IGNORED

FBC Pod

Davefevs

Spot on @maxjak and @daored. I’ve really enjoyed HNM while he’s been here - from that very first game at QPR and through all the ups and downs.

He’s got the ability and the personality to kick on big time in his career, but I don’t think it’s with us.

I’ve got no doubt he’s got very mixed feelings about leaving - we’ve given him a big step up and for a midfielder of his age at this level a lot of games and experience.

The fact that the City fans in the away end yesterday were chanting his name loud and clear when the players came over at the end, while the other players put him centre stage, would have choked up many players. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Surprised you wasted any energy on that clap trap . Ill informed dross that is discussed between self appointed city experts who do not have the decency to prepare for their broadcast by listening to or reading  reference material that is readily readily available .  Therefore end up talking total bo11ox and misinformation. 

Worst pod  cast by a country mile out of the many out there . Don’t waste your life on such rubbish . 

I sit near Neil, (he’s not on this one) so can hear his sensible views simply by chatting to him.

Life is far too short to listen to the rest, what would I learn? Ian makes a lot of stuff up? Dave P started the season saying Weimann was “almost stealing a living” “just runs around”? Always says “I’m backing Nige” then slags him off?

Absolutely futile.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

I sit near Neil, (he’s not on this one) so can hear his sensible views simply by chatting to him.

Life is far too short to listen to the rest, what would I learn? Ian makes a lot of stuff up? Dave P started the season saying Weimann was “almost stealing a living” “just runs around”? Always says “I’m backing Nige” then slags him off?

Absolutely futile.

Too kind @GrahamC.

Yep, I was on my way back from Huddersfield so couldn't be live on this one.

I did try and make some points early on, on the chat element of podbean about trying not to be kneejerk in reaction to an away defeat against a very good team; but unfortunately it's difficult to have add any form of balance to the debate if you're not live on it.

I only listened to the first 10-15 mins, before mobile data cut out on the M42. I didn't agree with a lot of points raised from what I heard, but heh; that's opinions.

@billywedlock respect your views on the podcast. But reading the feedback on these topics; this seems like thus was an edition that perhaps allowed negativity to get somewhat out of control.

I think in recent months, most of the views on the podcast have been reasoned, and well discussed. Yes, there will be some by Ian in particular that i just laugh at; but at times he's just a panto comedy villain in my eyes ?.

Setting that aside, I still think it's generally a good broadcast; and @headhunter has done some brilliant interviews with the likes of Alan Dicks, Joe Royle and Rob Newman in recent months.

I hope to do some reviews with David over the summer of the season. Personally I think there are a number of positives to the season, whilst acknowledging that results haven't always been the best.

Fascinating summer transfer window ahead as well. Lots of twists  and turns I reckon. If Brownhill, and or Webster goes for big money; it could also transform our summer. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, daored said:

Completely agree on your comments about HNM. @Curr Avonplayers can be sad at leaving a club, maybe HNM feels he has outgrown city and feels for his career best to move on , despite liking it at the club and being happy living in Bristol. I think the comment of ‘crocodile tears’ extremely disrespectful and ignorant. Have you never changed employer, where a new employer offers better benefits,  wherever that be more income, working pattern etc but been sad to leave your current employer?

Please remember how young HNM was when he came to us, a new country, a new language possibly away from family and friends. I’m sure a number of people at the club both playing and non playing have helped him settle into the club and Am

Not everything is as black and white as you obviously want to portray it 

I didn't make the 'crocodile tears' comment.

8 hours ago, billywedlock said:

Surprised you wasted any energy on that clap trap . Ill informed dross that is discussed between self appointed city experts who do not have the decency to prepare for their broadcast by listening to or reading  reference material that is readily readily available .  Therefore end up talking total bo11ox and misinformation. 

Worst pod  cast by a country mile out of the many out there . Don’t waste your life on such rubbish . 

I have to turn off most weeks becuase of the  ******* phones going off and tippy tapping of keyboards. 

14 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

It’s a shit podcast at the end of the day and the contributors need replacing during the World Cup break.

It's been removed from my subscribed podcasts for a while now, that was for a combination of the awful sound quality and Ian Gay. You can fix one but not the other.

I should also say though, that I fully imagine there are people it would appeal to. That being the people that like the phone-in contributors on Radio Bristol.

To call it shit and dismiss it out of hand is to not appreciate the time and effort that the people making this podcast put in. If you don't like it then just don't listen. Christ knows there's enough podcasts out there I've done that with, and there are also enough to keep the world supplied many times over. Bristol City specific podcasts though, are a scarce commodity (there are 3 I think?), and each should be encouraged and not denigrated.

• Like 3

A real low for me on FBC this week. Missed Neil’s balance and thought leadership and transcended into the angry old man’s club again. 

Ian’s random comment generator this week

- get rid of the whole midfield 

- De Silva not good enough

- Pearson has until the World Cup 

- Pulled out his old favourite about Derbys point deduction and how they would be ahead of us on points if they hadn’t cheated.

Such lack of balance in Ian’s comments and so knee jerk. Given his astute business knowledge and his pearls of wisdom re Calum O’Dowda’s contract last week, you would have thought he would consider his comments more carefully.

@Davefevsdid Ian ever give his view on where we would finish this season?

I admire people who spend the time and energy (and probably money) to put these podcasts together, I couldn't do it myself and I'm grateful to those who do.

But, like all things, you either like 'em or you don't.

I've stopped listening to the after match episodes from all of them, but find the interviews with ex-players etc, very good and hope they continue.

• Like 1

Haven't listened to the post Huddersfield podcast yet. It sounds like it may not be their finest hour but generally I like FBC.

It's fans' opinions so they won't expect get it right all the time or please everyone.

Boring if they did.

Someone above said listening figures must be going down; I gathered they were healthy and, if anything, increasing.

Hopefully @headhunter won't be too disheartened by the opprobrium vented on this thread; the efforts involved in providing the pod for us fans (who can simply choose to take it or leave it after al) is appreciated.

Some of the more damning critics on this thread should perhaps offer themselves up to be on the panel and see how their opinions are judged.

• Like 9

6 hours ago, richwwtk said:

It's been removed from my subscribed podcasts for a while now, that was for a combination of the awful sound quality and Ian Gay. You can fix one but not the other.

I should also say though, that I fully imagine there are people it would appeal to. That being the people that like the phone-in contributors on Radio Bristol.

To call it shit and dismiss it out of hand is to not appreciate the time and effort that the people making this podcast put in. If you don't like it then just don't listen. Christ knows there's enough podcasts out there I've done that with, and there are also enough to keep the world supplied many times over. Bristol City specific podcasts though, are a scarce commodity (there are 3 I think?), and each should be encouraged and not denigrated.

I wasn’t being serious tbh and a few posters realised that although, having said that, I’m sure the pro’s on these podcasts (in their own minds anyway) can handle a little bit of non-constructive or agenda led criticism of their work just like the real pro’s do from these podcasts at times…..…if you want to go round making controversial statements like “crocodile tears”  and factually wrong statements like sack Pearson during the World Cup break in September then don’t you expect the odd bit of criticism of your output?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Oi you, stop it…just concentrate on getting Han’s age right, before you confuse me with all this malarkey. ???

I wish i was 20 again! Ha!    Come on Dave....you must  know that  I regard you as the Guru of all things City.......and most of the time the only poster who's opinion is worth reading!!  ?

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

8 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I wish i was 20 again! Ha!    Come on Dave....you must  know that  I regard you as the Guru of all things City.......and most of the time the only poster who's opinion is worth reading!!  ?

20, eh?  I would’ve been a disaster had I had to move to France for a job doing spreadsheets for £50k p.w. ???

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Haven't listened to the post Huddersfield podcast yet. It sounds like it may not be their finest hour but generally I like FBC.

It's fans' opinions so they won't expect get it right all the time or please everyone.

Boring if they did.

Someone above said listening figures must be going down; I gathered they were healthy and, if anything, increasing.

Hopefully @headhunter won't be too disheartened by the opprobrium vented on this thread; the efforts involved in providing the pod for us fans (who can simply choose to take it or leave it after al) is appreciated.

Some of the more damning critics on this thread should perhaps offer themselves up to be on the panel and see how their opinions are judged.

Thanks for the positive comments and those of others including @Tafkarmlf & @richwwtk

From the critics, these caught my eye ...

@View from the Dolman "reactionary, petulant, ill informed waffle" - 

@billywedlock "worst podcast by a country mile, talk total bollox & misinformation" 

@Numero Uno "it's a *hit podcast and the contributors need replacing"

Nothing stopping any of you coming on to give an alternative view - I'll do a pre-season piece with you as a trio if you like.

@Sir Geoff "leaving out Martin, breaking the front 3" - sounds mad in a single sentence but how do you accommodate Scott who can only play in a 3?

@David Brent "no listeners" - published data would suggest otherwise. Nothing I can find on the "irreverent" OSIB but comparing us with the "increasingly safe, nigh on official club pod" that is 3 Peaps, this tells me our following is growing:

Sample: match review podcasts:  the 5 up to Huddersfield at home in December vs. last 5 to this weekend: pre-Christmas 3 Peaps had 18% more downloads, for the more recent period FBC has 14% more downloads, a big swing.

It is all about opinions and, as I have said before Ian is a Piers Morgan type who will attract comments like that made by @Robboredin this current thread, "the negative shite". @NcnsBcfc & @Curr Avon provide a suitable antidote as many have commented.

Love doing it, maybe I should be looking at finding a sponsor if this growth continues!!!!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Flames 1

FBC has become my first listen of the weekend (not just as they are normally first up), and I am the happiest of happy clappers! you want to be entertained as well as informed, when listening to things about city... They are all entertaining including Ian. None of them say they are always right about everything.

I actually listened to the last FBC twice this weekend (as I had loads of DIY stuff and all the city podcasts keep me company whist doing it), I did not think it over the top when reflecting on the game and the whole season...

Yes its a bit negative and yes we have been on a good run and yes Huddersfield are a good side...... but on the flip side they are mostly correct in what they say, judged on the season we have been poor results wise and mostly even worse to watch.  "fake tears" from overpaid footballers are all too common, be it from 20 years olds or 30+ year olds... HNM has flattered to deceive from the start and yes I am afraid it probably is to do with his "look" as much as anything else. AW has been nothing less then brilliant this season and Headhunter has repeatedly admitted it and said he got it wrong. but in the past seasons he has run around in a slightly headless way for much of the time. so judged before this season FBC had that about right.

FBC don't follow the party line and are the better for it, they are knowledgeable on football and passionate about City, we should value all the pods as they are all good in their own way. it does probably need one more "happy clapper" on there to balance it up.

I really value all Dave Fevs says and see where he is coming from, but I for one dont want Ian G or the others to change their ways, its more fun to listen to and they are not ASKING anyone else to feel the same way, they are just giving their opinions.. long may it continue...

the only moan I have is the background sounds of keyboard tapping and hand washing that seems to go on every episode!

Edited by brady bunch
a few typos...
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, brady bunch said:

FBC has become my first listen of the weekend (not just as they are normally first up), and I am the happiest of happy clappers! you want to be entertained as well as informed, when listening to things about city... They are all entertaining including Ian. None of them say they are always right about everything.

I actually listened to the last FBC twice this weekend (as I had loads of DIY stuff and all the city podcasts keep me company whist doing it), I did not think it over the top when reflecting on the game and the whole season...

Yes its a bit negative and yes we have been on a good run and yes Huddersfield are a good side...... but on the flip side they are mostly correct in what they say, judged on the season we have been poor results wise and mostly even worse to watch.  "fake tears" from overpaid footballers are all too common, be it from 20 years olds or 30+ year olds... HNM has flattered to deceive from the start and yes I am afraid it probably is to do with his "look" as much as anything else. AW has been nothing less then brilliant this season and Headhunter has repeatedly admitted it and said he got it wrong. but in the past seasons he has run around in a slightly headless way for much of the time. so judged before this season FBC had that about right.

FBC don't follow the party line and are the better for it, they are knowledgeable on football and passionate about City, we should value all the pods as they are all good in their own way. it does probably need one more "happy clapper" on there to balance it up.

I really value all Dave Fevs says and see where he is coming from, but I for one dont want Ian G or the others to change their ways, its more fun to listen to and they are not ASKING anyone else to feel the same way, they are just giving their opinions.. long may it continue...

the only moan I have is the background sounds of keyboard tapping and hand washing that seems to go on every episode!

That pretty much sums up my views on the pod. I criticise Mr Gay quite often for his views, but I'll still listen as that is the beauty of opinions. It's better when Neil is on there who imo is the most balanced fan on there. I still think the podcast is probably the best one out there as it causes the most reactions on this forum.

And I agree about Massengo - he has flattered to deceive. Just look at his Goal and assist stats - it's not great for a player of his talent. 

• Like 4

FBC is definitely my 'go to' out of the ones on offer.

Ian can be very marmite, but that is what makes FBC what it is.  The interviews with past players etc are great, and we must remember the guys aren't getting paid to do this, and you aren't obliged to listen either.

One thing which did make me laugh is Ian takes great pride in telling everyone you can't just get rid of Wells, Palmer and Bakinson as they are in contract, yet on this weeks episode he wants to clear out the whole of the midfield (when Williams, James, Bakinson, Massengo all under contract). Can't have it both ways!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, headhunter said:

It is all about opinions and, as I have said before Ian is a Piers Morgan type who will attract comments like that made by @Robboredin this current thread, "the negative shite". @NcnsBcfc & @Curr Avon provide a suitable antidote as many have commented.

I don’t listen to the podcasts simply because of Mr Negative. He’s incredibly pessimistic about all things City - it’s repetitive and dreary shite.

He gives the impression that if NP and SL did it his way City would already be in the PL……ffs……:facepalm:

Jeez……..…..:sleeping:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, headhunter said:

Thanks for the positive comments and those of others including @Tafkarmlf & @richwwtk

@billywedlock "worst podcast by a country mile, talk total bollox & misinformation" 

Nothing stopping any of you coming on to give an alternative view - I'll do a pre-season piece with you as a trio if you like.

@Sir Geoff "leaving out Martin, breaking the front 3" - sounds mad in a single sentence but how do you accommodate Scott who can only play in a 3?

@David Brent "no listeners" - published data would suggest otherwise. Nothing I can find on the "irreverent" OSIB but comparing us with the "increasingly safe, nigh on official club pod" that is 3 Peaps, this tells me our following is growing:

Sample: match review podcasts:  the 5 up to Huddersfield at home in December vs. last 5 to this weekend: pre-Christmas 3 Peaps had 18% more downloads, for the more recent period FBC has 14% more downloads, a big swing.

Love doing it, maybe I should be looking at finding a sponsor if this growth continues!!!!

My comment didn’t say “no listeners”. If numbers are increasing then good luck to you.

I’ve given it a try. It’s still just ill informed personal opinions between 3 blokes in a pub though. Nothing more. 

3 hours ago, headhunter said:

???? you missed the most obvious bit of my statement when quoting me. That’s ok though. Luckily none of your other panel contributors do that when quoting Nige otherwise your podcast would be at least one third full of agenda led and emotional waffle from the self appointed football guru of the South West based on the result that day. I’ll decline your invitation thanks…………

Don’t get the hate for FBC to be honest. It’s the first city pod I listen to each week, followed by OSIB and then maybe 3 peaps but I struggle to get on board with 3 peaps as it does play things very safe r.e. Any criticism of the team or club. FBC and OSIB will at least call out crap football when they see it, and let’s face it - apart from Hull 5-0 there’s been an awful lot of crap to discuss this season. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Beni71 said:

A real low for me on FBC this week. Missed Neil’s balance and thought leadership and transcended into the angry old man’s club again. 

Ian’s random comment generator this week

- get rid of the whole midfield 

- De Silva not good enough

- Pearson has until the World Cup 

- Pulled out his old favourite about Derbys point deduction and how they would be ahead of us on points if they hadn’t cheated.

Such lack of balance in Ian’s comments and so knee jerk. Given his astute business knowledge and his pearls of wisdom re Calum O’Dowda’s contract last week, you would have thought he would consider his comments more carefully.

@Davefevsdid Ian ever give his view on where we would finish this season?

Yeah, same for me. Very bleak listen. Don’t get me wrong it’s been far from great this season but we’ve got through it and finished pretty much where we thought we would. There have been some real positives, especially with the young talent being given an opportunity. 

Real disappointing end this one. 

• Like 1

Whoever hosts it, some of the stuff he comes out with makes me laugh, hans crocodile tears just because not signing a new contract, it wouldn’t suprise me if the club are trying to push him out he is a saleable asset, flattered to deceive in some way yes, but I think it comes down a lot to coaching, oh and I thought hnm and Scott were a good pairing in the middle but as soon as James was fit hnm was dropped, Sheffield utd 2nd half was quality but again dropped, and saying about if kalas doesn’t sign a contract then needs to be sold, too quick to get on the back of a player, how do we even know he’s been offered an extension 

On 09/05/2022 at 14:43, headhunter said:

Who says Scott can only play in a 3 ? The front three have been so successful this season you (NP) can't contemplate breaking them up, which is why Scott has been getting a lot of 'Championship' minutes at wing back. Yes he is better infield but I suspect next season he will be vying with James and Williams for a starting place rather than displacing Weimann as a 10.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

On 09/05/2022 at 15:20, 2015 said:

That pretty much sums up my views on the pod. I criticise Mr Gay quite often for his views, but I'll still listen as that is the beauty of opinions. It's better when Neil is on there who imo is the most balanced fan on there. I still think the podcast is probably the best one out there as it causes the most reactions on this forum.

And I agree about Massengo - he has flattered to deceive. Just look at his Goal and assist stats - it's not great for a player of his talent. 

Goals and assists is a lazy way of judging any player that isn't a forward, especially a box to box midfielder, but to each their own.

• Like 3