IGNORED

LJ to Hibs

ScottishRed

12 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

If you check the wage bills, outside of the Glasgow 2 , the wages are L1 at best. 8 clubs under £2m a year . Hibs 5th highest with £3m a year. Rangers was less than ours 2 years ago., and now in low £30 millions. 

They must be pushing the envelope a little more this year then, although I guess the signings are top end L1 rather than Championship.

30 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

If you check the wage bills, outside of the Glasgow 2 , the wages are L1 at best. 8 clubs under £2m a year . Hibs 5th highest with £3m a year. Rangers was less than ours 2 years ago., and now in low £30 millions. 

Pretty much in agreement.

This is a good guide of how SPL compare on the pitch and finances often reflect this to a degree.

image.thumb.jpeg.955d56189c3c82e168e21d4cd0a95d18.jpeg

The big 2 are way out in front of the others.  My gut feel is that Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts are the next tier, but financially they are probably somewhere around the budgets of Lg1.  @BLRedpossibly over-egged them a bit when we were chatting yesterday, they are more Lg1 than the Champ / Lg1 rebounders like a Rotherham or a Wigan.

Their total staff wage bill was:

image.thumb.png.33bdd0a485086799f660faa1e4ff3177.png

So football side around the £4m mark I reckon.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

My view is that LJ had the option to play Academy players, but between him, MA and SL, chose to go and bring players in from outside….Marinovic, Rodri, anyone???

Players like Joe Morrell, stopped from going out on loan in January, having made a few appearances…never then made the 18.  The argument will be “well he’s at Pompei now, he obviously wasn’t good enough”.  The counter is, was Towler, was Bell, was Conway, etc, when they came in.

From memory, the only academy player that really broke through was Lloyd Kelly.

LJ had the opportunity the blood academy players, but imho, he decided to go a different route.

Few factors in that of course, you tell LJ he only has to finish lower mid table rather than top 6 and he probably uses more academy players rather than bringing in the likes of Rodri, Marinovic etc. Blooding them is one thing but when your job depends on you finishing in the play offs you'd be hard pressed to find many coaches who'd take untried academy players over senior players to get a result. Bar Morrell our current crop of academy players are better than those that LJ had available to him, even on Morrell though he wanted to bring him back from Lincoln to be involved Jan 2020 and got told he couldn't.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Falkirk 1 - 0 Hibernian 

For those who don’t follow Scottish football, Falkirk are in the third tier.

Not a pre-season friendly, proper competitive game.

Yes a very poor result for Hibs. Although a little context, Falkirk might be third tier, but they are arguably one of the biggest clubs outside the top flight. They are full time and capable of 5,000+ attendances even in the third tier. That said, the result puts a bit of pressure on Johnson and he'll need to bounce back with a handsome win in the next group match. Elimination at this stage would be unthinkable for the club.

13 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

Yes a very poor result for Hibs. Although a little context, Falkirk might be third tier, but they are arguably one of the biggest clubs outside the top flight. They are full time and capable of 5,000+ attendances even in the third tier. That said, the result puts a bit of pressure on Johnson and he'll need to bounce back with a handsome win in the next group match. Elimination at this stage would be unthinkable for the club.

Agreed. My hometown team, Dunfermline Athletic, are one of Falkirks biggest, if not their biggest rivals.

DAFC, were relegated last season and despite that huge disappointment, the fans are looking forward to the ‘derby’ games. I think you will find that 5k attendances are more than a little rare, but possible a few times a year.

Falkirk recently had a meeting with supporters and admitted that they are losing £1m a year, which is unsustainable. 

It puts into context tonight’s result.

10 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Agreed. My hometown team, Dunfermline Athletic, are one of Falkirks biggest, if not their biggest rivals.

DAFC, were relegated last season and despite that huge disappointment, the fans are looking forward to the ‘derby’ games. I think you will find that 5k attendances are more than a little rare, but possible a few times a year.

Falkirk recently had a meeting with supporters and admitted that they are losing £1m a year, which is unsustainable. 

It puts into context tonight’s result.

I'm sure there will be attendances well in excess of 5,000 at all four fixtures between the two,  if as expected both Falkirk and Dunfermline are challenging for the third tier title this season.

18 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Agreed. My hometown team, Dunfermline Athletic, are one of Falkirks biggest, if not their biggest rivals...

I thought there was no love lost between the Pars and East Fife? I actually had a couple of nights out with Jim Leishman when he was the Dunfermline gaffer and he waxed lyrical about his club’s hatred for East Fife! 

1 hour ago, sglosbcfc said:

I have just read the fans report and he apparently played 6 "2nd stringers" in the 1st half and hooked 4 of them at half time. They were much better in the 2nd half but Falkirks goalie had a blinder.

They aren't happy obviously, but consensus seemed to be that he made the mistake of assuming that Falkirk would offer the same as last week's opponents and has learned a lesson.

27 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I thought there was no love lost between the Pars and East Fife? I actually had a couple of nights out with Jim Leishman when he was the Dunfermline gaffer and he waxed lyrical about his club’s hatred for East Fife! 

Kelty Hearts in the mix this season too, only 15 minutes "into town" as my brother used to say about Dunfermline when he lived in Kelty. :)

• Like 3

12 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

There was real rivalries between all 4 Fife teams but as the years have passed that has disapated to a certain extent. Mainly due to East Fife’s and Cowdenbeaths demise down the leagues.

Big Jim - what a man! 

Was treated very badly by the club in the early 80’s and left / was fired.

This led to protest marches from the town to the ground on match days, led by the late great Stuart Adamson of Big Country and The Skids.

Stuart was a huge Pars fan but none  of the corporate stuff for him, you would see him on the terraces if he was not away working.

Edited by ScottishRed
  • Like 1
  • Flames 2

17 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

There was real rivalries between all 4 Fife teams but as the years have passed that has disapated to a certain extent. Mainly due to East Fife’s and Cowdenbeaths demise down the leagues.

Big Jim - what a man! 

This led to protest marches from the town to the ground on match days, led by the late great Stuart Adamson of Big Country and The Skids.

Stuart was a huge Pars fan but none  of the corporate stuff for him, you would see him on the terraces if he was not away working.

Stuart Adamson, R.I.P. such a waste to loose him so young. Superb song writer and front man, and as you alluded to a genuine ‘ man of  the people’.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

9 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

Big Jim - what a man! 

Yes I heard the traditional rivalry was between Dunfermline, Raith, Cowdenbeath and East Fife, but as East Fife and Cowdenbeath  have struggled to keep pace (similar to Gas ?)then Dunfermline have developed bigger rivalries with Raith and Falkirk who are often in their division. 

• Like 1

On 12/07/2022 at 22:07, ScottishRed said:

Falkirk 1 - 0 Hibernian 

For those who don’t follow Scottish football, Falkirk are in the third tier.

Not a pre-season friendly, proper competitive game.

His post match interview cropped up on a social media feed (not sure why?)

Don't worry if you didn't catch it, you've seen it dozens of times before:

We deserved to win 

I'm disappointed

We were well prepared, great game-plan, not my fault, players need to look at themselves

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

His post match interview cropped up on a social media feed (not sure why?)

Don't worry if you didn't catch it, you've seen it dozens of times before:

We deserved to win 

I'm disappointed

We were well prepared, great game-plan, not my fault, players need to look at themselves

Didn’t watch the interview on the BBC Football site but the headline was that he was ‘bored’ by their second half performance.

Nothing changes with Lee.

I think he needs to be careful in what he says to the media up there much more so than do here. It truly is a goldfish bowl and Hibs owner is not known for his patience. The much lauded Shaun Maloney, who remember, was assistant manager of Belgium before he joined Hibs, lasted 4 months!

• Like 1

Hibs will be definitely knocked out (it was likely they wouldn't have qualified anyway) from one of the two competitions they could realistically win this season. He better start the league season well and get them safely in the top six or the pressure will build straight away. The squad is decent so they should have got out of that cup group.

• Like 1

So at the end of their last match they were booed off and Macca put his finger to his lips to silence the fans ?

According to their fans the recruitment has been very poor and LJ has told then it will take a few transfer windows to be able to challenge the top 2.

I get the feeling if he makes a mess of it here he is finished in management.

1 hour ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

So at the end of their last match they were booed off and Macca put his finger to his lips to silence the fans ?

According to their fans the recruitment has been very poor and LJ has told then it will take a few transfer windows to be able to challenge the top 2.

I get the feeling if he makes a mess of it here he is finished in management.

So he should be, never should have been given a chance as a player at our level or manager at any level, zero man management skills, but talks great bullshit and so mamy idiots fooled by the patter.

Will get another job somewhere, always another idiot blinded by the CV.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1