IGNORED

LJ to Hibs

ScottishRed

According to BBC Sport he is on their short list of 4 for final interview later this week. 

Given that he spent some time as a player at Hearts that will not go down too well.

Appleton is apparently also on the short list - Swiss Tony as CEO?  Would not be a surprise.

Edited by ScottishRed

There would be a weird bit of symmetry with his old assistant if he went there - perhaps the two have spoken.

Heckingbottom took over from him at Barnsley as caretaker when LJ joined us and duly won the JPT and Play Offs and leapfrogged us in the Championship the following season before getting Leeds job (only match vs City 2-2 at Elland Rd).

He was binned off after only half a season for Bielsa - and rebuilt his career managing Hibernian before returning south to coach and then manage Sheffield United who he now has in the Championship play offs. Hibs seemed a useful reboot.

• Like 2

This would be such a terrible move for him. I can’t believe his stock wasn’t higher after leaving us. It’s not like he left us at the bottom of the league after years of fighting relegation. Definitely deserved another club at our level. If he goes up there and it goes wrong he’ll do well to get above league 2, if it goes right it doesn’t really increase his stock anymore. Odd decision for him. Should hang on and wait for something like Rotherham or Peterborough. Even Derby should Rooney not stay. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Hmmm 2

38 minutes ago, Negan said:

This would be such a terrible move for him. I can’t believe his stock wasn’t higher after leaving us. It’s not like he left us at the bottom of the league after years of fighting relegation. Definitely deserved another club at our level. If he goes up there and it goes wrong he’ll do well to get above league 2, if it goes right it doesn’t really increase his stock anymore. Odd decision for him. Should hang on and wait for something like Rotherham or Peterborough. Even Derby should Rooney not stay. 

He messed up at Sunderland when he suffered two hammerings in quick succession and pissing off some of the senior players which probably contributed to those heavy defeats and any stock he may have had dipped significantly. I read that he was shortlisted for the Barnsley job but obviously never got.

LJ is what I call a ‘theoretical’ manager. Knows all there is to know about the game but who lacks motivational skills.  He’ll do what his father has done - wander from club to club in the lower leagues and in his case, Scottish football - the Championship will be as good as it gets in his career.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Negan said:

I didn't think his stock was particularly high, so wasn't surprised he ended up lower. I think other clubs would see he had a pretty healthy budget, and in 5 years achieved a single top 10 finish. Who's going to afford him more money/time than that?

He needs an achievement on his CV so I thought Sunderland was the right sort of place for him to go, and he was doing pretty well there. Not sure Hibs is a great move for him personally.

• Like 2

I don’t think it’s necessarily a bad move. Hibs are a good size and well supported. They’ve also been absolutely terrible this year, currently in 8th. It would be almost impossible to do worse. If he can get them above Hearts, he’ll be a hero. If he can get them to third, he’s in Europe.

If he messes it up though, I’d say it’s game over.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

He messed up at Sunderland when he suffered two hammerings in quick succession and pissing off some of the senior players which probably contributed to those heavy defeats and any stock he may have had dipped significantly. I read that he was shortlisted for the Barnsley job but obviously never got.

LJ is what I call a ‘theoretical’ manager. Knows all there is to know about the game but who lacks motivational skills.  He’ll do what his father has done - wander from club to club in the lower leagues and in his case, Scottish football - the Championship will be as good as it gets in his career.

I think you’re right. And more and more so in the modern game, it’s about having the rights skills alongside you as part of a team. 

At City he didn’t have that - and certainly didn’t get it with Ashton. I’m not sure who he had with him at Sunderland.

Its something we’ve struggled with at City more generally I think. We’ve had our tacticians, our coaches, our motivators but we’ve not managed to combine all those skills either at the same time or in one person, 

• Like 2

Must admit I had Charlton down as a likelier destination.

Hibs are by Scottish standards one of the biggest clubs outside the Old Firm, also not sure how much of an impact playing 4 games for Hearts 16 years ago would have on any reaction to his appointment.

Success for them, Hearts or Aberdeen is finishing third, if he gets it then it will be interesting to see how he gets on.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Must admit I had Charlton down as a likelier destination.

Hibs are by Scottish standards one of the biggest clubs outside the Old Firm, also not sure how much of an impact playing 4 games for Hearts 16 years ago would have on any reaction to his appointment.

Success for them, Hearts or Aberdeen is finishing third, if he gets it then it will be interesting to see how he gets on.

Charlton... mid table league one.... decent team under Curbs back in the day

38 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I think you’re right. And more and more so in the modern game, it’s about having the rights skills alongside you as part of a team. 

At City he didn’t have that - and certainly didn’t get it with Ashton. I’m not sure who he had with him at Sunderland.

Its something we’ve struggled with at City more generally I think. We’ve had our tacticians, our coaches, our motivators but we’ve not managed to combine all those skills either at the same time or in one person, 

From what I’ve seen of Nige so far he fits that description pretty well - the first one since Danny Wilson.

• Hmmm 1

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

When he was sacked he was the current manager of the month and they were top before the hammering weren’t they? I still think it was a stupid sacking and unnecessary  regardless of whether they go up in playoffs, they were fighting for auto’s under LJ

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

LJ is what I call a ‘theoretical’ manager. Knows all there is to know about the game but who lacks motivational skills. 

Agree - though I would replace the word "motivational" with "practical". I think it's a variety of practical skills that he lacked when with us. (I also think that the concept of "motivation" is extremely overhyped when it comes to the job of a football manager).

Hopefully he will improve the practical elements of his management with time and experience. I'd quite like things to work out well for him. 

3 hours ago, Negan said:

Should hang on and wait for something like Rotherham or Peterborough.

Was already approached by Posh after Ferguson left, but not interested apparently. 

I suppose there's a reasonable case to be made that Hibs is a bigger job. Bigger fanbase, more chance of silverware, and European football.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, Negan said:

He turned down Peterborough.

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

Still haven't.

Just my take, but maybe Sunderland humbled him a bit? He got too used to the cozy times at City. 

Possibly he's self aware of all this now and wants to build himself up again, and Hibs is a club that doesn't demand too much so he can build. I think he'll do well there.  

This is completely an outside look in, for all we know Hibs was the only club interested and he's just taking it because he can. 

Edited by Sturny

3 hours ago, Negan said:

If he does well at Hibs then he will probably be back at Championship level. Look at Mcinnes and Alex Neil.

• Like 1

I could see LJ doing well at a team like MK Dons should Manning leave. 

The club already have a structure in place, and a way of playing out from the back. They like to dominate possession and have many quality young players. 

The groundwork has been layed out at MK Dons, and if he was willing to adapt to their style of play, then he could fit in well there.

The football we showed on the Carabao cup semi-final season was very similar to the way in which MK Dons play now. If he can replicate that, then he could be a success.