IGNORED

Play Offs

Red Army 75

1 hour ago, Red Army 75 said:

10,307 attendance at Stockport . Bit of perspective for the deluded few. 

Great attendance by Stockport and it will hopefully be nice to see them on their way back into the football league.

We had almost 14,100 today but Port Vale didn't sell 500 of their allocation 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Great attendance by Stockport and it will hopefully be nice to see them on their way back into the football league.

We had almost 14,100 today but Port Vale didn't sell 500 of their allocation 

Really, what was their allocation?

1 minute ago, 1960maaan said:

Geoff Merrick brilliant diving header ..... OG ?

Stood in the East End we could sense what was going to happen so all shouted "leave it Geoff". Wonderful game for neutrals though. 2-0 up, 2-2 HT, 2-4 down but drew 4-4. At 3-4 when Peter Cormack came on, we realised we can  draw this.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, 22A said:

Stood in the East End we could sense what was going to happen so all shouted "leave it Geoff". Wonderful game for neutrals though. 2-0 up, 2-2 HT, 2-4 down but drew 4-4. At 3-4 when Peter Cormack came on, we realised we can  draw this.

They were brilliant if I remember correctly. Wrexham had a great team back then with players such as Dixie McNeil and Mickey Thomas so it was no surprise to lose the replay.

15 minutes ago, 22A said:

Yeah, we were at the back of the East End. I remember being so excited about getting a draw that we were definitely going to the replay. By the time we got home we had 2nd thoughts, and as the replay was 2 days later and a Monday we thought better of it.
Glad when I heard the score.

4 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Yeah, we were at the back of the East End. I remember being so excited about getting a draw that we were definitely going to the replay. By the time we got home we had 2nd thoughts, and as the replay was 2 days later and a Monday we thought better of it.

A wise decision. It wasn`t the best away day I`ve ever had!

Something very weird for me surrounding the game though. I wasn`t able to get a programme for some reason and it annoyed me for years as it was a gap in my collection. Imagine my surprise when, a few years later, I found a copy in Bury`s programme shop in a box of random programmes on the counter!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

I could be wrong but think a certain Dixie McNeil did us a lot of damage 

He scored in both games but Bobby Shinton and Mickey Thomas were the standout players for Wrexham.

Talking of Dixie McNeil, John Sillett wanted the club to sign him on while he was playing for Lincoln, but Alan Dicks And Tony Collins rejected it. The on going dispute was the reason Sillett left the club.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I'd forgotten it was 2 days later on the Monday, but I didn't think better of it and went up anyway.

Terrible night, especially as I'd only been there a couple of months earlier to see Wrexham knock us out of the League Cup as well.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I'd forgotten it was 2 days later on the Monday, but I didn't think better of it and went up anyway.

Terrible night, especially as I'd only been there a couple of months earlier to see Wrexham knock us out of the League Cup as well.

I must admit I had to check, thought there was longer between the games. 

Mad that now you'd have to wait a week or two for a replay.

41 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I must admit I had to check, thought there was longer between the games. 

Mad that now you'd have to wait a week or two for a replay.

Ha ha, I had to check it too after originally starting my reply with. 'surely the replay was midweek?'

In those days I was City mad enough to rearrange just about anything at short notice to get to the games.

• Like 2