

NP has said ‘I will reflect on the season when it's over but we're making good progress in the case of individuals coming on and collectively as well we have a more visible identity and I think that's important for us.’ He also noted ‘this has been a crucial season for us and the changes we’ve made will be fundamental going forward.’

It’s difficult to know where to start, given it’s been a real mixed-bag of a season, so I’m going with a positives and negatives approach, although I acknowledge this leaves room for plenty of stuff to fall between these extremes.

Positives:

We end the season a Championship team. In many respects that’s down to there being a couple of very poor Championship teams this season, the significant points deduction imposed on Derby County and us managing to take points off those who were relegated (Barnsley = 3 points, Peterborough = 4 points and Derby = 6 points.)

Our goal scoring threat, only the top six teams scored more than our 62.

The emergence of some really good young talent.

Nigel Pearson IMO has made a positive impact overall, although I recognize this has not yet translated  into consistent performance or points. However, he has (1) Cut the squad drastically, in so doing reducing the wage bill and clearing out players that were deemed not for the future. (2) Provided opportunities to numerous youngsters, although there have been downsides to this overall it’s been successful and refreshing to see them gain experience and grow. (3) Spoken succinctly, honestly and straightforwardly, again something I find utterly refreshing, although I know his communication style isn’t to everyone’s tastes. (4) Had more time to carefully assess our strengths and weakness on and off the pitch and to decide what needs to change. (5) Added positively to the squad in a considered and modest way with the likes of Tanner, Atkinson and James. (6) Begun the long process of change on and off the pitch (7) Addressed the culture

We have the making of a decent team especially with the anticipation that the closed season will see more departures (both of more players not deemed good enough and potentially some of our greatest young assets) and hopefully some new signings required to strengthen the squad.

The vast majority of the fan-base have remained hugely supportive and positive. In fact considering some of our performances the fans have been outstandingly positive and loyal.

Negatives:

Our shocking inconsistency, highlighted by managing just one back-to-back win all season.

Our early season home form.

The number of goals conceded, only Reading and Posh leaked more than our 77.

The number of late goals we conceded. Last season late goals helped us with a total of 5 points salvaged in the final 15 minutes of games. This campaign goals conceded in the last 15 minutes cost us 7 points.

Losing Nathan Baker, George Tanner and Andy King to injury for a good chunk of the campaign.

Danny Simpson proving to be not good enough. He played 499 minutes for us in all: five starts, two substitute appearances, 18 times on the bench.

The most revealing and critical statistic is how many points adrift from the team finishing second we have been:

2021/22 = 33 points

2020/21 = 40 points

2019/20 = 20 points

2018/19 = 19 points

2017/18 = 23 points

2016/17 = 39 points

2015/16 = 37 points

• Like 5

Transfer market will be interesting. But going forwards the long term sustainability of the club must come first. If that means relegation then so be it, but there’s no way we could carry on throwing away money like we were. I think the objective next season needs to be avoid relegation again. And then, when we’re financially clear again, maybe next time we can back the right person… ideally because they’re a proven football manager.

• Like 1

Given our squad the season panned out pretty much as expected imo. Not inspiring and downright frustrating at times but we are seeing the fruits of crackpot financial strategy from a billionaire and the previous CEO that he backed to the hilt. My hope is for a ten point improvement next season. We certainly won’t morph into a play off side, that’s for sure.

• Like 1

Bit underwhelming for me as I thought we should be getting in the 60s in terms of points. That said, think the end of the season was encouraging. Didn’t end up too far from that 60 point mark either. And looking back we caused our own problems often. 

Summer is obviously vital. A month or so ago, I’d be all for selling up and giving us the ability to really let NP get his players. Now I think there is a chance we can keep the likes of Scott and Semenyo for another season. Sell/move on the likes of Palmer, Wells and COD. Sell Massengo and maybe one of Bentley, Kalas and Dasilva to bring in some money for ffp while getting a big salary off the books. This should get us to a level to add a few key players. 

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

Bit underwhelming for me as I thought we should be getting in the 60s in terms of points. That said, think the end of the season was encouraging. Didn’t end up too far from that 60 point mark either. And looking back we caused our own problems often. 

Summer is obviously vital. A month or so ago, I’d be all for selling up and giving us the ability to really let NP get his players. Now I think there is a chance we can keep the likes of Scott and Semenyo for another season. Sell/move on the likes of Palmer, Wells and COD. Sell Massengo and maybe one of Bentley, Kalas and Dasilva to bring in some money for ffp while getting a big salary off the books. This should get us to a level to add a few key players. 

I would sell Massengo if the right offer comes in all day long. Yes, he can play, no argument but he just isn’t a great fit for us imo.

• Hmmm 1

14 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I would sell Massengo if the right offer comes in all day long. Yes, he can play, no argument but he just isn’t a great fit for us imo.

Yes and add to it we need to recoup as much as we can to help ffp. Idk how good we’ll be next season but he seems more a complimentary piece to a good side at present. 

i believe that it is absolutely crucial that we recruit at least 2 quality midfield players........for me the lack of combative ball winners and their ability to pass consistently is a major failing.  James and  Williams are competent squad players, but alongside the excellent Scott, we need some more quality?   Whether that is possible to achieve within the confines of our budget,, i don't know, but i am certain that there are players out there who we can recruit, if our scouting  department pulls their weight, who are available, and good enough.   We have a good attack, which could probably do with one addition, and an improving defence, but i feel that our midfield is sub standard, and is in need of a major upgrade?   Maybe HNM's departure can provide the funds?   I love HNM, and wish him all the very best in his future career.............perhaps he can leave us with sufficient funds to overhaul our midfield as his parting gift?? 

• Like 5

My thoughts are, we get cut to to ribbons in midfield by good teams.  523 works against the poorer teams in the league, but we need at least 3 if not 4 in against the good teams.  That means a flat back 4 which means we need an out and out RB and a physically stronger LB than JD.

Presuming both Cundy and Klose sign and we keep Kalas I believe we’re ok at CB.

Midfield:  Assumimg HNM goes, we need at least 2, if not 3 new signings, all Championship proven.

Up front with WSM, Wells and Conway/ Bell as back up we should be okay for another year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

Given our squad the season panned out pretty much as expected imo. Not inspiring and downright frustrating at times but we are seeing the fruits of crackpot financial strategy from a billionaire and the previous CEO that he backed to the hilt. My hope is for a ten point improvement next season. We certainly won’t morph into a play off side, that’s for sure.

I know that’s a majority view on here. But I don’t think our team is half bad and I think with this current squad top 10 is possible. Maybe if we started the season again with the current team selection that may just be true. 

I believe NP has got the absolute best out of some players, which is great, but not the best out of the squad. If that makes sense? Maybe that’s all we could’ve asked for this season. 

On reflection the frustrating inconsistency was pretty much to be expected given the shambles Nige inherited - a  transitional season where City were always comfortably around mid table. Little chance of the pray offs or little chance of a relegation battle.

The silver lining for me is the introduction of several youngsters some whom made their debuts which is obviously a huge bonus and will be of benefit to both them and the club. However it’s debatable that had Nige not lost senior players thru injury whether those young guns would have got the opportunity - I suspect not.

Overall I’m content with this campaign and am really looking forward to next season.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Malago said:

My thoughts are, we get cut to to ribbons in midfield by good teams.  523 works against the poorer teams in the league, but we need at least 3 if not 4 in against the good teams.  That means a flat back 4 which means we need an out and out RB and a physically stronger LB than JD.

Presuming both Cundy and Klose sign and we keep Kalas I believe we’re ok at CB.

Midfield:  Assumimg HNM goes, we need at least 2, if not 3 new signings, all Championship proven.

Up front with WSM, Wells and Conway/ Bell as back up we should be okay for another year.

Who is this Weston-super-mare? I’m so confused?

I think we have some reasonable defenders in part, individually but as a unit- well only two sides have conceded more than us, likewise chances/shots conceded we're in the top 4.

Recent weeks have seen an undoubted improvement though, today notwithstanding- unsure how protected vs good sides the defence is in a 3-4-1-2/3-4-3 type shape.

2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

I'm with you...out of everybody that's 'wanted'...HNM would be my least upsetting. I don't think he's best suited to English football long term.

I can also see offers coming in for Weimann. It doesn't get spoken about much, but if the money was right...let him go...thinking long term over others.

3 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Thought I’d attempt an immediate end of season summary. I very much look forward to hearing from other posters on their synopsis of our 21/22 season.

NP has said ‘I will reflect on the season when it's over but we're making good progress in the case of individuals coming on and collectively as well we have a more visible identity and I think that's important for us.’ He also noted ‘this has been a crucial season for us and the changes we’ve made will be fundamental going forward.’

It’s difficult to know where to start, given it’s been a real mixed-bag of a season, so I’m going with a positives and negatives approach, although I acknowledge this leaves room for plenty of stuff to fall between these extremes.

Positives:

We end the season a Championship team. In many respects that’s down to there being a couple of very poor Championship teams this season, the significant points deduction imposed on Derby County and us managing to take points off those who were relegated (Barnsley = 3 points, Peterborough = 4 points and Derby = 6 points.)

Our goal scoring threat, only the top six teams scored more than our 62.

The emergence of some really good young talent.

Nigel Pearson IMO has made a positive impact overall, although I recognize this has not yet translated  into consistent performance or points. However, he has (1) Cut the squad drastically, in so doing reducing the wage bill and clearing out players that were deemed not for the future. (2) Provided opportunities to numerous youngsters, although there have been downsides to this overall it’s been successful and refreshing to see them gain experience and grow. (3) Spoken succinctly, honestly and straightforwardly, again something I find utterly refreshing, although I know his communication style isn’t to everyone’s tastes. (4) Had more time to carefully assess our strengths and weakness on and off the pitch and to decide what needs to change. (5) Added positively to the squad in a considered and modest way with the likes of Tanner, Atkinson and James. (6) Begun the long process of change on and off the pitch (7) Addressed the culture

We have the making of a decent team especially with the anticipation that the closed season will see more departures (both of more players not deemed good enough and potentially some of our greatest young assets) and hopefully some new signings required to strengthen the squad.

The vast majority of the fan-base have remained hugely supportive and positive. In fact considering some of our performances the fans have been outstandingly positive and loyal.

Negatives:

Our shocking inconsistency, highlighted by managing just one back-to-back win all season.

Our early season home form.

The number of goals conceded, only Reading and Posh leaked more than our 77.

The number of late goals we conceded. Last season late goals helped us with a total of 5 points salvaged in the final 15 minutes of games. This campaign goals conceded in the last 15 minutes cost us 7 points.

Losing Nathan Baker, George Tanner and Andy King to injury for a good chunk of the campaign.

Danny Simpson proving to be not good enough. He played 499 minutes for us in all: five starts, two substitute appearances, 18 times on the bench.

The most revealing and critical statistic is how many points adrift from the team finishing second we have been:

2021/22 = 33 points

2020/21 = 40 points

2019/20 = 20 points

2018/19 = 19 points

2017/18 = 23 points

2016/17 = 39 points

2015/16 = 37 points

I'm guess the last 15 minutes stat comes from points won and points lost ...... Because it feels like a  hell of a lot more. If we talk about points dropped from winning positions in the last 5 minutes, I would be shocked if it wasn't over 15 points. 

It’s been a weird season. Lots of horrible moments (like late goals conceded) and dreadful performances. On the plus side, there has been the emergence of the young players, Weimann’s goals and our stronger end to the season (today aside) that has helped the feeling that we are improving.

6 minutes ago, The turtle said:

I'm guess the last 15 minutes stat comes from points won and points lost ...... Because it feels like a  hell of a lot more. If we talk about points dropped from winning positions in the last 5 minutes, I would be shocked if it wasn't over 15 points. 

The half time table would have had us 7th on 66 points...we dived big time as the 2nd half went on.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

2 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I think you pretty close to the best close season  outcome.

Keeping Scott and Semenyou for at least another season is massive.

I think yes off offload the big contracts wells, Palmer and COD.

And I think we will sell Kala's, Bentley and Massengo.

But think Dasilva wil be retained.

Now if that frees up some transfer money brill or maybe the money needed to cure our potential FFP problem.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

Yes I understand that 

My last message I quoted the whole message. Where my response was to the seconed paragraph of that message only 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, tin said:

Back in August, I predicted we’d an 18th-placed finish so we’ve exceeded my expectations. 

With the earlier start than usual, it’s imperative we get the right players in the right positions in early. 

I predicted mid-table and that’s where we finished.

3 hours ago, An Outstanding Human said:

It's that old paradox again. Happy to see the back of this season but I also know I'm going to get bored without football 

It's only 3 weeks till the Nations league games start there is also the champions league final and the FA cup final to look forward to, so I hardly think you will get bored.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, tin said:

With the earlier start than usual, it’s imperative we get the right players in the right positions in early. 

Agreed but easier said than done.

People often cite the Cotts double season as how to do recruitment right- and it was. Difference of course is that there is so much more competition at this level, clubs with a equally large or larger income, recent PL history etc and yes bigger clubs- we were quite a big fish in summer 2014, whereas there is a lot more competition and complication with deals the higher the club goes.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1