IGNORED

Rob Edwards - Watford

Silvio Dante

2 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

I think there will be a time when we start to see female coaches appointed to the coaching staff at football teams. It's certainly starting to happen in the NFL.

Through those introductions, maybe the opportunities will come to be head coach at a later stage. This current policy of bringing Ex-Pl players into management as soon as possible *Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney as examples) must be grating for lower league managers who have succeeded at their level, but don't have the same profile.

For someone like Hayes, who is at the top of the women's game, she would have to see herself as some sort of trailblazer for women's rights to take a job at L1/L2. Professionally I don't see the attraction for her, other than to say "Look Women can achieve just as much as men".

She's already competing against male mangers both domestically, and in Europe in the Women's game. To have to prove that in the men's game as well could be seen as being a misogynist. 

I agree Neil , It must be very frustrating , but what Lampard , Gerrard and Rooney have is (In professional footballers eyes)

‘Credibility’

Theyve been there , as players at the very top of the game , and performed and succeeded 

When Gerrard asks you to follow a tactical instruction , it’s hard to say ‘What do you know’ !!

Their status gives them a free period of grace and a gold starting point , if not a golden lasting ticket

I’ve seen the reaction of players , and staff at City over the years , and within the professional game , to ‘outsiders’ (Those without a proven background in the professional game) - I’d say a lot if not the vast majority are defensive and generally dismissive , a very enclosed world

That ability to ‘ throw your medals on the table ‘, or actually a creditable background at that level of the game is a massive starting point and help. It won’t last forever if they are completely clueless or poor man managers but it’s a lot harder to earn the time , to earn their respect by proving on the job with no or limited credibility (In their eyes)

Not unlike a lot of our occupations , where those commenting from the outside are treated with scepticism or even disdain ‘because they don’t know or understand our job’

From what I’ve seen Football has to be one of the worst, and that , in my experience is at all levels of football from the local leagues all the way up - If you haven’t played at that level or already proved your success as a coach or manager at that level , you are pushing upwards from the start

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

That's why I have more respect for Rooney, than Lampard. 

I don't know enough about who is out there, but I'm sure there are plenty of highly respected women managers/coaches in the game who might be interested. She'd have to be tough to withstand the pressures of being that 'groundbreaker' but I'm they would rise to the challenge.

14 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

You are spot on about Rooney Max.

I never liked his life choices, and thought he would crash; and burn at Derby. But fair play to him, he has proved me wrong and stuck with them through some terrible times.

100% more respect for him now that say 18 months ago.

As for Lampard, he's just a bluffer isn't he? That season at Derby with Wilson, Mount & Tomori. Calling in all the favours from his old club, and then jumping into the Chelsea job based on what???

Terrible appointment for Everton as well given their predicament at the time. He'll be gone in 6 months anyhow. 

Agree with you both re Rooney

He doesn’t need the money , took on a difficult job at Derby when it would have been easier to duck it , and best of all , when things got really tough showed loyalty and leadership

I think he has gained a lot of respect 

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I don't really know much about Lampard but feel like he has been groomed by the elite for the more glamorous jobs. He might be a capable manager but won't know until he's worked in a more challenging situation. 

Well the previous season 17/18 to Lampard going there, they finished 6th under Rowett. Exactly the same position as they finished under Lampard in 2018/19 season.

He bought in Mount, Tomori, Wilson on loan. All with big loan fees.

Ashley Cole on big wages, and then splashed the cash on Waghorn (£5m), Marriott (£3m), and Jozafzoon from Brentford (£2.75m).

He sold their top scorer from the previous (Vydra) to Burnley for £11m; and an obscure Austrian forward/midfielder (who went on to do nothing (called Weimann for £2m to another championship team ?.

On arriving at Chelsea he spanked over £200m on players, after a season of having to work with young players due to the transfer ban. And what did he do with these wonderful new players? He put the club into free fall.

Everton have spent £500m on their squad. His current record there is P15, W5, L8, D2 Goals scored 13, conceded 21. I think it's fair to say that in a number of those wins he is thankful to Pickford; who single handledly seems to be keeping Everton up at the moment.

Given that he has managed Chelsea, and Everton; his overall  PL record of P72, W 33, L26 , D13 is somewhat unremarkable.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TomF said:

What's not working sorry? Ignored Users seems fine for me as long as you go to https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/ignore/ and put in the username??

Thanks, just tried that but still not working for me.

Poster's name showing up on 'users currently being ignored' but posts still showing.

38 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

I agree Neil , It must be very frustrating , but what Lampard , Gerrard and Rooney have is (In professional footballers eyes)

‘Credibility’

Theyve been there , as players at the very top of the game , and performed and succeeded 

When Gerrard asks you to follow a tactical instruction , it’s hard to say ‘What do you know’ !!

Their status gives them a free period of grace and a gold starting point , if not a golden lasting ticket

I’ve seen the reaction of players , and staff at City over the years , and within the professional game , to ‘outsiders’ (Those without a proven background in the professional game) - I’d say a lot if not the vast majority are defensive and generally dismissive , a very enclosed world

That ability to ‘ throw your medals on the table ‘, or actually a creditable background at that level of the game is a massive starting point and help. It won’t last forever if they are completely clueless or poor man managers but it’s a lot harder to earn the time , to earn their respect by proving on the job with no or limited credibility (In their eyes)

Not unlike a lot of our occupations , where those commenting from the outside are treated with scepticism or even disdain ‘because they don’t know or understand our job’

From what I’ve seen Football has to be one of the worst, and that , in my experience is at all levels of football from the local leagues all the way up - If you haven’t played at that level or already proved your success as a coach or manager at that level , you are pushing upwards from the start

Really interesting post @Sheltons Army thank you.

Makes the whole story around Mourinho seem even more unbelievable in a way. As he was just Robson's interpreter at Barcelona I believe.

It's funny in some ways how some top coaches never played at the top level (Klopp, Wenger being two good examples).

I think the best managers surround themselves with the best coaching teams, knowing that they can't do it all. I find it hilarious now, how many coaches there seem to be at clubs in the PL. Each team's bench seems to contain about 20+ coaches, with a number of them being ex-managers that haven't quite been able to do the job themselves (Paul Clement at Everton, Gary McAllister at Villa) and many more of course. 

You're right about football being in effect a "jobs for the boys and my mates". A very closed house, to outsiders, and those that haven't gone out for drinks with the managers for the last 25 years. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Thanks, just tried that but still not working for me.

Poster's name showing up on 'users currently being ignored' but posts still showing.

You need to tick the posts option if you want to stop seeing their posts - if you just add them without ticking anything it appears to do nothing except add them to the list.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, View from the Dolman said:

You need to tick the posts option if you want to stop seeing their posts - if you just add them without ticking anything it appears to do nothing except add them to the list.

That's done the trick, many thanks. ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I've got the feeling that it was…I seem to remember the discussion on here at the time.

Ah, thanks, couldn’t remember if it was Emma or others (wrongfully) on her behalf.

Surely Gabriela Benson was the pioneer though ?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

one of the best football teams in the world

15 hours ago, Selred said:

one of the best women teams around. 

Well. I didn’t realise mentioning Emma Hayes would end in a 2-page argument over womens football! 

The two quotes above should be enough to close the argument. 

Chelsea Women’s Football Team are one of the best ‘womens’ football teams in the world. I think the first quote is purposely enticing confrontation, as they are quite clearly not one of the best football teams in the world. 
The simple insertion of the word ‘women’ makes the statement correct. 

The womens game has its own place in its own right and I don’t know anyone who doesn’t wish the best for girls and women playing football, and women have every right to be employed in mens football clubs if they are deemed as worthy candidates for the role. 
But we do need to separate the two. Mens football and womens football share the same rules and regulations but they are not comparable. 

Just as an example, take athletics, and the 100 metre sprint. There are literally thousands of male athletes who have ran faster than the fastest ever female time. 
So the sentence “Florence Griffith Joyner is one of the fastest athletes in the world” is not correct, but if you were to say “Florence Griffith Joyner is one of the fastest female athletes in the world”, then this would be factually correct. 

I think it’s important to keep the male and the female game as separate entities when making comparisons. Quite clearly Chelsea women are not one of the best football teams in the world, but they are very clearly one of the best womens football teams in the world. And all power to them. Women deserve recognition in their own right. By comparing them to men dilutes their own game and their own achievements, in my opinion. 

I think bouncearoundtheground got the confrontation he/she was purposely looking for. 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1

49 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Ah, thanks, couldn’t remember if it was Emma or others (wrongfully) on her behalf.

Surely Gabriela Benson was the pioneer though ?

I appreciate you were joking, but Corinne Diacre, the current French women's team manager, might be considered as a pioneer.

Ten years or so ago, she managed Clermont for a few years in the French 'Second Division', with moderate success, a first in French football.

Somewhat ironically, given some of the comments on here, she replaced the original choice, the successful Portuguese Coach, Helena Costa, who resigned shortly after being appointed, without even taking up the post, claiming the Club was too 'amateurish' ?.     

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, phantom said:

Ian Burchnall (former Notts County Manager) appointed as new head coach at FGR

Never heard of him.

Put me in mind of the former Leicester player Alan Birchenall, but he must be getting on a bit now!

4 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

Interesting conversation yesterday on talksport where Leanne Sanderson seemed to suggest that only the premier league would be a step up for Emma Hayes should she come over to the mens game. Thought it was laughable to be honest. Any of the four divisions would be a step up I’m sure. 

Well she’s not going to have from top end Prem and Champions League to League Two.  Give her any job and I’m sure she’d do well 

• Haha 1