IGNORED

Released players announcement..

PFree

1 minute ago, RobintheRed Red said:

King and James id release two slow for championship football .

James has 2 years left on his contract.  He does unfortunately seem to have a touch of the Brunts about him since coming back from injury.  Thought he looked good earlier in the season, but largely ineffective since his return from the sidelines.

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

1 minute ago, Steve Watts said:

James has 2 years left on his contract.  He does unfortunately seem to have a touch of the Brunts about him since coming back from injury.  Thought he looked good earlier in the season, but largely ineffective since his return from the sidelines.

Just now, RobintheRed Red said:

? agree

Edited by RobintheRed Red

11 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

We all see things differently.

I thought he was outstanding against Derby and played extremely well in the last two games.

One of the first on the teamsheet for me.

• Like 6

19 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Don't forget Palmer's not going to be on it as he is under contract.

My memory is there are six players out of contract in the summer.  (There were eight but Martin has signed and Simpson has left).

I think there are six players we are waiting to hear on:

• Bakinson (seems certain to be released)
  • Britton (strongly rumoured to be being released)
  • Cundy (my guess is we want him to stay but we'll see)
  • King (Not really sure what to expect. Guessing he'll be released but not sure if the Benarous injury changes anything.
  • Klose (my guest is we want him to stay but we'll see)
  • O'Dowda (I think he'll be released but a poster claiming to be ITK reckons he is being offered a new deal on reduced terms)

Other players - such as Palmer, Vyner and Moore - might have been advised to find new clubs but won't be leaving unless they do so or we negotiate a settlement. 

Bakinson is under contract still as well isn't he?

1 hour ago, Steve Watts said:

It would depend on who he partners with in CM would def keep James. King needs ditching another waste of a wage.

Edited by Super

3 hours ago, Sturny said:

He's not football smart enough off the ball to be a champ player yet. I want to call him lazy but on the ball he can be decent, we've seen it. 

His level is L1

Not one I want to keep but a squad player elsewhere in the Championship perhaps.

He's an automaton imo, and doesn't have that spark to be anything more than that.

Definitely the time for a parting of the ways and he's simply not good enough to give us cause to regret it.

I may be out of step with others here but I think that Bakinson is a very good player indeed and one who, with the right coaching and guidance, can establish himself at at least championship level.  However I know little about his attitude and temperament and if those are indeed suspect then he needs someone he is prepared to learn from.  I doubt Pearson has the patience to get him on the right track.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I may be out of step with others here but I think that Bakinson is a very good player indeed and one who, with the right coaching and guidance, can establish himself at at least championship level.  However I know little about his attitude and temperament and if those are indeed suspect then he needs someone he is prepared to learn from.  I doubt Pearson has the patience to get him on the right track.

He reminds me a little of Bobby Reid when he was a midfielder. Obviously not in the way he plays, they’re completely different, but in so much as going forwards they’re both good looking players, but in possession in a defensive area a complete liability. Sadly for Bakinson, he doesn’t have the physical attributes that Reid had, and his continual lolloping around the pitch alludes to his attitude. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

No, you're not completely out of step. Bakinson has got something IMO also. When gets on the ball he has the ability to make something happen, whether thats a defence splitting pass or even popping up with a goal. In fact if you do a like for like comparison with Massengo, I'm pretty sure on an attacking front Bakinson would win the stats. However it's the other side of his game where he's lacking. He lets others drift past him too easily. He doesn't bust a gut to get back. If he loses the ball, there isn't any urgency - things that you do get with Massengo.

He's got great skill, he's big, strong, has an athletic build, so could be another poor mans Viera. Similarly Clayton Fortune was the same. Loads of ability but lacked the aggression and desire to take him as far as he could go.

Saying all that, I'd still let Bakinson go as I think too much water has gone under the bridge now.

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

15 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

A bit of insider knowledge on 3 peeps podcast let slip that one of the players out on loan was always late for training and found it difficult to get out of bed in the morning. No names mentioned but not too many to speculate from.

• Thanks 2

• Admin

I'm sure in the recent Robins uncut video when Pearson was addressing the team he mentioned it was the following day would be the last time they would be together, hinted that all the usual tests before the summer had been done

I'd imagine that meant things would be moving very quickly this week

I wonder if we might offer to pay up some of Palmers wages so he can find a club. Not likely to get any offers as it stands, and if he can get a 3 year deal somewhere and a pay off from us it may make sense all round.

I can see ODowda being offered a deal. I think Nige likes him and he can play in a front 3 and adds something a little different.

Cundy has been offered a deal , I imagine he will sign.

King , I didn't think he was that bad, unfortunately injuries stopped him getting any consistency . I wonder if player/coach role maybe on the cards.

Really hope they can sort Klose out soon. 

Britton has gone IMO.

Another one that could possibly go is Nahki Wells. Has said he wants and needs to play. I wouldn't be surprised if he found a Club fairly soon.

As for Bakinson. Always thought he was a very good player, with the ball at his feet, with a little time he was probably the best attacking passer at the Club. He was in a poor side that couldn't retain possession and who's forwards were as static as they could be. His problem for me was when he was closed down in possession, he could hesitate or freeze and try a panic ball. They number of times he played us into trouble was ridiculous . If he has an obvious ball or time, good player. Press and Harris him and he's lost.
Seems to need to play playing forward with runners ahead of him, but when he's in that deeper position he gets caught on the ball. Find a team & role he could be very good IMO.

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

His general passing stats (percentage successful) are low, well below Champ average, his through passes are high in terms of completed attempts and average in terms of percentage successful.

At Lg1 level he is amongst the top group of Centre Midfield passers.

Lets not forget, he’s playing in a struggling City side and a decent passing Ipswich side.  I don’t think he’s the worst player in the world, on his day he can cut it at Champ level, but his middling performance is shy of what we require imho.  I hope we receive offers for him.

One thing to think about, I remember KDB's stats for Man C .
He had a very low pass completion rate because he tried so many through balls. ?

I wonder if this year would have helped his development , I've not seen or read much about him as I didn't't think he'd ever be back. 
I imagine he would look a lot better if he had played during our recent run. Movement ahead of him, more stable MF and more solid defence. With everyone happy to take the ball. 

Edited by 1960maaan
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

A bit of insider knowledge on 3 peeps podcast let slip that one of the players out on loan was always late for training and found it difficult to get out of bed in the morning. No names mentioned but not too many to speculate from.

And possibly made another player late, who may now be back on the bus

• Like 2

20 hours ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

Bakinson had a years option in his contract. We activated it when he was in the team (around the time of the Stoke home game, where he scored the winner). 

He then left for Ipswich on loan, and they have an option to buy.

Surely they can   take him on a free?  .........please

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I wonder if we might offer to pay up some of Palmers wages so he can find a club. Not likely to get any offers as it stands, and if he can get a 3 year deal somewhere and a pay off from us it may make sense all round.

I can see ODowda being offered a deal. I think Nige likes him and he can play in a front 3 and adds something a little different.

Cundy has been offered a deal , I imagine he will sign.

King , I didn't think he was that bad, unfortunately injuries stopped him getting any consistency . I wonder if player/coach role maybe on the cards.

Really hope they can sort Klose out soon. 

Britton has gone IMO.

Another one that could possibly go is Nahki Wells. Has said he wants and needs to play. I wouldn't be surprised if he found a Club fairly soon.

As for Bakinson. Always thought he was a very good player, with the ball at his feet, with a little time he was probably the best attacking passer at the Club. He was in a poor side that couldn't retain possession and who's forwards were as static as they could be. His problem for me was when he was closed down in possession, he could hesitate or freeze and try a panic ball. They number of times he played us into trouble was ridiculous . If he has an obvious ball or time, good player. Press and Harris him and he's lost.
Seems to need to play playing forward with runners ahead of him, but when he's in that deeper position he gets caught on the ball. Find a team & role he could be very good IMO.

One thing to think about, I remember KDB's stats for Man C .
He had a very low pass completion rate because he tried so many through balls. 
?

I wonder if this year would have helped his development , I've not seen or read much about him as I didn't't think he'd ever be back. 
I imagine he would look a lot better if he had played during our recent run. Movement ahead of him, more stable MF and more solid defence. With everyone happy to take the ball. 

That’s why I broke it down in my summary.

Heres a chart to show where he fits against all Champ CMs.  I’ve ticked some good stuff too.  I don’t think he’s a bad player per se

16087152-16C4-417F-8448-9B547EB2277E.thumb.jpeg.582576cd1140090a30d4535e431ed2ae.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I think he's good enough for the Championship but not good enough to make allowances for attitude and temperament, if that makes sense. A couple of years ago I was sat in a barbers listening to the two Italian men who worked there talking indiscreetly about another customer (who was not present). Basically their view of him was that they liked him and valued him as a customer but his attitude and assumption of how much they liked and valued him overstepped the extent that they actually did to a point where he was annoying them and they'd both rather he never returned.

It was a very weird and nuanced conversation to be listening to in a hairdressers but I also feel it may be an accurate analogy for Bakinson. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Been ok, been part of a defence that’s looked tighter. If he was 21 instead of 24 we’d probably be more glowing…but he’s taken his chance.  You are right though, it’s a low cost contract extension ultimately.

My view is better squad player than Vyner, ergo keep.

I'm assuming four at the back next season.

Extend Klose, get rid of Kalas where possible as well as Baker, Taylor Moore, and Vyner if any takers, then have Cundy as a squad option along with Towler and Idehen who for me have greater potential. Would also help cutting wage costs further.

Would give options at CB of; Klose, Atkinson, Cundy, Idehen, Towler, with a further option to be signed where we wish to loan out on of Idehen/Towler.

Would free up wages to sign a right-back, centre-mid, and winger.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fuber said:

My view is better squad player than Vyner, ergo keep.

I'm assuming four at the back next season.

Extend Klose, get rid of Kalas where possible as well as Baker, Taylor Moore, and Vyner if any takers, then have Cundy as a squad option along with Towler and Idehen who for me have greater potential. Would also help cutting wage costs further.

Would give options at CB of; Klose, Atkinson, Cundy, Idehen, Towler, with a further option to be signed where we wish to loan out on of Idehen/Towler.

Would free up wages to sign a right-back, centre-mid, and winger.

That selection of centre backs gets incredibly young and inexperienced very quickly. 

For financial reasons, it does make sense to try and sell Kalas if possible (or extend his contract on a lower wage). However, if we sell Kalas then I certainly think we'd need to sign a replacement as a priority (regardless of loans for Idehen/Towler). 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

That selection of centre backs gets incredibly young and inexperienced very quickly. 

For financial reasons, it does make sense to try and sell Kalas if possible (or extend his contract on a lower wage). However, if we sell Kalas then I certainly think we'd need to sign a replacement as a priority (regardless of loans for Idehen/Towler). 

Agreed.

But I wouldn't consider it as urgent as a full back or midfield.

Added to which, there are a fair number of centre backs available on a free or for low transfer fees this window. We're not short of options.

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

Not Bakinson.

6 hours ago, Charlie BCFC said:

Won’t be Palmer as he’s under contract unless it’s been terminated.

Think we’ll release Britton and O’Dowda

Be in talks with/retain Klose and Cundy

Unsure on King, clearly a good player off the pitch and when he’s played I don’t think he’s been bad. Not sure he’ll get much games next season though

I cannot imagine for one moment we will see Kasey Palmer retained. I’m told that according to social media, not his, that whilst we were closing off the season at Huddersfield he was free to watch Liverpool v Spurs at Anfield. 

Does that make anyone think he will be here next season!?

7 hours ago, italian dave said:

Yes, agree 100%.

I think he’s a decent player but a) suits a style of football that’s the polar opposite of Pearson’s, and b) not sure it’s championship level decent.

I think there is a huge gap in standard between the Championship  and L1. Gone are the days when the teams that came up, find themselves in the playoffs (I'm still not over 2008). The L1 teams coming up automatically (Rotherham and Wigan) have both yoyo'd between the divisions a number of times.

The same goes for players of course. Eisa, Symodics, Walsh, Moore at Blackpool, Vyner at Rotherham all looked decent at a certain level; but when it came to the Championship were found wanting in my opinion.

The same conundrum applies for Bakinson. He's looked decent at times for both Plymouth and now Ipswich (fantastic goal for them the other day) But his general passiveness is exposed massively in the championship. Yes, he got 4 goals for us last season, but his overall play is not of the required standard to progress.

Swansea have taken a chance on Walsh this season (as have Hull of course) based on what in theory he is capable of. I'm sure we'll get offers for Bakinson over the summer. But any championship club taking him on, will be shipping him out on loan to L1 within 6 months.

Some players just find the level that they are comfortable playing at.

27 minutes ago, RedM said:

I cannot imagine for one moment we will see Kasey Palmer retained. I’m told that according to social media, not his, that whilst we were closing off the season at Huddersfield he was free to watch Liverpool v Spurs at Anfield. 

Does that make anyone think he will be here next season!?

Just like my last post, I'm sure that Palmer would look top class in L1. But his current wages situation kind of precludes any team from that divison coming in for him (unless we take a massive hit on him of course).

How many teams passed on him in the Championship before? Huddersfield, Blackburn & Derby off the top of my head.

God that transfer window when we have £14m to Chelsea for Kalas, JD & of course Palmer has really come back to hit us hard hasn't it?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

And this is why my name will not be appearing in the retained list for next season……….Tired Good Night GIF by MLB

Edited by JackofromSanJavier
typo

1 hour ago, Simon bristol said:

I think our best bet for palmer, and probably wells, is to arrange a nagy type free transfer for both where we get them off the books for no more money being paid out!

That would involve some serious outlay of around £1.5 m in wages for Wells, and £1m for Palmer wouldn't it?

Ultimately someone has to pick up the bill.

I think Nagy was very open about the move, and probably facilitated it happening financially.

Maybe Wells will be willing to compromise a little bit of his promised wages at 32.

But i can't see Palmer at 25; and probably on his last big contract walking away from any contracted salary in a hurry.

Palmer is one of those players whose natural ability is Championship but his application is Bristol Suburban league (with apologies to those who play in that league). Can we free him to Ashton's Ipswich. Other than the losers between Sheff Wed and Sunderland I'm doubtful if anyone else at that level could afford his wages. Would he fancy a jaunt abroad (new start, new culture) where his laconic style might be appreciated? 

24 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Palmer is one of those players whose natural ability is Championship but his application is Bristol Suburban league (with apologies to those who play in that league). Can we free him to Ashton's Ipswich. Other than the losers between Sheff Wed and Sunderland I'm doubtful if anyone else at that level could afford his wages. Would he fancy a jaunt abroad (new start, new culture) where his laconic style might be appreciated? 

If bowyer isn’t sacked then he will go to Blues as injury prevented it happening in Jan.