IGNORED

Play Offs

Red Army 75

2 hours ago, Henry said:

No doubt Cooper has gone a good job there but I think it’s been overstated.

He took over after a few games and not many points off the play offs at that stage. He was well backed with money in Jan.

Its not quite the same had the job Dowie did when he took Palace up.

Eh? They had the worst start in the division.

0 Wins, 1 Draw, 6 losses. 12 points off the playoffs after only 7 games. Since then I think they've picked up more points than any other team in the division.

He's done a brilliant job.

It’s starting to become a bit of a chore, congratulating ecstatic friends of mine on their teams promotion to the Premier League. This year Forest., last year Brentford, before that Sheff Utd, Cardiff, Brighton. I wouldn’t mind so much if we’d had our day before, or had a big chance in the future but let’s face it, we’re never gonna get to the Premier League.

7 hours ago, chinapig said:

We don't have the money to pay the loan fees and wages involved. They don't come cheap.

There are no doubt some loan fees that we can afford but Pearson has stated that he doesn’t want loan players so whether we can afford it or not is irrelevant 

5 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

It’s starting to become a bit of a chore, congratulating ecstatic friends of mine on their teams promotion to the Premier League. This year Forest., last year Brentford, before that Sheff Utd, Cardiff, Brighton. I wouldn’t mind so much if we’d had our day before, or had a big chance in the future but let’s face it, we’re never gonna get to the Premier League.

That’s the spirit .

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, harrys said:

There are no doubt some loan fees that we can afford but Pearson has stated that he doesn’t want loan players so whether we can afford it or not is irrelevant 

He did say he didn't like loans - he then went on to explain his reasons, he doesn't see them as providing value, he questions the commitment of loan players, he doesn't want outside influences while he is trying to build the correct mentality, he wants more equality within the squad.

I'm sure if there were players available on loan that would improve us enough to get us to the prem then we would go for it but at the moment we would probably need 5 or 6 so what's the point wasting money.

The way you're presenting it it's like he has made a decision without explanation and stubbornly refuses to change his mind, it's not that.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pezo said:

He did say he didn't like loans - he then went on to explain his reasons, he doesn't see them as providing value, he questions the commitment of loan players, he doesn't want outside influences while he is trying to build the correct mentality, he wants more equality within the squad.

I'm sure if there were players available on loan that would improve us enough to get us to the prem then we would go for it but at the moment we would probably need 5 or 6 so what's the point wasting money.

The way you're presenting it it's like he has made a decision without explanation and stubbornly refuses to change his mind, it's not that.

He also makes the point about why pay to develop someone else’s players when you can develop your own for free 

• Like 3

Given some of the decisions Huddersfield were on the receiving end of it’ll be interesting to see what if any pressure gets put on the PGMOL, normally these wrong decisions in the premier league don’t cost teams upwards of £100 million 

Might ruffle a few feathers if Huddersfield suggested taking legal action..

1 hour ago, Pezo said:

Agree with this. Some fans are a bit too black and white about the loan stuff.

I think ultimately with a loan signing it’s assessing why you’re doing it. What was the point in bringing loan players in last season when we were a mid-lower-half-of-the-table team? A good one may mean you finish 15th instead of 17th?!

Our League One promotion year is probably a good example of how to use them - we didn’t go looking for loans in the summer but, with points on the board and injuries up front, Matt Smith was brought in to help keep the momentum. In the January, James Tavernier and George Saville came in to offer a bit more depth for the final push.

Essentially, you could justify the extra short-term outlay because it was to help achieve a long-term objective.

I’ve no doubt if we were in that sort of position under Nigel Pearson he’d be just as pragmatic.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, East Londoner said:

Given some of the decisions Huddersfield were on the receiving end of it’ll be interesting to see what if any pressure gets put on the PGMOL, normally these wrong decisions in the premier league don’t cost teams upwards of £100 million 

Might ruffle a few feathers if Huddersfield suggested taking legal action..

Can't see that happening myself. Was at the match and there was a lot of unrest after the first decision, which was upheld by VAR. Having looked at it a few times don't think there was enough definitive evidence to justify changing the refs decision. There wasn't much of an appeal over the second one which just looked like a coming together live so could understand the ref not giving it. Having looked at it a few times I think that it should have been given but it needed VAR to tell the ref.. Hope there's no legals though - very bad precedent to set.

As an aside, the programme included an article on that ****ing Dean Windass goal. Will that ever go away?

38 minutes ago, Calculus said:

Can't see that happening myself. Was at the match and there was a lot of unrest after the first decision, which was upheld by VAR. Having looked at it a few times don't think there was enough definitive evidence to justify changing the refs decision. There wasn't much of an appeal over the second one which just looked like a coming together live so could understand the ref not giving it. Having looked at it a few times I think that it should have been given but it needed VAR to tell the ref.. Hope there's no legals though - very bad precedent to set.

As an aside, the programme included an article on that ****ing Dean Windass goal. Will that ever go away?

In todays game i just don’t see how you can come to that conclusion for the first - for me it’s as obvious a penalty as it gets using VAR.

I’d be raging if that was City in that position and that wasn’t given 

Edited by Rob k

19 minutes ago, Rob k said:

In todays game i just don’t see how you can come to that conclusion for the first - for me it’s as obvious a penalty as it gets using VAR.

I’d be raging if that was City in that position and that wasn’t given 

Toffolo gets a little nudge as he gets in front of the first man, that then forces him into contact by Colback after he’s nicked the ball away.  That contact means his right foot trips up his other leg.  I can only think Moss thought he tripped himself up and there was no contact.  He should’ve had a look at the screen, he will have gained the benefit of seeing the contact that he missed / assumed didn’t happen.

Im not sure these things are ever clear cut, as contact is allowed, but I’d have said more penalty than not penalty.

The problem with VAR is that they direct the ref to the screen when they pretty much want them to change their decision.  If they changed it to an “appeal” system, LOB would’ve appealed, Moss would’ve gone to to the screen and made himself aware of both bits of contact by Forest players.

VAR has just been implemented wrong.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Toffolo gets a little nudge as he gets in front of the first man, that then forces him into contact by Colback after he’s nicked the ball away.  That contact means his right foot trips up his other leg.  I can only think Moss thought he tripped himself up and there was no contact.  He should’ve had a look at the screen, he will have gained the benefit of seeing the contact that he missed / assumed didn’t happen.

Im not sure these things are ever clear cut, as contact is allowed, but I’d have said more penalty than not penalty.

The problem with VAR is that they direct the ref to the screen when they pretty much want them to change their decision.  If they changed it to an “appeal” system, LOB would’ve appealed, Moss would’ve gone to to the screen and made himself aware of both bits of contact by Forest players.

Trouble with the game is , one set of laws interpreted by lots of different referees. I'm certain that some players in the pl "win" their penalties by their reputation of have won lots before.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I'm not convinced Toffolo is contacted by Colback as he seems to whip his leg away. The way he went down doesn't help either. Unfortunately the ref had disallowed it and the question was then is there enough evidence to overturn. Not convinced, although as I was watching it there I was shouting for VAR and willing them to change.

Mind you, had the on-field decision been a penalty don't think there'd be enough evidence to overturn that either.

(All this, by thw way from someone who had lived down here for 50 years but grew up watching the Terriers and whose fantasy Champions League Final is Huddersfield vs Bristol City).

Edited by Calculus
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Lew-T said:

Before the Clough era, did Forest win anything? Small club?

Er, two FA Cups, old First Division runner-up in the mid 60s.  They've spent more of their life as a club in the top flight than out of it.

I'm not a big fan of the living-in-the-past Forest fans, but Nottingham is a big enough city to deserve at least one club in the Premier League. As is Bristol of course. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Calculus said:

Got to say........the first one was not a penalty IMHO..........But the second one, having watched it numerous times, was most definitely a foul, and without doubt a penalty.  I can absolutely see why Huddersfield would be aggrieved?  I appreciate it was the ref's final match.........but what a little tub of lard he was,   and always struggling to keep up with play?

6 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

They won the FA Cup in 1959 - Elton John's cousin scored one of their goals. True! Johnny Quigley - who played for us between 66 & 68 - also played in that game.

Up until then, they'd been considered the junior partner in Nottingham.  

The day I was born. And I`m 63.

• Like 1

On 30/05/2022 at 10:44, Merrick's Marvels said:

They won the FA Cup in 1959 - Elton John's cousin scored one of their goals. True! Johnny Quigley - who played for us between 66 & 68 - also played in that game.

Up until then, they'd been considered the junior partner in Nottingham.  

Roy Dwight (Eltons cousin) was also carried off after 33 minutes with a broken leg.

• Like 1