IGNORED

LJ to Hibs

ScottishRed

On 12/05/2022 at 23:14, BS4 on Tour... said:

Well, that’s interesting, although having followed The Jags home and away thoughout the 1980s and 1990s I know how much club loyalty means to Scottish football fans - the fact both Lee Johnson and Jamie McAllister played for the Jam Tarts would instantly turn an Easter Road crowd against them - despite futile attempts from south of the border to play down and ridicule Scottish football, I have never witnessed passion, rivalry hatred, getting behind your team and obviously caring so bl**dy much as I did during my many years following the Harry Wraggs from Maryhill - some of the memories still move me to tears ... as you were ?✌️?

LJ hardly played for them and McAllister is a Man United fan from Glasgow. I doubt they'll care too much. 

Must have been interesting following Hibs in the 80s, they had a pretty renowned set of troublemakers! 

13 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

LJ hardly played for them and McAllister is a Man United fan from Glasgow. I doubt they'll care too much. 

Must have been interesting following Hibs in the 80s, they had a pretty renowned set of troublemakers! 

Re LJ I posted this before, he played 4 games in 2006 for them, so he’s hardly their record appearance holder, is he?

I am no fan of that lot over the river but if we appointed someone as our manager who had played that few games for them it wouldn’t bother me in the slightest.

5 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

This job feels like it needs to be a successful one, otherwise his stock is going to be pretty low. 

If he does a good job every chance he'll be back in the Championship after.

• Like 1

I think the thing with Hibs is that all you need to be is 3rd to be a success. They’re not competing with Rangers or Celtic really - Aberdeen are in a bit of a mess post McInnes and the ask is really to be “best of the rest” outside the Old Firm. If LJ gets 3rd or 4th and cup run(s) then if I were him I’d start looking back south before the stock worsens again, as delivering those finishes on a sustained basis for anyone outside R&C is like trying to string together league titles 

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think the thing with Hibs is that all you need to be is 3rd to be a success. They’re not competing with Rangers or Celtic really - Aberdeen are in a bit of a mess post McInnes and the ask is really to be “best of the rest” outside the Old Firm. If LJ gets 3rd or 4th and cup run(s) then if I were him I’d start looking back south before the stock worsens again, as delivering those finishes on a sustained basis for anyone outside R&C is like trying to string together league titles 

Yep, that's the way he'll be looking at it.

McInnes at Aberdeen won a League Cup and reached 3 other finals, plus 4 consecutive second place finishes (2 when Rangers weren't in the division, 2 when they were but were re-establishing themselves) which was enough to get him linked with various English jobs, and his record in England is nowhere near LJs.

1 hour ago, Charlie BCFC said:

Can’t believe I’m seeing Hibs fans turning their nose up at him. Can’t see them getting much better if I’m honest. Anyone else think he could take Moore/Vyner/O’Dowda with him?

Moore would be a good shout to be fair, not going to get going here now, and currently (or recently at least) has been up in Scotland. LJ was a big fan, although did throw him under the bus at some point (can't remember when).

O'Dowda supposedly has Championship interest, and I imagine would get a better salary at this level. That being said, LJ is great at bigging himself/things up so maybe a greater possibility of getting European football, and if he kicks on, maybe a move back to England on an even better contract, may be enough to entice COD north. For what it's worth, if he were able to stay injury free, he could look very good in Scotland.

Vyner I'm not so sure about. If he was interested in Zac, then I imagine it wouldn't cost them much/if anything.

Also depends on what finances he has available to him. Let's not forget he was given anything/everything he wanted here (so to speak) and Sunderland aren't exactly low payers either. He would know roughly what all three of those players were on though.

8 minutes ago, Taz said:

Moore would be a good shout to be fair, not going to get going here now, and currently (or recently at least) has been up in Scotland. LJ was a big fan, although did throw him under the bus at some point (can't remember when).

As desperate as we are to get rid of our deadwood this summer, I cannot believe Johnson would be daft enough to sign an ex-Hearts player for Hibs, and one who's been average at best for Hearts at that. 

That wouldn't so much be getting off on the wrong foot with Hibs supporters as shooting himself in both feet before he's barely started the job.  

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

32 minutes ago, Taz said:

O'Dowda supposedly has Championship interest, and I imagine would get a better salary at this level. That being said, LJ is great at bigging himself/things up so maybe a greater possibility of getting European football, and if he kicks on, maybe a move back to England on an even better contract, may be enough to entice COD north. For what it's worth, if he were able to stay injury free, he could look very good in Scotland.

Vyner I'm not so sure about. If he was interested in Zac, then I imagine it wouldn't cost them much/if anything.

Also depends on what finances he has available to him. Let's not forget he was given anything/everything he wanted here (so to speak) and Sunderland aren't exactly low payers either. He would know roughly what all three of those players were on though.

Vyner did reasonably well at Aberdeen.  Remember LJ bigging him up and comparing him to Lloyd Kelly.

Also could be an ideal destination for Kasey Palmer on a season long loan.

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

As desperate as we are to get rid of our deadwood this summer, I cannot believe Johnson would be daft enough to sign an ex-Hearts player for Hibs, and one who's been average at best for Hearts at that. 

That wouldn't so much be getting off on the wrong foot with Hibs supporters as shooting himself in both feet before he's barely started the job.  

Spot on, but as someone has subsequently said, Vyner is a possible.

He did well at Aberdeen, is versatile & has a great availability record.

Would think he could be accommodated in their wage structure & although he’s not had the happiest season here, I genuinely think they could do a lot worse.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Would think he could be accommodated in their wage structure & although he’s not had the happiest season here, I genuinely think they could do a lot worse.

You’d think he’d probably go in as one of their highest paid. I would want Vyner anywhere near the top of my wage structure. 

21 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Liam Fontaine revitalised his career up there, no reason Zak couldn't do the same.

• Like 3