IGNORED

Released players announcement..

PFree

4 minutes ago, Sandhurst Red said:

Players do come and go, however do remember that they are no different than you or I and have feelings etc.

Callum was amazing when he met my son, giving him so much time and encouraging him to pursue a dream of playing football.

Last week was mental health week, and many don't know about some of the injuries that Callum has faced as he is quite a private person.

Many may say he should/could have delivered more, but I will say this - from what I saw, he gave his all and both he, and his family cared deeply about this club. He also did a lot in the community that was unnoticed and unreported, and represented Bristol City as a professional at all times. 

Good luck Callum and I for one hope you go on to achieve more in your career.

????

A few comments on Soady above.  My view is that he burst on the scene in a pre-season friendly a few seasons back, then had a bad injury. When I saw him earlier this season he looked way off, but then had a loan at Paulton and came back a better player.

Having said that, he’s 20 (21 in Sept) and one of those players capable of the sublime and the ridiculous all within 5 minutes of each other.  I think normally he’d get another year, but we appear to be more ruthless, and he’s missed out.

Hope he gets fixed up somewhere, same for all of the players released.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

A few comments on Soady above.  My view is that he burst on the scene in a pre-season friendly a few seasons back, then had a bad injury. When I saw him earlier this season he looked way off, but then had a loan at Paulton and came back a better player.

Having said that, he’s 20 (21 in Sept) and one of those players capable of the sublime and the ridiculous all within 5 minutes of each other.  I think normally he’d get another year, but we appear to be more ruthless, and he’s missed out.

I didn't see him in the earlier part of his career, having on really started watching the U23 streams in the last year or so and I must say I often wondered what all the fuss was about with him. I think Pearson said before that if you are not in and around the first team by 20, you probably aren't going to be. There are some notable exceptions to that rule, but we seem to have so many players in the pipeline at the moment, unless he moves up he is just blocking the way.
It doesn't seem that there have been many takers for him on loan either other than Paulton Rovers.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, David Brent said:

I won’t give myself a heart attack with anger at Callum, like several appear to.

He’ll get a decent move. Right decision for us and him. 

I’ll gladly take heart attack duties from you. Thank god we don’t have to have any more COD false dawns. 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

What memories?  I don’t have any good ones of CoD. He did very little despite his undoubted skills and decent pace. Never skinned a full back or took on defenders. He was largely a waste of space.

My comment was meant as irony…he was total pony

• Thanks 1

Well I'm really sorry he's been released. A very talented international player.

I seem to recall the Leeds speculation which led to an improved contract at the time.

He's played in different positions and is pretty settled here.

Unless we are looking to retain him on post covid reduced terms That might come back to bite us.

• Like 1

Just now, MC RISK77 said:

My comment was meant as irony…he was total pony

Every one is entitled to their opinion but to call him total pony? You weren't at Carrow Road then when he scored that sublime goal dribbling past several opponents.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Swede said:

I seem to recall the Leeds speculation which led to an improved contract at the time.

Unless we are looking to retain him on post covid reduced terms That might come back to bite us.

And just as he’s about to take a bite, he’ll turn and dribble back towards his own goal. 

Just now, Swede said:

Every one is entitled to their opinion but to call him total pony? You weren't at Carrow Road then when he scored that sublime goal dribbling past several opponents.

Good luck to cod, but thats very little end product in 6 years, he arguably didnt have the impact to have his contract renewed last time.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Was just about to mention Soady, bit surprised by that one although it's possible that there are younger players in the pathway who they think are a better bet than him.

I expect that's right. I remember remarking to one of City coaches in Riga during Gary Johnson's time that I was surprised we were releasing Jennison Myrie-Williams,but was told they thought they had better coming through. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I hope so too Dave for the lads sake but I expect he may drift into local non-league football. City may not always gets its recruitment right but I can't think of (m)any young players we've released that have gone on to have a glittering career elsewhere. 

3 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

So as expected re ongoing talks with King, Klose and Cundy. Hope they aren't trying to strongarm us into paying ott wages. 

Buse is a bit of an odd one, would've expected a new deal to be pretty routine to sort there.

Is there any chance that we are awaiting some kind of green light from the EFL on wages, terms deemed acceptable by them?

Gould did say in his interview that while we were looking to keep the same budget as this season, he used the term 'at this point in time'. Right now I'm struggling to square a circle or two.

Simple example. Numbers made up for illustrative purposes.

Keep it tight

If we need a wage bill not exceeding £25m to remain compliant next season and it's £24m now we could only spend another million as it stands strengthening the team plus anything raised in sales etc.

Renewing the 3 maybe difficult and am assuming O'Dowda leaving in that figure.

Battle back to balance

If we need a wage bill of £25m next year as stated and O'Dowda has got one taking it down to say £28m, we need to save £3m or raise that in transfer fees just to return to parity.

Renewal of all 3 is a further £1.2m in total say, why would the EFL permit us to make the issue worse until the relevant saving/profit has been made.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, Swede said:

It wasn’t just Leeds but Fulham as well, both of which LJ stated as having turned his head (after verbally telling LJ he would sign for us), he rejected three contract offers from us, finally signing a new deal when the Fulham one fell through.

2 hours ago, Sandhurst Red said:

Players do come and go, however do remember that they are no different than you or I and have feelings etc.

Callum was amazing when he met my son, giving him so much time and encouraging him to pursue a dream of playing football.

Last week was mental health week, and many don't know about some of the injuries that Callum has faced as he is quite a private person.

Many may say he should/could have delivered more, but I will say this - from what I saw, he gave his all and both he, and his family cared deeply about this club. He also did a lot in the community that was unnoticed and unreported, and represented Bristol City as a professional at all times. 

That's nice to hear.

In all honesty, my overriding feeling with Callum O'Dowda is one of frustration - for him as much as us - in that I feel the ability and talent is there but  - whatever the reasons (and I absolutely get we don't know what happened behind the scenes - he never managed to perform to his ability a consistent basis and he will have seen colleagues and teammates like Brownhill move onto to a level I'm sure he hoped he would one day get to himself.

I think releasing him is the right decision and a fresh start might be a good thing for everyone. But I'd be really happy for him if he went on to finally realise his potential elsewhere. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

That's nice to hear.

In all honesty, my overriding feeling with Callum O'Dowda is one of frustration - for him as much as us - in that I feel the ability and talent is there but  - whatever the reasons (and I absolutely get we don't know what happened behind the scenes - he never managed to perform to his ability a consistent basis and he will have seen colleagues and teammates like Brownhill move onto to a level I'm sure he hoped he would one day get to himself.

I think releasing him is the right decision and a fresh start might be a good thing for everyone. But I'd be really happy for him if he went on to finally realise his potential elsewhere. 

I could see him rocking up at Burnley with Brownhill if Burnley get relegated.

4 hours ago, Lordofthebling said:

Bit gutted he didn't kick on into the player he could have been, he has the attributes, just lacks that all important consistency and arguably confidence.

Good luck CoD

Most importantly he lacks bottle.

Plus his return of 10 goals in 176 appearances in 6 seasons is woeful for what should be an attack minded player.

Edited by Cardy

17 hours ago, Dan Robin said:

Klose signing would be great, especially if rumours about Baker's departure/retirement will be confirmed.  Cundy seem to have impressed too.

About COD...I think that he lost himself a bit, but he was also unlucky to get injured after he hit form. Anyway, I understand the choice of releasing him.

Is it Klose to happening? 

18 hours ago, Sandhurst Red said:

Totally agree. Callum was in with the away supporters when we played at Reading & is a really nice down to earth  lad. Whatever people’s opinion of him as a footballer they really should think before they post some of the abusive messages that they do. 

• Like 7

COD always came across really well in interviews etc, but as a footballer his career at City was indifferent. He had many attributes (pace, athleticism, skill) but never fulfilled his potential and rarely affected games enough. Definitely the right time for him to move on and best of luck to him. 

• Like 2