IGNORED

LJ to Hibs

ScottishRed

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

He messed up at Sunderland when he suffered two hammerings in quick succession and pissing off some of the senior players which probably contributed to those heavy defeats 

I don't know why you feel it necessary to make things up to support your views.

LJ lost ONE game 5 0. 

The previous 5 league games they were unbeaten and that run included a 3-0 and a 5-0 win , the others were a win v Plymouth and draws with Ipswich and Oxford. 

This is definitely true as 

results are on their OS !

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

But he still won’t get a promotion on his CV! 

27 minutes ago, Street red said:

Even Barton's got one of those..?

Does anyone know roughly what percentage of active EFL managers actually have a promotion on their CV? Or equally, the age at which the average manager wins his first promotion? or the frequency with which the average manager wins promotion? (e.g. once in every 15 seasons). 

I recall people quite frequently using the "no promotions as a manager" stick to beat LJ in the past and always felt like this might be a little harsh given how few years he'd been in management.

2 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

I don't know why you feel it necessary to make things up to support your views.

LJ lost ONE game 5 0. 

The previous 5 league games they were unbeaten and that run included a 3-0 and a 5-0 win , the others were a win v Plymouth and draws with Ipswich and Oxford. 

This is definitely true as 

results are on their OS !

It was 6-0 actually at Bolton, but your general point is correct, as they beat Pompey in the game before.

26 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Does anyone know roughly what percentage of active EFL managers actually have a promotion on their CV? Or equally, the age at which the average manager wins his first promotion? or the frequency with which the average manager wins promotion? (e.g. once in every 15 seasons). 

I recall people quite frequently using the "no promotions as a manager" stick to beat LJ in the past and always felt like this might be a little harsh given how few years he'd been in management.

Yes...and just to be clear my comment wasn't intended as a dig at LJ - I am not in the camp that like to use that stick. I just found it funny - given how often that stick is used - that he might go somewhere where he couldn't get a promotion!

49 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

I was one of those using that particular stick to beat LJ,  He's been a manager for over 8 seasons and 449 games - he's actually managed more games than he played (405). He's had just the one top 6 finish with Sunderland (4th).  So he can no longer be classed as an "up and coming coach" and must IMO be judged on his record...................which is average.

At one time there were very few managers in the Championship without a promotion on their CV but that's now changed, Steve Cooper for example doesn't have a promotion but he has reached the play offs in every season he's been the head coach!

Like Sunderland, would be a hell of a risk. Would be great for his stock if successful, but would hugely damage it if not. Just look at Sunderland gig, didn’t work, and now he’s gonna really struggle to get a solid top L1 job again, no Doubt why he’s talking to Hibs now

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

From what I’ve seen of Nige so far he fits that description pretty well - the first one since Danny Wilson.

Danny Wilson??  You’re having a laugh!!  The only thing he managed to do was build an attractive squad which achieved almost nothing, not least because he wasn’t a strong enough manager to sort out the drinking culture that was ruining our club.  A dreadful waste of time and money.  Astonishing that some fans still seem to think he was a good manager.  He wasn’t.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Robbored said:

They got hammered at least twice and iirc both heavy defeats weren’t  too man games apart.

They lost 3-1 to Lincoln 3 weeks before - hardly a hammering - and those ( Bolton & Lincoln) were their only 2 defeats during the whole of December and January. 

You're worse than Boris for making things up !

14 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Fairly sure LJ was sacked from Sunderland whilst being the current Manager of the month. I couldnt give a monkeys really, but it still seems an odd decision.

Jamie McAllister told a friend of mine that their sackings ‘were a complete surprise at the time’ and ‘neither of us saw it coming’.

48 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Fairly sure LJ was sacked from Sunderland whilst being the current Manager of the month. I couldnt give a monkeys really, but it still seems an odd decision.

Would they be in the play off final if they still had LJ? Difficult to say… they might have got autos, they might have missed out all together.

But I bet most Mackems are happy with the decision to sack. 

Edit: just looked and they are happy. The general consensus is that he played very good football, but couldn’t sort their defence for shit. Which is bizarre because that’s almost the polar opposite of how he was here*. 

*barring the carabao cup 6 months. 

Edited by Fordy62

7 hours ago, Negan said:

This would be such a terrible move for him. I can’t believe his stock wasn’t higher after leaving us. It’s not like he left us at the bottom of the league after years of fighting relegation. Definitely deserved another club at our level. If he goes up there and it goes wrong he’ll do well to get above league 2, if it goes right it doesn’t really increase his stock anymore. Odd decision for him. Should hang on and wait for something like Rotherham or Peterborough. Even Derby should Rooney not stay. 

The issue is if you look at the more of our finances have been in due to the onset of his reign, it's doesn't read well.

Granted, year on year improvement.

However over the same period as noted elsewhere on this forum, wages to turnover rose 50%, irrespective of having Ashton above him, he himself stated he had final sign off on signings.

Hence nobody else in the championship coming in for him.

His man management is simply not good enough. See Fielding/Wilbs comments, etc. Similar at Sunderland it seems.

3 hours ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Quite. And of the one's who've got one, who has got another?

Talking of Sottish football....which i rarely can be bothered with.............I see there's a real tense game tonight?  .........Celtic, only 45 points ahead of tonight's  opponents, can clinch  "Yawn!!"  the title tonight?  Why   don't they have a two legged game against Rangers in August, then just have the next 8 months off?  ..............or even better still,  add them to the English Championship, and see if they can both avoid being relegated???

18 hours ago, maxjak said:

Talking of Sottish football....which i rarely can be bothered with.............I see there's a real tense game tonight?  .........Celtic, only 45 points ahead of tonight's  opponents, can clinch  "Yawn!!"  the title tonight?  Why   don't they have a two legged game against Rangers in August, then just have the next 8 months off?  ..............or even better still,  add them to the English Championship, and see if they can both avoid being relegated???

Remind me how Rangers did in Europe this year?  

• Like 3

On 11/05/2022 at 13:28, Bouncearoundtheground said:

Would have thought he’s got one eye on the Forest Green situation now.

I don’t believe he’s interested in the FGR job. Maybe in a couple of years with the new stadium, better finances, etc, but not now. 
I also don’t believe the Hibs role is one he’s keen on. I’m thinking more League 1. Charlton was a decent shout from Graham, above. I wouldn’t rule out a return to Barnsley either. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Remind me how Rangers did in Europe this year?  

Every dog has its day.................and they haven't won anything yet?   One of the main reasons they have had success in Europe IMHO  is due to the fact  they only play 4 or 5 difficult domestic games a season.....whereas Premier League sides hardly ever have an easy game?

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 2