IGNORED

LJ to Hibs

ScottishRed

2 hours ago, maxjak said:

Every dog has its day.................and they haven't won anything yet?   One of the main reasons they have had success in Europe IMHO  is due to the fact  they only play 4 or 5 difficult domestic games a season.....whereas Premier League sides hardly ever have an easy game?

I am ABSOLUTELY NO FAN of either of the bigot brothers, BUT, Rangers have done well to get to the final. 

It is a great achievement, much as I despise them.

So many on here do not understand the whole issue with these two odious clubs. As a Scot, who has spent half his life around here - and I am in my sixties, I know it only too well .

Edited by ScottishRed
  • Like 4

On 11/05/2022 at 10:48, RedM said:

Maybe he like Scotland from when he was there as a player? Will McAllister link up with him again?

I think Hibs is more likely than some clubs he has been previously linked to.

Well, that’s interesting, although having followed The Jags home and away thoughout the 1980s and 1990s I know how much club loyalty means to Scottish football fans - the fact both Lee Johnson and Jamie McAllister played for the Jam Tarts would instantly turn an Easter Road crowd against them - despite futile attempts from south of the border to play down and ridicule Scottish football, I have never witnessed passion, rivalry hatred, getting behind your team and obviously caring so bl**dy much as I did during my many years following the Harry Wraggs from Maryhill - some of the memories still move me to tears ... as you were ?✌️?

7 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

I am ABSOLUTELY NO FAN of either of the bigot brothers, BUT, Rangers have done well to get to the final.

Rangers have done very well. 

"it's easier because they only play 5 domestic games a season' is one of the laziest cliches around. I'll accept it potentially means some of your players may feel a bit fresher - but to go from being a Rangers/Celtic player domestically, where you get 80% of the ball, every team sits on their 18 yard box and you get 20 chances a game - to then playing in europe against teams level or above you, is very difficult.

That in particular is where Rangers are due credit. They've fallen short in the league - but it's impressive the way GvB has adapted his group of players and his tactics to go from domestic games to countering the likes of Dortmund and RB Leipzig.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Well, that’s interesting, although having followed The Jags home and away thoughout the 1980s and 1990s I know how much club loyalty means to Scottish football fans - the fact both Lee Johnson and Jamie McAllister played for the Jam Tarts would instantly turn an Easter Road crowd against them - despite futile attempts from south of the border to play down and ridicule Scottish football, I have never witnessed passion, rivalry hatred, getting behind your team and obviously caring so bl**dy much as I did during my many years following the Harry Wraggs from Maryhill - some of the memories still move me to tears ... as you were ?✌️?

I guess I was thinking more about a return to Scotland in general and not take into account such fierce rivalry and feeling. He wouldn’t be given a fair chance from the start, but then again I guess that won’t be the first time. On reflection, not such a good move for him.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Serious question, Lee Johnson played just 4 games for Hearts & that was 16 years ago now.

McAllister played around 50, though I would certainly accept as a Scot he might be more closely linked to them, but would such a frankly tenuous connection on LJ’s part really matter?

I honestly believe that if we appointed a manager who has played so few games as this for Rovers the vast majority of fans would not care.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Scottish football is an incredibly passionate affair of course, doesn't change the fact that quality has been historically lacking and hasn't really improved much in recent years aside from Rangers and Celtic. 

15 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

Well LJ's not in Edinburgh today for an interview, as I've just seen him out walking in Clifton,  having a lengthy phone conversation. Probably with Dale Vince I should think ;)

His kid goes to school in Clifton so you probs saw him after the school run 

I think LJ did a much more solid job than us that he sometimes gets credit for but I don't know that he did enough of a good job with us or at the other clubs he has been with to make the top of shortlists for most Championship or even League 1 or SPL clubs.

I'd imagine his name will come up quite a bit as an option when boards compile shortlists and that he probably will sometimes end up being one of the five or six managers that are being considered for roles but I could easily imagine him in a situation where he struggles to get job not because he's unemployable but because, with any vacancy, there's always a more employable candidate. 

On 13/05/2022 at 16:02, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Man City PPG this season 2.47, Liverpool 2.38. Celtic 2.43, Rangers 2.32. Pub league that EPL. 

I suppose the difference is that the likes of Taylor Moore could play for all bar two of the sides in the SPL and would not even get close to the bench for Norwich. He’d struggle to get on the bench for us tbf.

26 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Celtic celebrate their league win by beating   the 5th place side, Motherwell 6-0 , who were 44 points behind them prior to kick off.   Scottish football is so edge of the seat, and overwhelmingly exciting ?      ? 

Difference between first & 4th (Arsenal) in the Prem is currently 23 points, first to sixth is 31,  not as much I grant you, but our top league has been going the same way for a while.

Scotland is like Portugal & The Netherlands, a couple of really big teams who regularly play minnows.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Difference between first & 4th (Arsenal) in the Prem is currently 23 points, first to sixth is 31,  not as much I grant you, but our top league has been going the same way for a while.

Scotland is like Portugal & The Netherlands, a couple of really big teams who regularly play minnows.

Our top league has been going the same way? Not quite?............it's not constantly dominated by 2 just clubs.  The example of the anomaly of the Leicester win in '16 could never, ever be replicated in Scotland........at least not since 37 years ago?

Edited by maxjak

2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

I suppose the difference is that the likes of Taylor Moore could play for all bar two of the sides in the SPL and would not even get close to the bench for Norwich. He’d struggle to get on the bench for us tbf.

Yes, although TM hasn’t torn up trees for Hearts and is getting sent back as not good enough is the vibe? Is the EPL a higher standard than the SPL, yes, but the SPL has a Europa League finalist with PPG that implies no more of a two horse race than the EPL, so also seems plausible that it’s not a ‘pub league’ as some of the lazier posters on here and elsewhere would imply. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Yes, although TM hasn’t torn up trees for Hearts and is getting sent back as not good enough is the vibe? Is the EPL a higher standard than the SPL, yes, but the SPL has a Europa League finalist with PPG that implies no more of a two horse race than the EPL, so also seems plausible that it’s not a ‘pub league’ as some of the lazier posters on here and elsewhere would imply. 

I really like this chart:

image.thumb.jpeg.78d17888f0555faf8764783fe5009584.jpeg

Top 2 in Scotland would be a top team in the Champ, whilst an average team in Scotland is top half Lg1.

I do think Scottish football is improving though.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Top 2 in Scotland would be a top team in the Champ, whilst an average team in Scotland is top half Lg1.

Think that’s a pretty fair assessment (SPL a long way above pub league, but below the top 2 leagues in England). Not entirely convinced by MLS, but hey ho. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

For context : Gasheads finished third in the bottom of all those leagues. ?

• Haha 2

On 14/05/2022 at 21:08, The Swan and Cemetery said:

It's obviously not a pub league but the difference in quality is pretty clear. Outside the top 2 it's top end championship standard at best, that's not the case with the Premier League.