Jump to content
IGNORED

Play Offs


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

It’s a weird division with a diverse mix of teams. About five or six former premier league clubs with really big fanbases and grounds… and then also about half a dozen clubs up from non league that can barely muster 3000 fans. There’s a big gap there, Ipswich finishing 11th on 70 points, then Fleetwood in 20th and surviving on 40!

Yeah it's a strange division and something that fans have been quibbling about on Owlstalk tonight, some people pointing out we got 85 points, and others saying the league is so bad beyond that top section it isn't anything to shout about. I've actually enjoyed seeing us win some games this season for a change 😆 

Got to be seriously challenging for automatic next season though. 

Anyway this isn't a Wednesday thread so I'll stop moaning at this point.

 

Think I want Forest up in the Championship, tempted to say Luton but I think Forest would be a good addition back in the top flight.

Wycombe in League One.

Northampton in League Two after Scunthorpe stitched them up.

  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Owl Visiting said:

 

Yep, longest ever period outside the top flight for us this, 21 years and counting. I'm a bit too young to have fully appreciated the brief period in the early 90s when we were a really good side. In 1991 we won the League Cup in what is now The Championship, went up that year and finished 3rd in the top flight. I caught the tail end of it when we still had some great players like Waddle and Hirst, but it's been mainly downhill ever since. 

Blimey that is some unwanted record. PL seems like it is becoming a bit of a closed shop these days...we could get 3/3 promoted clubs in receipt of Parachute Payments from Championship to PL this year.

42 years and counting for us since the top flight. Major club Sheffield Wednesday, Sunderland too- good luck next year though it seems not such an easy League to get out of- and oddly, smaller clubs on paper such as Rotherham, financial problems aside Wigan, then Barnsley and who knows maybe Wycombe and then Peterborough seem quite equipped to yoyo between the two divisions.

I remember when I started following, 8 long years in that League...but definitely seemed like a narrower range of clubs from 1999/2000 to 2006/07.

55 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

It’s a weird division with a diverse mix of teams. About five or six former premier league clubs with really big fanbases and grounds… and then also about half a dozen clubs up from non league that can barely muster 3000 fans. There’s a big gap there, Ipswich finishing 11th on 70 points, then Fleetwood in 20th and surviving on 40!

Yes, agreed. Interesting division, quite enjoyable too especially if in one of the latter or middling- I know a Tranmere fan and I fear I jinxed their season...texted him when they beat Swindon 3-0 a week into February and said "Just keep up that momentum, possible trips to Derby and Sheffield Wednesday- maybe Bolton, Ipswich and Sunderland too!" They were 3rd and I remember saying they looked a dead cert for the playoffs at least (12 pts above the team outside the playoffs).

They finished 9th.  🤐 2nd on 55 pts from 30 games, having just checked- excellent defensive record, top 3 automatic, 4th-7th playoffs...you get the picture very well placed. I tipped them- never had a good record with football betting though! :laughcont:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Owl Visiting said:

Yeah it's a strange division and something that fans have been quibbling about on Owlstalk tonight, some people pointing out we got 85 points, and others saying the league is so bad beyond that top section it isn't anything to shout about. I've actually enjoyed seeing us win some games this season for a change 😆 

Got to be seriously challenging for automatic next season though. 

Anyway this isn't a Wednesday thread so I'll stop moaning at this point.

 

Think I want Forest up in the Championship, tempted to say Luton but I think Forest would be a good addition back in the top flight.

Wycombe in League One.

Northampton in League Two after Scunthorpe stitched them up.

You’ll find it hard again next season. All the relegated teams will be strong again, and don’t Ipswich now have rich owners?  Plus I’ve heard on very good authority that the famous Roverzzzzzz are coming for us so there’s only two promotion places to play for.

Edited by Wanderingred
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No disrespect to @Owlstalk who's clearly decent, as are many Wednesday fans (as an aside, is Tango allowed back, or still following away only??)

However as is the ex's team I'm glad that they've not come up, means I don't have a tricky away tie to navigate next season (Hopefully don't get them in a cup!)  result. 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, stephenkibby. said:

Enjoyed that good result for me.

Good friend of mine Sunderland fan who has followed them all over the country from South Devon for 45 years 

So yeah big club like em back up with us. 

Went to the gate in 70 with my mate took him in to the East End, first game of the season 4/3 win . He survived.

What a game and Sunderland skins on the East End, it didn't go entirely to plan for them 😉

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Owl Visiting said:

 

Yep, longest ever period outside the top flight for us this, 21 years and counting. I'm a bit too young to have fully appreciated the brief period in the early 90s when we were a really good side. In 1991 we won the League Cup in what is now The Championship, went up that year and finished 3rd in the top flight. I caught the tail end of it when we still had some great players like Waddle and Hirst, but it's been mainly downhill ever since. 

My mate was at Sheffield Uni 97-99 so when I went up to see him we watched Wednesday in the Prem, they beat Arsenal 2-0 in the year Arsenal won the double (first league title under Wenger I think) and then they beat Man Utd 3-1 in the year Utd won the treble!   

Edited by Tinmans Love Child
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, southside said:

What a game and Sunderland skins on the East End, it didn't go entirely to plan for them 😉

My first game that I went on my own , with mates. An eye opener for sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Tin Soldier said:

Well played Sunderland, glad they got through to final. Football in the NE is a religion up there. Hope they go up.

Yep Sunderland away or Wycombe away! Mmmmm. Think I want Wycombe, with the added bonus of justice with Derby going down!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin
3 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

That`s a pen as long as I`ve got a hole in me arse. Ref`s evening it up.

I’d say that was a red too.   Remember when used to get the top premier league refs for play offs.. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, TomF said:

I’d say that was a red too.   Remember when used to get the top premier league refs for play offs.. 

Having seen most of those recently I'm  not convinced by many of them. Paul Tierney at Spurs v Arsenal last night got most of the Arsenal decisions right but being the home team Spurs appeared to be allowed alot of leeway. No punishment for an elbow by Son and one or two Spurs players kicking out when tackled but again nothing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Two penalty’s missed 

I can see why both weren’t given. 
Hudds - Toffolo got too far advanced and under the ball. Plus he egged it up and imitated a swan. Yes there was contact but you’ll get 20 a game if you give that. 
Luton - Jerome moves his right leg into Sarr and initiates the contact. 
Neither one was a penalty for me. 

Edited by Harry
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...