IGNORED

LJ to Hibs

ScottishRed

18 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Unless Lee is turning down Championship clubs every month and we're not aware of it? Were Posh interested? Does that count?

Yes, they were but LJ wasn't interested.

Whilst Sunderland might not be in the Championship, it was the biggest job in L1 and they are a huge club. Should be in the Prem and a far bigger club than us. So, I'd argue not exactly your typical L1 job.

15 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Pretty sure LJ/JM turned them down. Being a championship club at the time, it does count.

Re: Sunderland. Anyone watching them this second half of the season will surely have noticed how instrumental Alex Pritchard was for them. He has said himself he credits that to Johnson. No doubt some of you will disregard that as well

This offer that we're "pretty sure" Posh made, then, do we think this was:

a. We're a Championship club, we need a Championship manager/HC, or

b. We're as good as gone here, we need someone to give get us firing in L1?

What is football's view of LJ's level, would you say? Let's leave us Bristol City fans out of this! we come to this already decided and with prejudice. 

3 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

What is football's view of LJ's level, would you say? Let's leave us Bristol City fans out of this! we come to this already decided and with prejudice. 

To get the Sunderland job, football must have quite a high view of you. His level is lower half champ/top L1 at the moment.

I reckon he tuned Peterborough down as he didnt want to be seen copying his Dad.

Im not prejudiced about Johnson. He is not the worst coach like some on here portray. For me he is a young up and coming coach who needs to work on his man-management skills 

• Like 1

On 22/05/2022 at 00:11, billywedlock said:

He has achieved nothing and left our club in financial turmoil with a poorly balanced squad , overpaid average players and no discernible playing style . Dishing up the most boring football seen in decades  despite a spending spree on wages and transfer fees never seen in our history. Some legacy that.

Thankfully Sunderland got rid , so they could get promoted . He was on another losing streak , as they had seen the previous season . Could not risk it again , and were justified by being unbeaten since Feb , with a win percentage better than Billy BS . ( his record did not last long ) and promotion. 

Biggest blagger ever. 

Apart from that,,do you quite like him,Billy??

On 20/05/2022 at 07:25, Rob k said:

Zero achievements?

coached at a time where our players were going for fees like we have never seen before regularly. You may not like him but to say he never achieved anything here is wrong 

His achievements here ultimately mean nothing if we were in a better position overall (including financials) before he arrived.

The entire up-tradingbstratehy was a huge risk that simply was not necessary, and the more of SC's squad that was replaced, the less of a 'team' it became.

LJs man-management is woeful.

Zero achievements?

coached at a time where our players were going for fees like we have never seen before regularly. You may not like him but to say he never achieved anything here is wrong 

His achievements here ultimately mean nothing if we we're in a better position overall (including financials) before he arrived. Ultimately the spending completely outstripped overall progress and was costly.

The entire up-trading strategy was a huge risk that simply was not necessary, and the more of SC's squad that was replaced, the less of a 'team' it became.

LJs man-management on the whole was and is woeful.

He may be a good coach. But he simply is not a good manager.

At best he was mediocre.

Zero achievements?

His achievements here ultimately mean nothing if we we're in a better position overall (including financials) before he arrived. Ultimately the spending completely outstripped overall progress and was costly.

The entire up-trading strategy was a huge risk that simply was not necessary, and the more of SC's squad that was replaced, the less of a 'team' it became.

At best he was mediocre.

Zero achievements?

At best he was mediocre.

1 hour ago, Fuber said:

At best he was mediocre.

2 hours ago, Fuber said:

His achievements here ultimately mean nothing if we were in a better position overall (including financials) before he arrived.

The entire up-tradingbstratehy was a huge risk that simply was not necessary, and the more of SC's squad that was replaced, the less of a 'team' it became.

LJs man-management is woeful.

1 hour ago, Fuber said:

At best he was mediocre.

1 hour ago, Fuber said:

At best he was mediocre.

1 hour ago, Fuber said:

At best he was mediocre.

I think I understood your point the first time!!!!

:facepalm:

8 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Do you have the same opinion of Klopp, Mourinho, successive Man U and Chelsea managers, all of whom kowtow to a transfer "committee" that decide which players are brought in? Of course the manager/head coach is consulted on which players are being scouted and who prospective signings are, however the modern model does not give the manager the overall and ultimate responsibility of signing who they want to. It has been like this at the top clubs for quite a few years, so it's surprising some fans are still confused about how things work. When Mark Ashton rocked up at Ipswich, are you expecting us to believe that Paul Cook had a list of 23 players that he wanted to sign, and that Ashton purely did the administrative work behind the deals? 

With respect, you couldn't possibly know that. I don't either btw, however I'd put to you that it is very unlikely that in 4 years LJ did not privately express concerns regards Ashton. Very unlikely. 

Klopps players are brought into to fit a model of play. This vision, that identity was created by Jurgen Klopp. 

Lee Johnsons identity ... He didn't have one.

3 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Klopps players are brought into to fit a model of play. This vision, that identity was created by Jurgen Klopp. 

Lee Johnsons identity ... He didn't have one.

He did have one. It’s just that the recruitment didn’t match it. 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Then its NOT a model of play .. He should have resigned. 

I suspect he thought he could be successful here, despite the compromises and drawbacks involved - the CEO being the major one.

"I could write a book about some of the things that have gone on" is, pretty much, the verbatim quote he gave to supporters at one point. 

I think we can make an educated guess as to what he was referring to. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I suspect he thought he could be successful here, despite the compromises and drawbacks involved - the CEO being the major one.

"I could write a book about some of the things that have gone on" is, pretty much, the verbatim quote he gave to supporters at one point. 

I think we can make an educated guess as to what he was referring to. 

Maybe he can explain in his book how HE signed Lee Tomlin wanting to buld a side around him, then months later how he wanted the team to press high up the pitch .. 

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

You've just illustrated @Harrypoint perfectly, that recruitment didn't match the system/style of play. 

In 2016 Lee Johnson said he wanted his teams to press as part of the clubs identity, HE had signed Lee Tomlin to press. 

Its illustrates my point. Perfectly. 

30 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Maybe he can explain in his book how HE signed Lee Tomlin wanting to buld a side around him, then months later how he wanted the team to press high up the pitch .. 

9 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

You've just illustrated @Harrypoint perfectly, that recruitment didn't match the system/style of play. 

Yes. Anyone who saw LJ's reaction to the fans singing "sign him up" when the players were parading in front of the Atyeo last match of the season, would all have their doubts as to who's signing he really was.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

And perfectly illustrates the weakness of LJ. Ask Jamie what Steve thinks about this theory Your mate has got it a little wrong and somewhat misguided peddling an excuse based theory that is far from fact .  think you might get blown out of the water when you hear the owners version . You and Harry should be LJ agent , never heard so much BS in my life . You have been totally conned and taken up the proverbial garden path with your pants down . 

I take it you disagree then ?

No worries 

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

Integrity. 

I don’t know if there are many people in the world who’d give up a highly paid job which they enjoy because they felt there were a few challenges and it wasn’t all going their way. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

In 2016 Lee Johnson said he wanted his teams to press as part of the clubs identity, HE had signed Lee Tomlin to press. 

Its illustrates my point. Perfectly. 

Follow the script

He had no say in it , but wanted to keep his job 

Oh but Brownhill and Webster were his signings ........

16 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

And perfectly illustrates the weakness of LJ. Ask Jamie what Steve thinks about this theory Your mate has got it a little wrong and somewhat misguided peddling an excuse based theory that is far from fact .  think you might get blown out of the water when you hear the owners version . You and Harry should be LJ agent , never heard so much BS in my life . You have been totally conned and taken up the proverbial garden path with your pants down . 

I usually enjoy your posts but you've been pretty aggressive and insulting on this thread, which is disappointing. So, I'll keep this short...

It's hugely ironic that you excuse me and Harry of being "conned" because you think we believe one side of the story, whilst you have clearly taken Steve Lansdown's version of events (whatever they are) as gospel. That makes you look a little daft and naive. 

And if you are gullible enough to fall for the "he's Jamie's mate" bs then even more fool you. 

You & others are generally clueless as to who my sources are in football. They are certainly not restricted to players and managers and go to the very top of football clubs, including City. 

But come on please, tell us what Steve's version of events are? I'm up for a laugh. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harry said:

He did have one. It’s just that the recruitment didn’t match it. 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Or work with what you’ve got. Why would someone resign? 

It comes down to him saying that HE had final say on all signings.

Now you either think, he's lying to save face as it was actually Ashton or someone making signings over his head. 
Or he really didn't have a direction or set plan, and really was collecting players in a hope to sell on at profit.

As someone who had been given ample time to, pick a shape/system/style etc, it never really did seem that focused. 
There are loads of decisions you could point to, but to me, he just seemed too keen on learning different techniques/set-ups/ideas and never forming his own direction.

The same thing that made me think he could be good, ended up meaning it wouldn't work. Keen to learn new stuff, but kept jumping from idea to idea.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1960maaan said:

It comes down to him saying that HE had final say on all signings.

Now you either think, he's lying to save face as it was actually Ashton or someone making signings over his head. 
Or he really didn't have a direction or set plan, and really was collecting players in a hope to sell on at profit.

As someone who had been given ample time to, pick a shape/system/style etc, it never really did seem that focused. 
There are loads of decisions you could point to, but to me, he just seemed too keen on learning different techniques/set-ups/ideas and never forming his own direction.

The same thing that made me think he could be good, ended up meaning it wouldn't work. Keen to learn new stuff, but kept jumping from idea to idea.

There is also an element of man management to this. He would probably have been worried about how the players would react if he were to say, "well I am doing my best with this lot, but they aren't the players I would have chosen to sign". I am sure Mr Wedlock would have been to quick use that as a further stick to beat him with.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Follow the script

He had no say in it , but wanted to keep his job 

Oh but Brownhill and Webster were his signings ........

You STILL don't understand how a transfer committee works, do you? There's plenty of articles out there explaining it. 

Not exactly hard to work out Brownhill, and indeed Watkins for that matter, were LJ suggestions, is it? 

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

There is also an element of man management to this. He would probably have been worried about how the players would react if he were to say, "well I am doing my best with this lot, but they aren't the players I would have chosen to sign". I am sure Mr Wedlock would have been to quick use that as a further stick to beat him with.

I take your point, but just so fans knew there was another side to it, and that all questionable decisions weren't down to him, it would surely made his job easier to say there were others involved. It would explain things to the fans and maybe taken some pressure off of himself.

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

You STILL don't understand how a transfer committee works, do you? There's plenty of articles out there explaining it. 

Not exactly hard to work out Brownhill, and indeed Watkins for that matter, were LJ suggestions, is it? 

Oh yes Kid I certainly do , even without all your contacts through English Football

No personal take on it from you of course on behalf of someone involved

Edited by Sheltons Army

6 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

I have been a critic of Steve too , he has made many errors. The prime one being Lee J . 
you were set up like a kipper when LJ was around. It was funny to watch. I also like your posts but you have a blind side . If you know Steve as you claim then you would not be saying what you have . 

Hehe you are genuinely clueless I'm afraid. And yes, I can remember your staunch criticism of both SL and MA. Furious you were at SL's management of the club. Very sweet that that's all now forgotten. You made no mention at the time to me that you found my posts so amusing, on the contrary, it was like after like... 

Very strange about turn. Hope you're OK. 

1 minute ago, Sheltons Army said:

Oh yes Kid I certainly do , even without all your contacts through English Football

Doesn't show, I'm sorry to say. 

• Haha 1