IGNORED

U23’s Final - Tuesday 17th May @7pm - Ashton Gate - Free Entry For Season Ticket Holders ?

Lrrr

25 minutes ago, Puckle_red said:

My first live watch of the U23s, I enjoyed the evening. Albeit I feel a little underwhelmed about some of the quality.

Conway stood out like a sore thumb, he was excellent. Towler was more physical than others. Not much else to write home about. Our right back showed some moments of promise offensively. 

I'm not sure what I was expecting, but a little bit more, I guess. Oh the number 3 was impressive, worked hard and was consistent in what I assume wasn't his natural position at CB, once moved? 

Actually James Taylor started out of position at LB.  He’s a RB / RCB.  So ended up back in a familiar position.

I was surprised to see City set up with him at LB and Wood at RCB2 (Towler (LCB2).  Think they were concerned with Tavares pace, but as it happened Taylor handled him well.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Greedo said:

Did he say Barney Soady got offered a coaching role but chose to continue breaking into the game as a player instead? Surely I misheard. Seems bizarre otherwise?

11 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Yeah, sounds similar to Aaron Sainsbury, got taken on as an academy goalkeeper coach after he wasn't offered another playing deal. Some young players do some of their coaching badges early while still academy players so perhaps Soady did his badges early and City had an open spot for an academy coach.

I am glad you guys picked up on that, I thought I had misheard it too. Considering he was thought to be a real talent before his injury, it suggests to me that the club think his injury means he will struggle to get to a good level again.

Really enjoyed last night and great to see lots of familiar faces down there cheering the young 'uns on. 

Rose stood out for me (I'd expect Riley "Doors" Towler and Tommy Conway to look too good for this level) but the kids down the front of the Lansdown (Ashton Boys outing?) were simply embarrassing with their pathetic wannabee hooligan behaviour. Utterly ridiculous. 

Lots to look forward to if we can get a few of these players breaking into the seniors in the next couple of seasons. COYR. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Actually James Taylor started out of position at LB.  He’s a RB / RCB.  So ended up back in a familiar position.

I was surprised to see City set up with him at LB and Wood at RCB2 (Towler (LCB2).  Think they were concerned with Tavares pace, but as it happened Taylor handled him well.

I've watched and reported on most u23 fixtures this season. Never seen Taylor used on the left from memory. Odd decision that backfired early doors. With Soady being released, maybe they just wanted to try it out... 

9 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Really enjoyed last night and great to see lots of familiar faces down there cheering the young 'uns on. 

Rose stood out for me (I'd expect Riley "Doors" Towler and Tommy Conway to look too good for this level) but the kids down the front of the Lansdown (Ashton Boys outing?) were simply embarrassing with their pathetic wannabee hooligan behaviour. Utterly ridiculous. 

Lots to look forward to if we can get a few of these players breaking into the seniors in the next couple of seasons. COYR. 

I thought it was great atmosphere and we really enjoyed it but I agree, those kids were as you said, embarrassing. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mad Cyril said:

Good game, Coventry just more clinical with the few chances they got.

One moan though... for the last 10 minutes, Zack Bell was crippled with cramp. Unlike Coventry, No one on our bench had packed any gels or salts, which Conway was screaming to give him. Ffs amateur hour.

That's embarrassing for a professional club.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I thought Kadji was poor, coasted, doesn’t track men or check his shoulders.  Really disappointed by him.  I spent most of my time watching him and Zac Bell who impressed again.

First time I’ve seen Rose, did well.

Wood got exposed quite a few times, but less so when he swapped with Taylor, who gave the best performance I’ve seen from him.

Conway was excellent.

I'm glad you noticed that as well Dave. I watched it yesterday, and wasn't going to comment as it felt negative in a decent performance.

I thought all of the City players showed class, skill, concentration, work rate, decent decision making etc...many beyond their years.

However... Kadji was the one who stood out as not having all those qualities. It's obvious he has ability... But his decision making on when or where to pass, or turn was poor imo. Vision and tracking poor as well. 

I can see what he was trying to do at times...but often it was too risky and put us back under pressure. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, spudski said:

I can see what he was trying to do at times...but often it was too risky and put us back under pressure. 

Yep, stuff you get away with at u18, but not u23s…where opponents are a bit more savvy and physical.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

We could have played with Semenyo, Scott, Beanrous, Idehen (if both fit) , Massengo, and Tanner . We will have to expect that not every player coming through will make it, but of the team last night, I would expect Bell, Conway , Towler  Zac Bell , and Edwards to have league careers. I have not seen enough of the others to judge yet. But I also anticipate that in future years, half of our squad will have come through the academy, or signed at under 21 (not maybe starting 11 , you get the idea) . It is such a massive change , and the fact we know the names of so many youth players , represents how much progress Tins and Nige have made, by being integrated. You can see already a shift in the physical attributes of players we are bringing into the youth groups. IMHO this is a massive step forward for the future of our club, and we will become a hot bed for young talent if they know they have a pathway. It is a strategy, a different one, and one that you can get behind. 

It doesn't seem that long ago that fans were saying the academy was a waste of time. How different it is today. Club doing a fantastic job.

I've always followed from afar development football. Wish I had the time to follow more. 

You definitely get more from following the Club, rather than just the first team. Watching a players development, or from being Scouted, through to Pro contacts and League football is a joy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, spudski said:

It doesn't seem that long ago that fans were saying the academy was a waste of time. How different it is today. Club doing a fantastic job.

I've always followed from afar development football. Wish I had the time to follow more. 

You definitely get more from following the Club, rather than just the first team. Watching a players development, or from being Scouted, through to Pro contacts and League football is a joy.

Let's not count our chickens too early, our past performances in attracting and developing youngsters is nothing to write home about. 

Admittedly it looks better now but still no guarantee this, or future crops of youngsters will see a n increase in championship level performers

19 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Let's not count our chickens too early, our past performances in attracting and developing youngsters is nothing to write home about. 

Admittedly it looks better now but still no guarantee this, or future crops of youngsters will see a n increase in championship level performers

Blimey ,

There doesn’t appear to be literally anything about our Club that you like , or you can show any enthusiasm or hope about - it seems to give you nil pleasure.

Ive followed the Club for decades , and had a fair picture for most , of our pre-pro set ups .

The current set up , and the number and quality of the young players,  is considerably better than we’ve had in my time.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, frenchred said:

There's already progress though. Between Leroy Lita and Joe Bryan, I can only think of two players (James Wilson and Christian Ribeiro) who briefly broke into our first team and neither really established themselves.

Of our current first team squad listed on our website, 10 of the 26 players listed came (at least in part) through our development squad. Eight of those ten have - at some point or other this season - started successive games through being the preferred choice in that position (rather than because injuries forced their selection). Two have made over 30 appearances, four have made over 20 and seven made more than 10. I don't see how anyone can see that as anything other than progress.

And we certainly don't need to wait and see if Scott or Semenyo will be Championship level performers. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

There's already progress though. Between Leroy Lita and Joe Bryan, I can only think of two players (James Wilson and Christian Ribeiro) who briefly broke into our first team and neither really established themselves.

Of our current first team squad listed on our website, 10 of the 26 players listed came (at least in part) through our development squad. Eight of those ten have - at some point or other this season - started successive games through being the preferred choice in that position (rather than because injuries forced their selection). Two have made over 30 appearances, four have made over 20 and seven made more than 10. I don't see how anyone can see that as anything other than progress.

And we certainly don't need to wait and see if Scott or Semenyo will be Championship level performers. 

Well said! The numbers who are getting early match time, well exceeds the AD late 1960 early 1970 period and where did that take us?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Sorry are you watching the same team/club ? Why mention the past , when the current is so evidently, and blindingly obviously different, and you have Scott and Semenyo being talked about as £20m players. Wow just wow. 

We are also trying to produce first team players for Championship Level 

To produce any or some is no easy task 

To get them from Schoolboys to Championship First team level is a massive challenge for any player and any club - so many levels to punch through

No one produces them like a factory production line

Considering our status in the Football pyramid , we really are developing well behind the first team.

Its not just the work within the system but , it strongly appears , our recruitment for the Academy and age groups

We are not just sitting and hoping that those produced through the age group academies will provide but constantly looking to add to the scholars and young pros from various sources (Scott and Antoine prime examples)

We can thank Brian Tinnion for Antoine and Tony Vance / Brian Tinnion for Alex Scott

if you listen to some of the recent podcasts and interviews there is real thought and a individual plan for how these players are then individually developed.

For all of our jokes about the ‘High Performance Centre’ the fact that our young developing players are in the same environment , and training with , the first team is a really significant and positive step for the health , and long term health of the Club ,  in terms of developing our up and coming

• Like 8
  • Robin 1

8 hours ago, frenchred said:

Apart form brown coles Bryan lita Reid Scott Bell Jr countless players now at torquay....

13 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Seen those lads at the front of the lansdown on robins TV yep pretty embarrassing.

I enjoyed the game Conway definitely has something about him, Rose looked good,Owers solid as always, Thomas looked a unit and he impressed after coming on as did Backwell looked a player and one outstanding pass he played he impressed me, kadji looked to be a little casual at times but did play some good balls,Edwards is lighting if he can work on his final ball he can become a quality player.I think defensively we looked very flat footed and they ran through us.Overall I think the lads done good and we certainly have players coming through in midfield and forward Areas.

Edited by Street red
  • Like 2

Conway was probably the best player in our team on the pitch. Expected Bell to be better at that level but just didn’t get going.

Owura Edwards final ball let him down at times, was through early on in the first half with 2 men in front & a really bad pass meant we didn’t capitalise. But can also see he’s played some league football. Kept going past his man with ease. 

Kadji had a poor game, reminded me a little of those Bakinson performances you’d get where he’s wanting a bit too much time on the ball & it catches him out. 

Zac Bell looked alright, blowing in the second half

Really liked the look of Backwell, got stuck in & would like to see him play again. 

Coventry captain number 20 in CM (quick check of their Twitter Jonny Ngandu) looked very good & surprised me to see he’d not played league football. 

Just seen they’ve actually released him, interesting to see where he ends up.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/transfer-news/coventry-city-transfers-jonny-ngandu-23989410

Edited by Carey 6
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Conway was probably the best player in our team on the pitch. Expected Bell to be better at that level but just didn’t get going.

Owura Edwards final ball let him down at times, was through early on in the first half with 2 men in front & a really bad pass meant we didn’t capitalise. But can also see he’s played some league football. Kept going past his man with ease. 

Kadji had a poor game, reminded me a little of those Bakinson performances you’d get where he’s wanting a bit too much time on the ball & it catches him out. 

Zac Bell looked alright, blowing in the second half

Really liked the look of Backwell, got stuck in & would like to see him play again. 

Coventry captain number 20 in CM (quick check of their Twitter Jonny Ngandu) looked very good & surprised me to see he’d not played league football. 

Just seen they’ve actually released him, interesting to see where he ends up.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/transfer-news/coventry-city-transfers-jonny-ngandu-23989410

I liked their CM #39 and LB #48.  The LB in particular played like a senior pro.  Found out he is Josh Reid, 20, signed from Ross County for an undisclosed fee (rumours of £300k and upwards).  The CM is 18 year old Ryan Holley.  Tavares was obviously very tidy, has played in their first team, signed from Rochdale.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, billywedlock said:

We could have played with Semenyo, Scott, Beanrous, Idehen (if both fit) , Massengo, and Tanner . We will have to expect that not every player coming through will make it, but of the team last night, I would expect Bell, Conway , Towler  Zac Bell , and Edwards to have league careers. I have not seen enough of the others to judge yet. But I also anticipate that in future years, half of our squad will have come through the academy, or signed at under 21 (not maybe starting 11 , you get the idea) . It is such a massive change , and the fact we know the names of so many youth players , represents how much progress Tins and Nige have made, by being integrated. You can see already a shift in the physical attributes of players we are bringing into the youth groups. IMHO this is a massive step forward for the future of our club, and we will become a hot bed for young talent if they know they have a pathway. It is a strategy, a different one, and one that you can get behind. 

Yeah that's a good point. I really enjoy seeing young lads come through and in to the first team too. 

I think I was expecting more from the lads I'd not seen live before (no first team appearances). But it seems some are 16, 17 or 18 which means they have time to develop. 

On a more positive note, one thing that stood out to me was their understanding of their role in the team, they all held their positions well and worked as a team rather than a group of individuals. Fingers crossed a few more emerge in and around the first team next season. COYR

• Like 3